Petrino resigns from Falcons

I don't understand everyones hatred for Petrino. It doesnt matter if Tom Landry and Chuck Knoll are coaching the Falcons. They are NOT going to win.

That statement just does'nt make any sense at all.

A head coach is extremely important to a team's success. Dan Reeves did a great job in Atlanta, in fact the biggest mistake Arthur Blank EVER made was firing him. Reeves took the Falcons to the Superbowl, then, the year after he was fired, the team he built went to the NFC championship game (Coached my Jim Mora). Ever since, the Falcons have been terrible.

That statement just does'nt make any sense at all.

A head coach is extremely important to a team's success. Dan Reeves did a great job in Atlanta, in fact the biggest mistake Arthur Blank EVER made was firing him. Reeves took the Falcons to the Superbowl, then, the year after he was fired, the team he built went to the NFC championship game (Coached my Jim Mora). Ever since, the Falcons have been terrible.
Bologna. They have NO talent. Old Wawick Dunn?, old lawyer Miloy? NO quarterback and were built around M. Vick. ANd No fans in the stands! Their only decent player is Crumpler. They are not going to have a winning season for another 3 years and even the fans have given up.

Bologna. They have NO talent. Old Wawick Dunn?, old lawyer Miloy? NO quarterback and were built around M. Vick. ANd No fans in the stands! Their only decent player is Crumpler. They are not going to have a winning season for another 3 years and even the fans have given up.

Of course Atlanta needs to rebuild, nobody will argue with that. I though you were implying that there is no way Atlanta could ever win no matter who their coach is or no matter how many years from now.

I was meaning to say a coach is important not just in the short run, but the long run, whereas you were just talking about the present, I was thinking about the future. Just a misunderstanding, that's all.

I'm putting the over/under on Petrino's career at Arkansas at 3 yrs.

I'll be shocked if he finishes 2 full seasons at Arkansas much less 3. Actualy he may not finish his first season. Arkansas doesn't have much returning talent, especially if Mcfadden goes to the NFL. Arkansas will need a couple seasons to build a contending team, much like Atlanta.

Petrino has proven he doesn't have the patience to build a program.
I am starting to think he is a fraud and he might not have the skill to build a program, why else would he change jobs so much? If you need proof, just look at the miserable team he left behind at Louisville, he knew they were done contending and he got out of there.

shugo77 wrote

As far as Arkansas being a good move, you people are crazy! Arkansas has an unrealistic and unappreciative fanbase. Houston Nutt had some good sucess there and while the school wanted to re-sign him, many fans wanted him gone, hence why he left for Ole Mis. Good move for Nutt.

i think the fans were tired of so many 4 th an 1 calls.... going for it with your top guns on the bench. Nutt Split the fan base, at least its something i think Petrino will re-unite within the the first season. I also feel he (Petrino) will have a first year above what everyone thinks he will finish. Ole Miss will realise what they got Nutt's a good coach ( above average ) they will just get tired of poor decisions and a few important games that he has won until the 4th quarter and gets beat. but i do think he will resurrect Ole Miss to several above average seasons ( from this years record it can only go up). I expect Coach Petrino has found a place to stay for a few years :)

Of course Atlanta needs to rebuild, nobody will argue with that. I though you were implying that there is no way Atlanta could ever win no matter who their coach is or no matter how many years from now.

I was meaning to say a coach is important not just in the short run, but the long run, whereas you were just talking about the present, I was thinking about the future. Just a misunderstanding, that's all.

In a league where any 3 - 13 team can reach the Super Bowl in 2 seasons (except the Lions, who haven't been able to do it 50 yrs.), I wouldn't be too worried about it. The Falcons will be in a Super Bowl before Detroit is.

Eventually they will win. But Petrino didnt signup to totally rebuild a team. He walked into a team built around with a superstar QB that was supposed to compete for a playoff spot. But poof, Overnight he has nothing. Sorry but if my job changed that drastically I might quit too.

People change jobs all the time. I can see your point, I just thought he could finish the season and moved on to Arkansas. On the other hand, Blank fired Reeves with 3 games left in the season. Was that any different?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)