Perforated Dish for Ku Operation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I am in the process of upgrading my system for Ku and 4DTV. I currently have a
10' Weingard perforated dish. The hole diameter is 0.146". Will that deliver good quality Ku band pictures?? I will be using the NorSat 4106A Lnb.

I read somewhere the hole size needs to less than 1/10 of a wavelength or about 2 milimeters. With such a large dish for Ku you should get some kind of signal although don't be surprized if it performs like a 30" dish. I'm not familiar with your LNB but if the f/d ratio not does not match the dish it will futher limit your performance.
I would give it a try and see what you get thats half the fun of this hobby.

cspiteri said:
I am in the process of upgrading my system for Ku and 4DTV. I currently have a
10' Weingard perforated dish. The hole diameter is 0.146". Will that deliver good quality Ku band pictures?? I will be using the NorSat 4106A Lnb.

Are you SURE it's a "perf" dish, or is it really a "mesh" one.

If it's perfed, it should do well, as long as the surface is smooth & true, & the dish is not deformed. I used to have a Unimesh perfed dish & it kicked butt on Ku band. (I still have it, it's just laying in the yard at my new house, 'cause I haven't had time to mess with it :eek: :( )

Perf ?? Mesh?? Dish for Ku

I don`t know the difference. I*t is 10' in diameter and is made up of 8 sections.
The hole diameter is approximately 0.146".

cspiteri said:
I don`t know the difference. I*t is 10' in diameter and is made up of 8 sections.
The hole diameter is approximately 0.146".

A perfed dish uses smooth sections of aluminum that has had holes punched in it - if you run your fingers across the surface, they should feel like it accordingly.

A mesh dish would feel like you ran your fingers across fine mesh fencing - the holes would NOT be in a round shape, but rather a jagged shape.

The fact that you say a "hole diameter" sounds like you have a perfed dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.