Perfect Vision raves about VOOM

compson

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2003
I apologize if this has already been posted, but I don't see it anywhere. In its November/December issue, The Perfect Vision gives VOOM a 2004 Golden Eye Award. Jonathan Valin, its brilliant lead reviewer, raves: "If you're a movie lover who watches films on broadcast television as well as on DVD and wants to see them in the best video format currently available (HD), there's really only one choice: the VOOM satellite service. . . . With VOOM, watching a good film or an intersting show in HD isn't an occasional treat; it is routine." He sums up: "Instead of wringing your hands and gnashing your teeth and writing angry letters to the editor lambasting DirecTV or DISH Network or Time Warner cable for their msierable failure to embrace and support HD, do something about it! Subscribe to VOOM."

A Golden Eye is often mistaken for a week old Black Eye. :rolleyes: IMO, VOOM needs to stabilize service, correct accounting failures, installer bigger dish, release a DVR and add badly needed SD and HD channels before I can recommend them to others. I like 'em, but they are not ready for prime-time.

So does he comment about picture quality? other than format?

I feel that my Voom has never looked as good as D* HD did. I'm not sure if it's the bit rates or recievers or? I had used a Sony HD-100 on D*. But even how since D* lowerd their bit rate to for their HD-NFL stuff, I don't know if returning to D* HD would be better.

Anyone else care to comment on the Motorola/ Voom PQ ?

I think what Perfect Vision is saying is that they love the content/concept of V* as we all do....it's just the implementation of it thats so disconcerting. Among other things. ;)

I agree with compson, I have it and I love it, I dont have any billing issues and I have a DVD Ram recorder that I can use like a PVR and I will wait for the HD PVR (999.00) with Direct. How long did it take Dish or Direct to get a PVR? I dont think it was with in their first yr. If I wanted SD I would have stayed with Dish. Voom is HD, get with the program or be gone. If it is so bad the leave.

dziko said:
I agree with compson, I have it and I love it, I dont have any billing issues and I have a DVD Ram recorder that I can use like a PVR and I will wait for the HD PVR (999.00) with Direct. How long did it take Dish or Direct to get a PVR? I dont think it was with in their first yr. If I wanted SD I would have stayed with Dish. Voom is HD, get with the program or be gone. If it is so bad the leave.
D or E didn't have a PVR in their first year because the technology wasn't available. That was a bad example. I think Voom needs to improve on their current STB and get it working properly first before releasing another buggy box that they'll call a PVR.

Bob

ram1220 said:
D or E didn't have a PVR in their first year because the technology wasn't available. That was a bad example. I think Voom needs to improve on their current STB and get it working properly first before releasing another buggy box that they'll call a PVR.

Bob
I think they need to release whatever they have with free upgrades or replacement. My problem is that I havent seen a prototype and until I do I feel its just all lip service. Comeon, an empty box with software emulating what the DVR will do? Thats just inexcusable and ridiculous at this point.:mad:

ram1220 said:
D or E didn't have a PVR in their first year because the technology wasn't available. That was a bad example.

Or the 2 or 3 years after that when the technology was....

Even when the Tech was out they did not jump on it. Also They have a lot of issue look at the other forums. What is with all the talk about SD chanels? They knew that they did not have them when they ordered. So why did they order it? I dont want to be mean but if you look at the chanel line up you can see what they offer and if you cant be with out it then you need to go back to your orig provider or keep both. I love the Food network and Home and garden I would love for them to offer it but I would not hold that agenst them I odered it knowing that they did not have it.

I've lost faith in TPV. I always thought they were the Kings of TV PQ, I wonder what size screen they were watching on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)