Pause time - hopper vs. 522

daklinect

Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I just upgraded from a 522 to a hopper (w/sling). On the 522, you could simply hit PAUSE (for when someone unexpectedly shows up for a visit) and it would hold that buffer for up to two hours. My new hopper, however, seems to be limited to only one hour. Is there a setting somewhere or is that just the way it is? Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I did search the forums and found no prior discussions on the topic.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave

On the ViP and newer receivers, the buffer was shortened to 1 Hour, due to HD taking up more room on the HDDs.

For some reason Dish doesn't want you to pause, walk away, or ignore the TV at all. I'm constantly asked if I want it to shut down for updates while watching a recorded program that I am skipping through. If you let a recorded program end and you don't give it the attention it wants it will shut off to the floating screen. It always wants to update and there's nothing you can do about it. I've been told on this forum you should be thankful for the programming you have and not complain. If the box really shut down and cooled off I could understand somewhat but it sits there in standby mode cooking itself to what will probably be an early death.

Just hit RECORD. and not worry about running out of time and losing it all.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

On the ViP and newer receivers, the buffer was shortened to 1 Hour, due to HD taking up more room on the HDDs.
Rather than limiting it to 1 hour, Dish should allow a fixed size, thus SD would retain 2X that for HD and up to 6X that for OTA HD.
So if the limit were 1 hour of OTA, as now, then there may be up to 3 hours of satellite HD and even more for SD.
It might be harder to explain but it would useful although the ratio does vary by program content.
-Ken

For some reason Dish doesn't want you to pause, walk away, or ignore the TV at all. I'm constantly asked if I want it to shut down for updates while watching a recorded program that I am skipping through. If you let a recorded program end and you don't give it the attention it wants it will shut off to the floating screen. It always wants to update and there's nothing you can do about it. I've been told on this forum you should be thankful for the programming you have and not complain. If the box really shut down and cooled off I could understand somewhat but it sits there in standby mode cooking itself to what will probably be an early death.

Why not just change the time for the inactivity stand by? The default is 2 hours I believe but you can change it to 8 hours or turn it off altogether.

Why not just change the time for the inactivity stand by? The default is 2 hours I believe but you can change it to 8 hours or turn it off altogether.
He's just complaining for the sake of complaining.... The box doesn't "constantly" ask to shutdown and he's complaining that when there's no remote-control activity after a dialog box pops up, the screensaver turns on.

He's just complaining for the sake of complaining.... The box doesn't "constantly" ask to shutdown and he's complaining that when there's no remote-control activity after a dialog box pops up, the screensaver turns on.

I'm not complaining just to complain. After midnight I get asked at least every hour if I want to shut down for updates. It's annoying because it happen while I'm skipping through or fast forwarding. It's not due to remote inactivity. If I pause it will usually shut off way less than an hour sometimes in minutes. It has nothing to do with inactivity and the 8 hour setting has no bearing on it. Last I checked you weren't there so please do t speak for me. This system is very buggy at best. Lots of software issues. It gives me reason to complain. If yours works perfectly then good for you. Mine does not.

Back to the pause buffer issue. The following is a bug, but a useful one:

While paused, hit skip forward to advance one frame, the DVR will continue to buffer well past one hour, until inactivity timer or nighty reboot kicks in.

Last edited:

What?? You can change the standby mode (and even disable it) by pressing the yellow button > diagnostics > updates.

As for your Hopper defaulting to standby mode after watching a DVR event - I've never had that problem unless I've left my system unattended for 4 hours or it's trying to do it's nightly update at about 2a.

Rather than limiting it to 1 hour, Dish should allow a fixed size, thus SD would retain 2X that for HD and up to 6X that for OTA HD.
I prefer navychop's approach. If you don't want to miss something, record it.

Playing the buffer game is a lot like Russian roulette with five rounds in the revolver; one chance in several that you'll be happy with the result.

Back to the pause buffer issue. This is a bug, but a useful one:

While paused, hit skip forward to advance one frame, the DVR will continue to buffer well past one hour, until inactivity timer or nighty reboot kicks in.
Is this behavior in the Hopper only, or ViPs too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)