Pathetic NEWBIE question...

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I'm totally out of the console gaming loop, so please forgive the newbie question:
If I want to play X-Box 360 in HD via component (on my Samsung DLP-HLN617W) using 2 wireless controllers, no interest in playing via internet, what do I need to purchase?
I'm assuming I need the following, but am I missing anything?
  • X-Box core system
  • additional wireless controller (one wireless controller comes with the core system, correct?)
  • X-Box 360 Component HD AV cable
  • games
I see so many different variations/bundles, that I'm just a little confused.
Thanks.

I disagree based on what you want, I would go with the Premium.

It comes with 1 wireless controller ($49.99) where the Core comes with 1 wired controller.

It comes with the component HD cable ($39.99) where the Core comes with composite.

It comes with the hard drive. This will be needed to save your games, (core you will have to buy a memory card $39.99) and if you have a lot of old XBox games and want backward compatibility.

For what you listed as your requirements, you will save money by buying the Premium.

Premium = 400
HD cable = free
extra wireless = 50
Total =450 plus tax and games, plus a free hard drive and i think the remote/headset comes with it but I think they changed what it comes with since launch...

Core =300
2 Wireless controllers = 100
HD Cable = 30
Total =430 plus tax and games. So you save 20 bucks but you won't have a hard drive (you want a hard drive, trust me) and you'll have an extra wired controller if it matters.

BTW, is the cable really component? The only ones I see on bestbuy's site are S-Video and a VGA cable but I thought it came with component...odd that they wouldn't sell it seperately...

Purogamer said:
Premium = 400
HD cable = free
extra wireless = 50
Total =450 plus tax and games, plus a free hard drive and i think the remote/headset comes with it but I think they changed what it comes with since launch...

Core =300
2 Wireless controllers = 100
HD Cable = 30
Total =430 plus tax and games. So you save 20 bucks but you won't have a hard drive (you want a hard drive, trust me) and you'll have an extra wired controller if it matters.

BTW, is the cable really component? The only ones I see on bestbuy's site are S-Video and a VGA cable but I thought it came with component...odd that they wouldn't sell it seperately...

go with the premium as mentioned above. it is worth it just for the hard drive.

OK, you sold me on it. You're right about the hard drive, though. I'd overlooked that.

You keep saying "premium". Does it say that on the box, or does just the absence of the word, "core system" suggest that it's the premium?

I'm sure it says it, but the way to tell is the box color as korsjs mentioned. Core is green and ugly, premium is white and ugly...

Other way to tell is the obvious price difference when you buy it...plus if you find it in the store it's probably the core, don't know if they've got any on the shelf yet or not, haven't hit the BB in a while...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts