Parts For Von Weise 24" Actuator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
Would anyone know where I could get a new one of these (bearing clamp) for a 24" Von Weise Actuator? See attached pictures. I called Von Weise and they told me they to not sell individual parts. They suggested that I buy a whole new actuator for $235.00 .... DUH! If I can't find a replacement, then I'll just have to clean up the one I have, grease it, and install it. Thank you in advance for your help! The I.D of the bracket is 1 3/4".

Attachments

• 20130723_142238.jpg
    20130723_142238.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 20130723_142304.jpg
    20130723_142304.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 273
I would never give up on my Von Weise Actuator! The last time I worked it over (tightened things up) I had to work the bushings over. It's nice they have zerk fittings to grease them ( which I don't do often enough). I have gotten stuck ones loosened with PB Blast a breaker bar and some heat. I takes some time but I think it's worth it. I have had to work on end play on mine, I tried another brand (some supper jack I think) I was so glad to get the Von Weise Actuator back installed.

Maybe not to the point and rambles but I do LOVE my Von Weise Actuator.

Eric

Go to McMaster Carr and buy a new heim joint the size you need then cut the stud off and weld it on that bracket after you cut the old one off.

On another note, I bought a new one of those back a couple of years ago but can't remember where I found it?? Yup, I'm soon to be 68 and suffer from CRS pretty bad now!

I wouldn't worry about grease and temperature as the shear rate is so low the grease would not impair the movement. Now, on faster moving items like gears, grease grade can make a difference.

I'd look at cutting and welding if you can't free it. I've put them in a vice with an impact wrench on a bolt cinched through the spherical with plenty of oil/lube on it. Go slow doing this as it'll heat up and start galling if you get out of control.

There i nothing wrong with the bearing clamp, use some PB Blast or WD40 let it soak for 30 min and tap it with a hammer from all sides.

Diesel fuel works well as a penetrant. Let it soak for a day. Then do post #7.
Just don't make it too loose or you will have play in that joint which is a bad thing!
Grease is more to minimize corrosion than make the joint move easier in this application.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)