Perfect Vision RG 6 cable question

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
Ok. Been having some troubles from Sadoun.com on a order of RG6 cable. Originally Ordered Perfect Vision #ULPVRG6SCBLK (1000' Solid copper) and they accidently sent me ULPVRG6BLK (1000' copper clad)

Now the replacement for that mistake they send PVCX1B (1000' solid copper) what is the difference between PVCX1B and the original ULPVRG6SCBLK? I emailed them that question no response yet. But I want a second opinion anyways. :confused:

I am going to take a guess on this. If we break down the original model number, I get this.
ULPVRG6SCBLK

UL = UL approved
PV = Jacket Type or Perfect Vision?
RG6 = RG6
SC = Solid Copper
BLK = Black

The R in RG could also mean Riser rated cable. Riser is a class of cable used in commercial buildings. It probably means RG6.

The cable you have, PVCX1B breaks down this way.

PV = jacket type or Perfect Vision?
CX = CX rated cable. CX cable is not rated for commercial use, but is perfectly fine for residential use. The rating has to do with the rate of burn on a vertical run of cable.
1B = ?

The cable they sent you does not have UL in the model. That does not mean it is not UL rated. Look on the cable jacket. Every 18 inches the cable should be marked with a model number and class. The class will be 2.
The coax should be UL rated if you are installing it in a new home as part of a pre-wire. It is only an insurance thing, and has nothing to do with the quality of the coax.

My guess is the cable they sent you is pretty cheap stuff. Perfect Vision is a brand of Perfect 10, a satellite wholesaler. They contract with cable manufacturers to supply cable for them to private label. In General this cable is OK. It does not come close to the quality of the cable you get when you buy a brand name cable such as Beldon, Commscope, or even Coleman. These cables have better consistency in their construction, and are usually made in the US.

There is a ton of cheap, off shore coax flooding the market. I use some the off-shore stuff for general installations, but for prewires, I always use a higher quality US made cable, and usually quad shield. You do not want to pre-wire a home only to discover the coax has a flaw in it. Just because it says sweep-tested, does not mean it HAS been tested. It only means that a sample of that batch was sweep-tested, not every foot of that batch.

The cable is most likely perfectly fine to use. If you are doing a pre-wire, or installing runs that exceed 200' from dish to receiver, you might want to consider a better cable, or even quad shield

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts