PBS 2009 updates for Montana pbs & other pbs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PBS does support C-Band at their site:

PBS | TV Schedules

But no mention of AMC-21.

Interesting. The web page referenced above used to just have PBS-X info on it, then it seemed like I couldn't get that web page to work for several years. I haven't seen any mention of TVRO-ers on PBS for a long time. Maybe I was just typing the URL wrong or something, but it looks like the same url I used to use.

Anyway, I find it interesting that for C-band, it mentions the AMC4 PBS X channel, but it also mentions "T-16" . I assume that this is G26??? I don't see any PBS station listed in Lyngsat on that sat. I seldom go to that sat, so I'm curious what they're referring to??? I don't remember seeing PBS there.

I'm also curious whether the DirecTV version of PBS-X is now the same as the C-band PBS-X? It used to be that the DirecTV version was 1 day delayed, ie a Sunday show would be on Monday, etc, etc. I Can't receive the DirecTV version, so I don't know if that's still the case, but the above web page has just one listing for both C-band and DirecTV, so I guess they are the same now.

it mentions the AMC4 PBS X channel, but it also mentions "T-16"
AMC 4 Transponder 16 - It's the Analog Feed

From the PBS Web Site....
Q. How can I receive PBS on my home satellite dish?
A. C-Band dish owners can access a clear analog feed of the PBS Satellite Service on SES Americom Satellite AMC 4, Transponder 16-C, horizontal polarity. AMC 4 is located at 101 degrees West longitude. Please note that the C-Band Clear Feed from PBS on Intelsat Satellite 1A (Transponder C-8) was terminated on May 31, 2006.

You can also find a Converter for the Optical to Analog here.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Analog-Converter/dp/B0019QHKKC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233503019&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter: Electronics[/ame]

Also after the February cut off what will be left in SD? Montana PBS or ???? Thanks! Blind:)

on 125 here is what is happening (see the pdf above but I'll summarize)

SD will be Montana PBS, V-Me, World & Create
HD is PBS East & West

As of 2/10/09 (or there abouts) there WILL NOT be a national PBS feed in SD on 125. It is going away

I'm also curious whether the DirecTV version of PBS-X is now the same as the C-band PBS-X? It used to be that the DirecTV version was 1 day delayed, ie a Sunday show would be on Monday, etc, etc.

it is the same now.

Quote:
it mentions the AMC4 PBS X channel, but it also mentions "T-16"

AMC 4 Transponder 16 - It's the Analog Feed

From the PBS Web Site....

DUH! I'm a dummy. For some reason I was thinking they were saying it was on two different satellites, ie AMC4 and Telstar-16, and in trying to figure out what the heck Telstar-16 would be, since some of the old Telstar sats changed to IA sats and then to Galaxy sats, I was guessing that they meant G-16..... boy, talk about convoluted {lack of} logic. I guess that's what comes from having a receiver that still has sats named T for Telstar.... whenever I see T, I think Telstar.
Anyway yeah, that should have been obvious to me.

Sorry.

Mt PBS satellite services is the service is the feed for translators throughout MT. Translators are not going digital in February. They will be analog until at least 2012. Montana PBS has to keep their satellite feed standard definition until 2012. The HD feed will be using a terrestrial microwave system. MT PBS does have an agreement to use five transponders on the satellite. Currently, they are only using two of them. One from Bozeman, and the other from Helena. The one from Helena they will be using until May, or until the legislature ends.

...Montana PBS has to keep their satellite feed standard definition until 2012...The HD feed will be using a terrestrial microwave system. MT PBS does have an agreement to use five transponders on the satellite. Currently, they are only using two of them....

Thank you. I was afraid of that. Maybe one day I'll watch them from here in HD...

Thanks! to all for their help on the PBS stuff. I thought it was an audio issue. Ok well I guess I'll start seriously thinking of the sonic voom now. Blind:)

most current info

basically TP21 (12120) is temporary and will be gone on 2/11/09. After that date all that will be left for PBS is HD. As mentioned above V-Me, World & Create will still be there in SD

I do not want to lose the Create Channel.

That is one of my favorite channels. This is an excellent channel that is a sort of blend of DIY Network, FOOD Channel, Fine Living and maybe a little of the Science and History channels as well.

I can still view Montana PBS and PBS West/East, but only on TPs12.104 GHz, and 12.116 GHz respectively.

AcWxRadar

I do not want to lose the Create Channel.
you're not. It will be on 12180 V 30000 as it is right now

I can still view Montana PBS and PBS West/East, but only on TPs12.104 GHz, and 12.116 GHz respectively.

12116 (12120) is going bye bye on 2/10/09 and the only PBS transponders active will be
12140 V 30000 PBS HD E & W
12180 V 30000 PBS HD feed, Create, World & V-Me

Mt PBS satellite services is the service is the feed for translators throughout MT. Translators are not going digital in February. They will be analog until at least 2012. Montana PBS has to keep their satellite feed standard definition until 2012...

? WHY ?

I'd bet that they only keep in analog until they get the equipment set up for digital. I know that in general translators don't HAVE to go digital, in fact there is a PBS translator near me that's staying analog for the time being, but I don't think that there is any mandate for translators to stay analog until 2012, just like there isn't any mandate for regular TV stations to stay analog until Feb of this year. One of my local stations cut off their analog almost a month ago, well ahead of the mandate.
Ie, I'd be real surprised if stations would continue to use analog going that long.

In Montana, there are over 500 translators. It will take about 3 years for the translators to be converted over to digital in Montana. Also, the feed goes to small cable systems in Montana. The small cable systems are exempt from FCC digital cable regulations.

In Montana, there are over 500 translators.

I'm assuming you meant 50? ;)

According to wiki there is 60

KUSM channel 9, known on-air as Montana PBS, is a PBS station that is based at Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana. The station's facilities are in the Visual Communications Building on campus. Programming can also be seen on KUFM-TV, channel 11 in Missoula, Montana, located at the University of Montana-Missoula, and on a network of 60 low-powered repeaters in Montana, plus statewide cable coverage.

The number you are refering to is not an accurate number. In the television market I live in, there are 60 translators that retranslate my local CBS station. The local ABC station has about 60 translators. In Sunday's paper in Great Falls, MT, there was an article about the low power rural stations. There's an article about the problems they are having with the changes to digital. They have to put the ABC and CBS stations on the satellite so they can be able to get the signal to the translators. I do not know at this time which satellite they are going on.

The Montana PBS station website says "in 150 communities"
About Us Broadcast Area

edit: after reading you meant "total translators" and not just for PBS ;)

MacDonald said he did not know how many of Montana's 424 licensed translators are ready for the conversion.
Low-power rural stations will continue in analog for several more years | greatfallstribune.com | Great Falls Tribune

here in MN we have about 125 translator stations. At our cabin until a year or so ago that is how we got all out local stations for the Big 4 was translators. The only one that is left is Fox. The others decided not to keep them running because the country we are in switched DMA"s about 5-6 years ago and most folks use satellite there

Hopefully the other networks will be FTA too! I know we all would enjoy that for a few years.

I guess satellite delivery of Montana PBS to the translators is much cheaper than say leased line or some point to point circuit switched link.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts