Petition to remove WFN HD from Dish Network HD Line up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't watch it and probably never will and I like to fish. We are still paying for it though. They have a Poll over at dbsforums about the worthiness of this channel. Out of around 300 votes 90% said it was a total waste and should be removed immediately. With limited capacity I would think that E* would be very careful in adding compelling hd content. Guess not.

HELL NO ! But I'm not a fan of Universal HD ,but you don't hear me complaining about the channel being in the lineup.

This is NOT Directed at you, "Rey_1178"
I mean Com Off it already!. I would bet anyone here , This thread wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for E* dropping the "other" HD channels. This is just another thread , Saying"" E, Why did you drop this ,FOR THIS?"" I'm not even going to say that HD word. This isn't any different then, ""All this NEW HD we got, and it Doesn't even show any HD"". Like it would be any different then the other Network HD channels That we already Had. That was Just another Classic, " E* You Dropped this HD for This HD" Give it a REST Already. Edit your favorites list for crying out loud!

yeah that's true hemi. i don't want to become a complainer either. i guess some people can't help themselves so they have to bitch about something. i personally think we got what many wanted and we have to be happy with that. i saw E make the exact changes that many kept posting here that they wanted and now some of these exact same individuals are making a 180 degree turn.

Wrong. It's taking up bandwidth that could be used for another HD channel.

If it was SD and crammed onto a transponder with 15 other SD channels, I don't think anyone would complain. OK, they would, because people around here complain about everything. But I wouldn't be defending them.

Agreed, I don't want it in HD or otherwise. Not that it really matters, but I was referring to the Verizon FIOS WFN being SD and that I don't care to watch a HD fish.

'Oh, is that a Pomoxis nigromaculatus or is it a Pomoxis annularis? If only I had that fish in HD then I could differentiate them based on their dorsal fins...'

Enough with the frickin petitions. If you don't like it, then drop E* when you're contract is up (or before). They certainly don't care about petitions from a relative few disgruntled subscribers. Especially while they're in the middle of several multi-million dollar lawsuits.

seriously ;) it is like day and night when one makes an analogy between the two as WFN is far from being in the same league...;)

WFN and VOOM are in the same league as far as I'm concerned. They are channels that I wouldn't watch.

HELL NO ! But I'm not a fan of Universal HD ,but you don't hear me complaining about the channel being in the lineup.

This is NOT Directed at you, "Rey_1178"
I mean Com Off it already!. I would bet anyone here , This thread wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for E* dropping the "other" HD channels. This is just another thread , Saying"" E, Why did you drop this ,FOR THIS?"" I'm not even going to say that HD word. This isn't any different then, ""All this NEW HD we got, and it Doesn't even show any HD"". Like it would be any different then the other Network HD channels That we already Had. That was Just another Classic, " E* You Dropped this HD for This HD" Give it a REST Already. Edit your favorites list for crying out loud!

I'm right there with ya..... It's really getting old to hear the crying, as if anything said here is going to make a change. Sometimes things change and sometimes people don't like the change. But in certain cases you have to accept it when you are in the minority, and I think most who watched and "loved" those channels were in the minority when you look at the E* subs as a whole. (We're talking a very small percentage)

The forums are really starting to take on a new persona.. and it is (at least to me) no longer as entertaining to read as it was before. It seems very negative. I think it is primarily due to, countless threads basically whining about the same thing, which usually have the same VOOM supporters creating the threads or posting in them and who basically are mad at Dish and want to "get back at them" any way they can.

Some of these same posters go as far as to attack DISH on any issue possible now, no matter what it is about. It all leads back to the removal of those channels. To me, that shows alot of biased opinions, which makes it much harder to understand ANY of their arguments. And as you lead to, prior to the removal of those channels, I doubt we would have heard nearly as many complaints about which HD channels were added, or how much HD content they have. (BTW - I never understood the argument about.. E* added 22, removed 15 = net 7 HD channels.. - E* never claimed that they had a total number of channels once they added the 22. It was a separate action. If you are going to subtract 15 from a number, you should have used the total number of HD channels. I too, just like every other E* sub have certain channels I like, and certain channels I do not like. But that doesn't mean I am going to complain about those channels even though I pay for them. There are probably about 35-40 channels I have in my favorites list, the others, I could probably do without, though I may watch them here and there. But I understand that E* has to make decisions as a company, and what they think is best for their business to offer to their customers. I can't make their decisions for them, nor would I want to. I am not happy they removed those channels, I would prefer to have "more HD" no matter what channels they are. But I do not find any reason to bash E* any chance I can.

Honestly, if someone is so upset that they it consumes all of their time so much that they want to complain on and on or feel the need for starting petitions or threaten to cancel etc. etc.... Just switch providers. Obviously a small percentage of people are upset that the channels are gone, However, I think most of those in the small percentage are able to accept that and move on. At this point, the continuing complaints by the few dozens of posters are not going to have any effect on the issue between E* and Voom who are in a huge court battle. The matter will ultimately be decided there. I think everyone can see that VOOM will more than likely not be coming back.

For those who say they will be leaving E*, it's too bad... but I think you should do what you feel is right. For those who say they would, but they are in a contract.. I say, if you can spend enough of your time bashing or signing petitions, then you have enough time to figure out a way to get out of that contract. Perhaps you are even willing to pay whatever it may cost to get out of that contract or you may wish to pause your account until you find out what E* has planned, or just go to bare bones programming until the expiration of the contract, and supplement with another service. If someone is that upset, I'm sure there are options are out there.

It obvious that some posters are more upset than others, but I think at a certain point, it is time to move on.

I do respect and understand the opinions of the VOOM supporters, and I think everyone should post how they feel, some however, are a bit excessive and are really just preaching to the choir.

I'm pretty tired of trying to validate the removal of VOOM, which I don't really want to do, but when I listen to some of the arguments/whining/bashing of E*, it's hard not to post something.

We are lucky to live in a place that we can make a choice on our own. If we do not like a particular company, then in most cases we have a choice to use a different company. That's what competition is all about. If E* has rubbed you the wrong way, there is always D* or Cable. If you choose to stay with E* because you like their DVR's, then that must obviously outweigh the fact that they removed some channels that you enjoyed watching, so move on and stop complaning.

At this point, I do not plan to post anymore on the issue, until something happens that makes it an issue anymore. I'll let the court take on the matter.

where is the bias in WFN HD? :) The facts are facts this is a worthless channel and it should be removed.

This is the only fact that matters in this thread. There is no other. My initial post did not bring VOOM into the conversation of this thread but somehow those trying to make us change our minds about WFN HD find no other way to justify their claim that this channel has something to offer to us right now. Stick to the point of the thread and make me believe that this channel has something to cheer about other than wasting the bandwith of a better channel that is available right now. That should be the counter argument to my initial post. Not going on a tangent.

Stick to the point of the thread and make me believe that this channel has something to cheer about other than wasting the bandwith of a better channel that is available right now.

I commented right along with what was posted previously in the thread.

Isn't it odd that the people who are bashing this channel are the same that are upset when people show the lack of support to VOOM? The same people who state if you don't like VOOM, then don't watch it... and then they follow up by saying that they don't belittle channels like A&E or TBS.. or fill in the blank Channel, even though they don't like them. I just find it odd.. that's all !

Again, it's just another channel in their line-up... I don't like the Home Shopping Channel either. I wouldn't start a petition to get it off though. I just ignore it. What's the harm in it? Everyone has different interest. :)

where is the bias in WFN HD? :) The facts are facts this is a worthless channel and it should be removed.
I agree! While it is certainly fruitless discussing channel contents (I would a la carte 'em all...or at lease flush Speed, Sci-Fi, BET, and 100+ other channels down the toilet), the issue you raised with WFN is based solely on technical merit, "We don't need a HD channel that shows zero HD." Similarly, Dish Network customers do not need to pay for HD channels when they are only receiving HD-Lite...a far more serious issue IMO. As far as VOOM, I don't see where this thread of 99% of the posts even mention VOOM.

WFN is my fav channel when it becomes hd this fall, other than that, you have to wait till their long term contract runs out to get rid of it, since not enough people complained about VOOM, what makes ya think they will care when 500 people complain about WFN?

Isn't it odd that the people who are bashing this channel are the same that are upset when people show the lack of support to VOOM? The same people who state if you don't like VOOM, then don't watch it... and then they follow up by saying that they don't belittle channels like A&E or TBS.. or fill in the blank Channel, even though they don't like them. I just find it odd.. that's all !
I think you're missing the point. Personally, I would be interested in some of the material on WFN, but probably not if they weren't in HD...and certainly not if they were stretch-o-vision. Although I would not watch Sci-Fi HD, Speed-HD or whatever-HD, I certainly wouldn't complain about their wasting bandwidth since others many enjoy the HD programming offered on these channels.

Just to reiterate Sean's point, if you're going to broadcast almost zero HD content, and make it worse by formating the widescreen with streth-o-vision, then by all means pull the plug on these turds since it's not really a HD channel. If VOOM ever did this, I would be one of the first to demand yanking 'em off the air.;)

Maybe Charlie likes fishing? :D

Seriously, when E* removed the VOOM channels they issue a statement saying " we have removed some channels that are less popular with our customers". the samething should apply to WFN. It has to go.

just a few facts here on fishing.

Interesting Numbers - The report presents some interesting ways to look at the economic numbers:
  • Fishing is more popular than golf and tennis combined in the United States
We have a tennis channel and a golf, fishing is more popular, so why not.

When looking at what fishin does to the economy in the US.

forty million fishermen spend over $45 billion on fishing related expenses each year. Using known multiplier effects, this translates into a $125 billion overall impact for the United States economy. A breakdown of these purchases includes support for a million jobs, $45 billion paid in wages, and $16 paid in tax revenues a year.

If the fishing industry was a national corporation, it would rank number 47 on the Fortune 500 list of companies

Source: ASA, Smithwick Associates

I have never seen WFN, but I am all for pulling the plug on all the stretch-o-vision violators.

Who said it was Stretch-O-Vision?

It may suck, but at least the aspect ratio is right.

Their new slogan- "WFN...Fake HD done right: All 4:3 all the time!"

just a few facts here on fishing.

Interesting Numbers - The report presents some interesting ways to look at the economic numbers:
  • Fishing is more popular than golf and tennis combined in the United States
We have a tennis channel and a golf, fishing is more popular, so why not.

When looking at what fishin does to the economy in the US.

forty million fishermen spend over $45 billion on fishing related expenses each year. Using known multiplier effects, this translates into a $125 billion overall impact for the United States economy. A breakdown of these purchases includes support for a million jobs, $45 billion paid in wages, and $16 paid in tax revenues a year.

If the fishing industry was a national corporation, it would rank number 47 on the Fortune 500 list of companies

Source: ASA, Smithwick Associates

Great! Put it on an SD stream and 98% of us will stop bitching!

(Or put some HD on it and about half of us will stop bitching.)

'Oh, is that a Pomoxis nigromaculatus or is it a Pomoxis annularis? If only I had that fish in HD then I could differentiate them based on their dorsal fins...'

Actually, I spent yesterday afternoon playing Endless Ocean...a game where you basically just identify fish. The Wii is only 480p though. :D

Great! Put it on an SD stream and 98% of us will stop bitching!

(Or put some HD on it and about half of us will stop bitching.)

i do agree they should have called it a sd channel when lanched, since there is no hd on it until fall, then made it WFNHD

Status
Please reply by conversation.