Peyton Manning

I think we're really overstating the risk though, and how often are QBs drilled with a 'big helmet to helmet hit' in this day and age, especially as a QB who camps out in the pocket like Manning who has averaged ~55 yards rushing per season (this average has dropped to 20 yards/season since 2003)? He's also pretty durable, as the hits he has taken haven't cause him to miss a single game in 13 years prior to this season. Every player is a bad concussion away from ending their career on any given play, the current rules and the era that he is now playing in help minimize the risk.
it doesn't happen very often but it still happens. and yes he's been extremely durable which is why he had a real chance at Favre's consecutive starts record. your points are valid but no matter how small the risk is its still there. in his case this isn't a first issue with his neck. again your points are valid. i just feel he should consider all of his options and not dismiss this as not being a big deal. maybe i'm being over cautious.

I still would love to see Andrew Luck hold the clipboard for Peyton for at least a season or two. A chance to have both Peyton Manning AND Andrew Luck on the same team only comes once in a lifetime. Of course it's all up to Peyton's health. I guess I'm in the minority on this,but it would be a lot easier for Luck to be under apprenticeship to Peyton than to just "throw him to the wolves" by getting rid of Peyton outright & then have him(Luck) start under a rebuilding scenario("Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs,are you kidding me? Playoffs?").

If Peyton is "healthy" enough to play for the Jets,Broncos,or any other team in the NFL,he's healthy enough to still play for the Colts.

I don't think that's really in question, the question is what decision will be made prior to handing him $28m, and once they do that would they even consider trading him.

In addition, there's the economics of keeping him and drafting luck that are an issue too, how successful can they be as a team that is rebuilding if they have a large portion of their cap tied up at QB.

Make no mistake, with the new coaches, losing people like Wayne and Saturday, this is a team that's rebuilding, not one already built and ready to compete for the division the next few years.

I don't think that's really in question, the question is what decision will be made prior to handing him $28m, and once they do that would they even consider trading him.

In addition, there's the economics of keeping him and drafting luck that are an issue too, how successful can they be as a team that is rebuilding if they have a large portion of their cap tied up at QB.

Make no mistake, with the new coaches, losing people like Wayne and Saturday, this is a team that's rebuilding, not one already built and ready to compete for the division the next few years.

I think first off they want to see if Peyton is healthy enough to play. If he is,they might gamble on one season of Peyton & Andrew together & take it from there. I understand the bonus deal,but there is also a rookie cap on player salary that will affect Andrew Luck,so the money tie up might not be as extreme as feared. They could also "renegotiate" with (a hopefully healthy) Peyton to defer some or enough of his contract to work with the salary cap. Who knows,we won't know anything concrete until March 8.

and those are the reasons why peyton will be gone from the colts. it used to be that a few thought there was a good chance they would keep manning but now that's no longer the case.

cybok0 said:
Even Joe Montana left his team for another, IMO with all the firings they are in a rebuilding mode. I think Peyton will be gone maybe he will go to the jets or the broncos.

Oh God, please not the Broncos. I have disliked Manning for years. Why would you wish that on me?? :)

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I still would love to see Andrew Luck hold the clipboard for Peyton for at least a season or two. A chance to have both Peyton Manning AND Andrew Luck on the same team only comes once in a lifetime. Of course it's all up to Peyton's health. I guess I'm in the minority on this,but it would be a lot easier for Luck to be under apprenticeship to Peyton than to just "throw him to the wolves" by getting rid of Peyton outright & then have him(Luck) start under a rebuilding scenario("Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs,are you kidding me? Playoffs?").

Ain't 'gunna happen.

rockymtnhigh said:
I am not the only person outside of Indy who is not a Peyton Manning fan. I respect him for what he is, but do not like him. Same is true of Tom Brady.

I agree with you, I don't like Manning or Brady. IMO it's because they are so good.

I agree. I think Andrew Luck is a potential NFL star...but what a freaking ego! Manning is one of the greatest QBs EVER and you could NO WORSE than to learn how to be an NFL QB...something Andrew Luck knows NOTHING about....but also how to handle the everyday pressures of being an NFL QB...something that he ALSO knows nothing about. IF Aaron Rogers, probably the best QB in the NFL right now...can do it for almost 3 years, certainly Andrew Luck can do the same.

From Jim Rome:

Hiring a defensive coordinator in Indy makes me think the Colts are done "evaluating" Peyton. An even worse place to heal now.

I agree. I think Andrew Luck is a potential NFL star...but what a freaking ego! Manning is one of the greatest QBs EVER and you could NO WORSE than to learn how to be an NFL QB...something Andrew Luck knows NOTHING about....but also how to handle the everyday pressures of being an NFL QB...something that he ALSO knows nothing about. IF Aaron Rogers, probably the best QB in the NFL right now...can do it for almost 3 years, certainly Andrew Luck can do the same.

Simple economics is why that won't happen:

The Indianapolis Colts could be looking at a price tag of over $50 million in 2012 for Peyton Manning and Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, if they drafted him, according to ESPN NFL analyst Andrew Brandt.
Manning is owed a $28 million option bonus if he reports to the team in March, and he will be owed $7.4 million for the 2012 season. Drafting Andrew Luck with the first overall pick would cost the Colts around $15 million for his bonus and salary.
In total the Colts are looking at around $50.5 million in 2012 for a quarterback that didn't take a single snap in 2011 and a quarterback that has never played in the NFL.
Manning, Luck could cost Colts $50 million in 2012 | The Score

cosmo_kramer said:

My post has nothing to do with that it will happen... It is clear to see that the combo of the #1 overall pick and the money they would have to give Manning will exceed over $50 million.

Its suck that Indy puts itself in that financial pinch(or maybe Manning did) that we cannot see a great QB go out his way with the only team he has ever known and "pass the baton" if you will, to the "next great QB"....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)