Parting out dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
One of my other hobbies is collecting arcade games and one controversial topic is parting out games. Some people buy whole games for specific parts and trash the cabinet while others prefer to keep the cabinet intact.
What are opinions on parting out dishes? If you had the opportunity to get a dish that wasn't suitable for your needs, but you could use the lnbf, motor, etc., would you do it and trash the rest (assuming you couldn't find any other takers for the leftovers)?

Sure, if there was something I could use out of the deal, I'd take it. Hang on to the rest, if any of it was usable. I have a lot of room to store and pile pieces and parts here, but eventually the non-fixable, non-serviceable stuff gets hauled off for scrap. I wouldn't trash a good dish, or one that could be fixed.

I was looking at a 12 foot dish that I can't use right now. I'm in a rental and the six foot is the biggest I want to put in the yard at the moment (and my wife would kill me if I put it up. She thought my 39" was huge!). I might take it (provided it's still available) and store the pieces and see if I can use some of the other parts in the meantime.

I've got a local buddy with some old arcade games in his garage.
They need a new home.
Where are you located?

I agree with Turbo that I wouldn't trash a good dish to get parts.
But, if the dish were going to GET trashed, I'd sure want to pick at the bones!

Today, I got two dishes, two H-H motors, two poles, a nice Toshiba Analog receiver, and two old Birdview receivers.
The BV receivers, motor-mover box, LNBF, and some sort of multiswitch, are all junk to me.
I'll try to find someone who'll appreciate them , but eventually they'll need to give way to better stuff.
But at least I'll -try- to relocate them.

Now, about the only dish I'd take (haul away) would be one equipped with a BullsEye II (dual C-band, dual Ku-band/orthomode).
Short of that, I would probably turn my nose up at anything else.

But, everyone is different. Hey, maybe I'll trade you something I got for something you got (and can't use).
This forum connects so many folks trafficking in used (and historical) satellite goodies!

I'm in TN, otherwise I'd jump all over those games. If he's looking to get rid of them, I know a few people that would be glad to talk to him.

pieces make good dishes:

polarmounts, mesh sections, posts, etc, are all good stuff too.
Oh, absolutely ! - :cool:
I was lucky enough to get poles with both my dishes, yesterday.
Some fellows are clever enough to get good local surplus material, but not everyone.

Having read Turbo's postings for several years, I know he's used a left-over BUD polar mount to sling around a smaller offset dish.
Great use for it!

And apparently, he's squirreled away lots of mesh - he's always offering anyone nearby a piece if theirs is damaged!

I haven't looked yet, but I'm pretty sure I have a co-rotor and LNB that'll be going to a good home, eventually.

Linuxman has his eye on a Birdview with no LNB, scalar, nor mounting arms.
Headless, armless, Mona Lisa! - :cool:
I doubt anyone has spares, but he'll find parts to restore the dish to its former glory.
And since all (99%) of Birdviews are motorized with an H-H, even this one is quite a haul.

So, get that dish you can't use, and give away the parts you don't need, and don't feel bad about collecting a few goodies for your trouble! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.