Petrino resigns from Falcons

Yup,
I heard that earlier today.....
This is a smart move for Patrino, he gets out of Atlanta, good idea seeing it's nothing like what was expected when he signed.
How do you think Louisville is feeling about now ?
They lost thier best coach and he went to the Pro's for a year and then back to another college team ????
Kinda like Saban, just not as bad....

Is Les still in the running for M ?
Who would move to LSU then ?
Would Spurrior be interested in LSU ?

Jimbo

It is a good move for him. The team, as you already said, was nothing like what he expected when he came in. The Falcons, in my opinion, have more spoiled brats than any other NFL team. It would be one thing if they had the record to back it up, but face it, the team had no respect for Petrino and, in all fairness, Petrino didn't have anything to work with. In the quarterback department, his best option was Leftwich and we all know he is injury prone. Plus, the city (for whatever reason) is split over Michael Vick. They need to face the facts, Michael Vick is gone and SHOULD BE gone.

They need to look at some of the youngsters coming out of Ohio State, LSU, etc. Then, they need to find somebody that has the patience to go through a rebuilding stage.

Cade

Yup,
I heard that earlier today.....
This is a smart move for Patrino, he gets out of Atlanta, good idea seeing it's nothing like what was expected when he signed.
How do you think Louisville is feeling about now ?
They lost thier best coach and he went to the Pro's for a year and then back to another college team ????
Kinda like Saban, just not as bad....

Is Les still in the running for M ?
Who would move to LSU then ?
Would Spurrior be interested in LSU ?

Jimbo

Jimbo,

Les resigned with LSU. Therefore, you can take him out of the equation for Michigan and you can take anybody else out of the equation for LSU. I'm just curious who Michigan might try to lure now. Any guess?

Cade

Jimbo,

Les resigned with LSU. Therefore, you can take him out of the equation for Michigan and you can take anybody else out of the equation for LSU. I'm just curious who Michigan might try to lure now. Any guess?

Cade

Hardly,
In the Detroit Free Press was an article, today I think, talking about how Miles called the U of M AD ....
It's not over yet, I expect them to talk more after the NC game.
Miles has a "BUY OUT" in the contract he JUST signed to go to M.

Personally, I hope he does stay. I kinda like him, that will make M keep looking ....

Jimbo

Petrino has a history of bolting jobs. If he has a good year in Arkansas, he'll be onto a new "better" job in no time at all. If I was an Arkansas fan, I wouldn't want him.

As far as Arkansas being a good move, you people are crazy! Arkansas has an unrealistic and unappreciative fanbase. Houston Nutt had some good sucess there and while the school wanted to re-sign him, many fans wanted him gone, hence why he left for Ole Mis. Good move for Nutt.

And sure, the Falcon's are a complete mess this year, but the players never respected Petrino one bit, and now I see why, the guy has a complete lack of commitment and loyalty, he proved it at Louisville and now Atlanta, Arkansas is just the next team on his hitlist on his way to the top, wherever that may be. At least the Atlana players respected Jim Mora and Jim Mora worked his butt off, even if he failed miserably, he didn't quit.

Here's my opinion on this fiasco...
  • Bad move for Arkansas (Petrino will bolt at first opportunity he gets)
  • Lateral move for Petrino (He loses even more credibility, to go to a sub par SEC team)
  • Good for Atlanta ( they can now focus on getting somebody in there that actually wants to win and stick around for more than 13 games and a coach that wants to earn the respect of the players)

Petrino has a history of bolting jobs. If he has a good year in Arkansas, he'll be onto a new "better" job in no time at all. If I was an Arkansas fan, I wouldn't want him.

As far as Arkansas being a good move, you people are crazy! Arkansas has an unrealistic and unappreciative fanbase. Houston Nutt had some good sucess there and while the school wanted to re-sign him, many fans wanted him gone, hence why he left for Ole Mis. Good move for Nutt.

And sure, the Falcon's are a complete mess this year, but the players never respected Petrino one bit, and now I see why, the guy has a complete lack of commitment and loyalty, he proved it at Louisville and now Atlanta, Arkansas is just the next team on his hitlist on his way to the top, wherever that may be. At least the Atlana players respected Jim Mora and Jim Mora worked his butt off, even if he failed miserably, he didn't quit.

• Lateral move for Petrino (He loses even more credibility, to go to a sub par SEC team)
  • Good for Atlanta ( they can now focus on getting somebody in there that actually wants to win and stick around for more than 13 games and a coach that wants to earn the respect of the players)

At least we get to keep Wil Muschamp.:)

Who was Patrino with before Louisville ?
I agree with your assessment, he will use it as a stepping stone, if given the opportunity.

Jimbo

He was the oc for Auburn.

Yup, Petrino left Auburn's Offensive Coordinator job to coach Louisville, and then 2 years later we had the fiasco where Auburn's President and Athletic Director went behind everybody's back and tried to hire Petrino and fire Turberville the day before the Ironbowl. That fell through and heads rolled at Auburn, because Turberville was very popular with the fans. Of course Turberville took Auburn 13-0 the next season. War Eagle!!

Two years after that, Petrino signed a 10 year contract with Louisville, two weeks later, Petrino quit Louisville for Atlanta and signed a 5 year contract. 13 games later he bolts Atlanta for Arkansas. I am starting to think Petrino has some sort of personality disorder.

All I know is this... I am sooooo glad Petrino didn't end up replacing Turberville at Auburn after the 2003 season!

I'll add another: Good for LSU and Auburn. :)

GOOD POINTS!:up

I like the way he left a note in everyones locker saying, oh by the way Im leaving.

Didnt have the stones to stand up in front of the players and tell them face to face.

I don't blame this guy for leaving, people change jobs everyday, but couldn't he have waited 3 more games? The Arkansas job wasn't going anywhere. I feel bad for Arthur Blank, who is held in high esteem. First Vick, and now his coach. I hope he gives more thought to hiring Emmet Thomas serious consideration for the head coach job (permanently); a quality guy, who should have had a head coach job a long time ago.

I don't understand everyones hatred for Petrino. It doesnt matter if Tom Landry and Chuck Knoll are coaching the Falcons. They are NOT going to win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)