PBS local stations in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ericlhyman

Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
When will D* carry local PBS stations in HD or alternatively, the national PBS-HD feed?

Its amazing what HD can do for a channel, with PBS OTA HD the shows are so intresting!. I missed out on quite a bit

Yes PBS does a nice job with thier HD programming, if you can get it OTA you'll be better off yet.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Not really. WETA near DC runs "HD" on 26-1 & SD channels on -2 thru -4. So, needless to say, the "HD" - "ain't." Certainly not on my 61 incher. So I don't watch WETA anymore. I would, but the pixilation is horrible.

There hasn't been an implementation by the lawmakers of must-carry in the digital world, yet.

So, because the licenses allow for retransmission consent, the companies that can have a carriage agreement can do so. However, because there isn't an implementation for those stations which must request must-carry on their digital feeds, the DBS companies are loathe to start uplinking PBS affiliates when they are not required to do so.

Not really. WETA near DC runs "HD" on 26-1 & SD channels on -2 thru -4. So, needless to say, the "HD" - "ain't." Certainly not on my 61 incher. So I don't watch WETA anymore. I would, but the pixilation is horrible.

Is WETA your PBS ?
Granted My PBS has 1 HD and several other SD channels and sometimes the amount of other channels does interfere with the quaility of the HD channel, over all Iam pretty happy with the PBS HD I do recieve.

Jimbo

There are a number of problems with PBS. There is some concern that PBS as a national feed is unreasonable because a good deal of the content is local (especially fundraising). PBS does not want to be broadcast in HD unless DirecTV carries all of the subchannels. This would take considerably more bandwidth than one channel (even if the others were SD). In addition, PBS subchannels are not all 24/7.

To make a long story short, a $40 dollar antenna is a better alternative if you live even remotely close to a PBS station.

Charter Cable carried 1 HD PBS channel and about another 3-4 SD PBS channels, but the ones that I really like to watch was the 1 PBS-HD channel, I love the show Victory Garden at 9:30am on Saturdays...bummer I can't watch it anymore QQ.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)