PC-based DRV with EPG

chemie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
MI
I want to build a PC-based DVR with electronic program guide (EPG) that has Starchoice.

Beyond TV and Sage TV are expesnive ($100) and have a worrying warning that "they may stop providing free EPG at any time". I would hate to spend that money only to have them move to TiVo business model.

Meedio is no longer an option and the Yahoo version only support US customers so no Starchoice EPG Option.

MythTV is good but Linux-based and I know nothing about Linux. I would have to figure out how to get OS on PC, get right drivers, etc etc and then have to figure out how to get the EPG via XMLTV. Without a serious set of how-to for Linux newbie, it seems daunting.

So.....My question, what are people using out there for PC-based DVR with EPG for WindowsXP environment that is Starchoice EPG? (and not $100)

you need a starchoice box to subscribe to sc :)

Yes but once you come out of your STB you can go to Tuner card in a PC. Great for SD, not good for HD.

I use Sage and have it setup with Bell STB's. I have been with Sage for a couple years, they seem to know their users quite well and know they depend on the EPG to make the system work. The software is definitely worth the money and can be molded into a powerful system, there is however a learning curve and a bit of tweaking required to make the system work.

Sorry. Let me clarify. I have SC and will output the signal from the receiver to the PC. The PC can use IR to change changes.

I am looking for the software which duplicates EPG so I can choose recordings etc by show...just like regular DRV only based o nthe PC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)