Parting Gift from Dish

But they have no problems "eating the cost" for shipping the gear to you.

Again, I'm not saying they're not allowed to charge to return equipment, just that it's not a good impression to leave with a customer that you would presumably want back.

I fully understand your point. I doubt that most people have the same reaction that the OP has, though. If I'm terminating service with a company, and I have some of their equipment, I think it's reasonable to believe that they want their equipment back. I would be very pleased to learn that I can return it for a mere cost of $10 and not have to find a box to ship it in. Just my perspective.

heres a good question:)

if the departing sub feels the return fee is a rip off, i wonder how many friends family co workers etc they tell?

so not only will the departing sub never get dish again, they will discourage others......

all bad for sub growth

I fully understand your point. I doubt that most people have the same reaction that the OP has, though. If I'm terminating service with a company, and I have some of their equipment, I think it's reasonable to believe that they want their equipment back. I would be very pleased to learn that I can return it for a mere cost of $10 and not have to find a box to ship it in. Just my perspective.
Oh, I understand them wanting their gear back. I think the better PR move is for Dish to say "here's a box and shipping label", or "take it to an authorized reseller and drop it off" vs. charging $10. Or, charge people based on length of term... $10 if you were there 2 years or less, and $0 for 5+ years (graduated in between).

If someone upgrades (say to a DVR), do they have to pay to ship the old receiver back?

Reactions: david_jr and Tampa8
Part of the problem is emotional. You are already unhappy with Dish or you wouldn't be cancelling. So now they charge you for equipment return. It's not the amount it's the the feeling that they are punishing you for leaving. What is really funny is how many incredible offers I receive every month from Directv to please come back. The offer I received yesterday included a $200 Visa gift card and programming for $50 mo and a free Genie. I know Dish has similar offers to get customers back so making them feel vindictive with a $10 return charge doesn't really make sense if they eventually will offer them the house to return.

Reactions: sam_gordon
I thought I owned my equipment. vip222. and I get the 250 channels because the wife wants two hallmark channels, food, and hgtv. she hasn't watched any of the other movies in years. we pay 165 for phone, internet and 250 channels. social security check pays the bill but it takes a good chunk of it. and I have two dishes in the back yard for fta. that's my choice for tv. chas
If those are the only channels you need, you could get by with Welcome Pack for $19.99 per month plus Dish Movie Pack ($10 per month regular price, $5 per month for six months, or free for one month (or three months) depending on what deal you can get) or Heartland Package ($6 per month regular price, $3 per month for six months, or free for one month (or three months) if those deals are still available to new Welcome Pack subscribers) for Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. Or, you could just rely on the frequent free previews of HMM to save the cost of the add-on package if you don't like the other channels in the add-on.

Unless you have a Genie, DTV usually doesn't want the equipment back. They sent me one prepaid plastic bag to send a receiver for recycling. I took the other three to Staples.
Directv told me that they did not want the H25 (non-DVR HD receiver) back, and that I could recycle it. Then, they charged me a $45 fee for not returning it. :mad: It is a good thing that I held onto it, so I could make Directv reverse that charge and pay for the shipping both ways to send me a box to return their supposedly unwanted equipment.

Directv told me that they did not want the H25 (non-DVR HD receiver) back, and that I could recycle it. Then, they charged me a $45 fee for not returning it. :mad: It is a good thing that I held onto it, so I could make Directv reverse that charge and pay for the shipping both ways to send me a box to return their supposedly unwanted equipment.
Of course they didn't want it. They wanted the money for it instead, and hoped you wouldn't notice or care to bother fighting it. :)

Dish pulls these same tactics.
I've already been charged $300
6 days after my last cancelled account in 2010 for Unreturned 722 and 612, even though I was told I had 14 days to return the equipment.

I Highly doubt I was the only person that experienced this in the past.
Thats why its best you have a credit card on file, and not a debit card.

I had that charge reversed in less than 24 hours and there was nothing Dish could do.
But had that been someones debt card, well thats a Dirty trick.

Reactions: pattykay
14 days is typical of when Box is received. I don't know your situation, Troch, but the way the system is supposed to work is 30 days from the date of cancellation, whether you receive a box or not.

14 days is typical of when Box is received. I don't know your situation, Troch, but the way the system is supposed to work is 30 days from the date of cancellation, whether you receive a box or not.
One time with Dish, I deactivated a leased receiver and never received a box to return it, but I reactivated that receiver a month later to avoid being charged the non-return fee.

Happens all too frequently. Another reason I fled DTV.

Reactions: Tampa8 and pattykay
I get what he's saying. I think it unreasonable to get the package he wants at that price.

They all nickel and dime you. It's silly because folks usually come back. Also, if they upset a departing customer they most likely share their bad experience.
So they possibly lost more then one future paying customer.

What I take exception to is the
Technology fee on receivers.
That irks me. That's just a money grab. Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I understand them wanting their gear back. I think the better PR move is for Dish to say "here's a box and shipping label", or "take it to an authorized reseller and drop it off" vs. charging $10. Or, charge people based on length of term... $10 if you were there 2 years or less, and $0 for 5+ years (graduated in between).

Like that idea alot. People's memory fades sometimes and a few years later the thought is why did I leave DISH or xxx.... Maybe I'll try them again. But less likely if the last transaction was not pleasant. Better for DISH to tell a 5+ year customer we are waiving the return fee and hope you decide to use DISH services again.

If they are getting a refund from Dish, they probably don't even notice it's ten dollars short. They're happy and did not expect anything in the first place. As was posted earlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts