Bourbon Tester
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_on_he_me/peanut_butter_salmonella_23

CDC tracks peanut butter contamination
By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer

ATLANTA - Government scientists struggled Thursday to pinpoint the source of the first U.S. salmonella outbreak linked to peanut butter, the kid favorite packed into millions of lunch boxes every day.

Nearly 300 people in 39 states have fallen ill since August, and federal health investigators said they strongly suspect Peter Pan peanut butter and certain batches of Wal-Mart's Great Value house brand — both manufactured by ConAgra Foods Inc. Shoppers across the country were warned to throw out jars with a product code on the lid beginning with "2111," which denotes the plant where it was made.

How the dangerous germ got into the peanut butter was a mystery. But because peanuts are usually heated to high, germ-killing temperatures during the manufacturing process, government and industry officials said the contamination may have been caused by dirty jars or equipment.

"We think we have very strong evidence that this was the brand of peanut butter. Now it goes to the next step of going to the place where the peanut butter was made and focusing in on the testing," said Dr. Mike Lynch, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The suspect peanut butter was produced by ConAgra at its only peanut butter plant, in Sylvester, Ga., federal investigators said. ConAgra said it is not clear how many jars are affected by the recall. But the plant is the sole producer of the nationally distributed Peter Pan brand, and the recall covers all peanut butter — smooth and chunky alike — produced by the plant from May 2006 until now.

For more details please click the link at top.

Last edited:
I found two jars in our pantry with the 2111 code!! One not yet opened, the other 90% eaten!!:eek:

Tom in TX

Different code on our PP PB. Jar is probably 5 years old, anyway!

Bye, Tom! ;)

I found two jars in our pantry with the 2111 code!! One not yet opened, the other 90% eaten!!:eek:

Tom in TX

Yea I had 4 in our pantry and had the 5th about finished also. I probably ate atleast 3-4 of the bad jars before this recall came out! I go through atleast 2 jars/week. Now I have something to blame my bad gas on :D

Well it seems that ConAgra Foods has turned me off for good now. I about three weeks ago bought some of their Chef Boyardee Spaghetti with Jumbo Meatballs that had something really wrong. The second I opened the can the smell was horrid. Next I poured it into the pot almost by instinct only to find it had no noodles at all. It was simply water with some white stuff along with three rock hard gray meatballs. This product was bought at a Walmart as well. First I don't blame Walmart but that along with this latest recall has lost all the trust I can have with ConAgra Foods. So I'll be switching to house brands and/or campbells now.

As far as PB&J I am a Jif and Smuckers family. Sad about your canned pasta, that is my kids (LOL and my favorite) we prefer the SpaghettiOs banded pastas, have you tried those? They were Franco-American, but Campbell's bought them out..

As far as PB&J I am a Jif and Smuckers family. Sad about your canned pasta, that is my kids (LOL and my favorite) we prefer the SpaghettiOs banded pastas, have you tried those? They were Franco-American, but Campbell's bought them out..

I'm a Skippy and Smuckers fan for PB&J. I've had the all the pasta products you have listed. I like these products as I tend to always need a midnight snack lol. I also love those roman bag noodle products that I can always buy at Market Basket for like 8 cents each. Sorry to say but if I can buy those for 8 cents each I see no reason why some of the world is starving. They can make a fire and have access to water most likely so why not give them noodles for dinner. I'm not joking either because I really mean all of this. Also the creamy chicken flavor is the best.:hungry:

I was addicted to the honey roasted Skippy. The only bad thing is no one else makes anything similar.

We had a big value-sized Peter Pan from Sam's Club, about 1/4 eaten; nobody got sick, and I suspect it is ok, but we returned it the other day.

I ate some Panner peanut butter from Save A Lot and my stomach just churned the next day and I got pains and was cramping really bad but I am going to guess that was just a coincidence. It did not have the same code on it.

Yep I have one of those here too :( :( :( I have had a weak stomach, and I got sick a lot for a period of time, especially around the time I ate the PB. I've been ok lately. Wonder if this is why or coincidence.....You can see the butter knife marks through the container :( . My wife is the one that says only JIF! I said its all the same! DOH! Also saw an episode on Discovery Health about that icecream, the kind my father in law was eating as we started watching......

I just emptied our PP Smooth into the trash (I was going to throw the whole jar out, but recycling guilt :eek: struck me). I guess we send the lid to Con Agra for another chance at Russian Roulette?

And why did it take from May of last year to finally decide to recall the product?

I saw on the news last night about numerous lawsuits being filed. It also said that if you haven't already, DO NOT throw out your Peter Pan. It might come in handy as "evidence" if some class action lawsuits are filed!
After all, it WAS ConAgra who is telling everyone to throw it out!!

Tom in TX

As far as I know this is the first time that peanut butter has ever had any kind of recall of for contamination like this. The Peter Pan brand of peanut butter is a very good brand that does have a strong household name. There are some wierd findings with this outbreak of food poisoning to consider though: (1) the cdc has been following an unusual outbreak of food poisoning that started last May. (2) Peanut butter is heated to a temp that would kill off any bacteria leaving the only possible source for contamination to be dirty jars. (3) The contamination has been off again / on again. (4) The Sylvester Georgia plant employes 14 employee's per a 2005 food documentary. (5) The plant does daily tests of its product and has not found any contamination.

If this is truely the source of the poisoning then I think that it has to be the jars getting contaminated and not the peanut butter just based on the facts alone. The plant itsself is heavily automated and they use very little human intervention through the whole process, I remember seeing the history channel documentary on peanuts last year and peanut butter and this particular brand and plant was part of that documentary.

Tom in TX if the one jar is mostly eaten and you and your family has gotten sick then that jar was not contaminated but to play it safe dont eat any of that and take the remaining jars to the market where you got it from.

I saw on the news last night about numerous lawsuits being filed. It also said that if you haven't already, DO NOT throw out your Peter Pan. It might come in handy as "evidence" if some class action lawsuits are filed!
After all, it WAS ConAgra who is telling everyone to throw it out!!

Tom in TX

And the wolves come out of the woods, lawyers and people should wait until actual proof is found where the contamination has come from before tying up the court systems with frivalous lawsuits ( I wonder how many of these are from people that actually got sick ).

And why did it take from May of last year to finally decide to recall the product?

Thats the cdc (A) dragging its heals (B) cdc playing eany meany miny moe (C) the cdc put this on the back burner infavour of handling the spinach and later the lettuce contamination because it affected mostly adults (D) the cdc is staffed by incompetants (E) all of the above.

NEW UPDATE 3/12/2007

FDA extends peanut butter recall Tribune - NEW 51 minutes ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — ConAgra Foods Inc. has extended its recall of all peanut butter produced at a plant in Georgia.

I can't find any newer updated manufacture ID or product codes to report, but maybe your local news will have them by tonight.

BUY JIF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)