Peyton Manning

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My post has nothing to do with that it will happen... It is clear to see that the combo of the #1 overall pick and the money they would have to give Manning will exceed over $50 million.

Its suck that Indy puts itself in that financial pinch(or maybe Manning did) that we cannot see a great QB go out his way with the only team he has ever known and "pass the baton" if you will, to the "next great QB"....

it is a shame. i don't like this at all either and would like to see him finish his career there. but we've seen other greats end up at another team. i never got used to the idea of montana and the chiefs. that's why i'm glad marino didn't get stubborn about wanting to play somewhere else and just retired with the fins.

Where things get interesting is if the Colts do not exercise the option....

Good read here:

Were the Colts to not exercise the $28 million option by March 8th, there is a non-exercise fee of that same $28 million due two days before the 2012 League Year, March 11th.

Translation: the Colts cannot simply let the option date pass without action; to do so would put them on the hook for the same amount and not have Manning. They will have to take the affirmative step of, yes, releasing Peyton Manning.

Free agent like no other

Peyton Predicament: Part 2 | National Football Post

Dallas needs a QB :)

I LIKE Romo.

Again... people(GMs and fans) think the "elite QBs"(described by the useless owner in Miami, Ross, as a "QB that will take you to the playoffs every year"...yeah, thank you Captain Obvious....:rolleyes:) grow on trees and at least 5 to 6 of them come out of the draft and FA every year. Really? Seriously?! IF that were the case EVERY team would be making the playoffs every year without a problem.:rant:

How many we have RIGHT now in the NFL? 5 or 6...and it has been the usual suspects just about every year for the last 10 years(Brady, Rothlesberger, Brees, Eli/Peyton, etc).

This ain't a dig at you DetFan....but fans and GMs have become unrealistic at times....;)

I understand the ego of these guys, and passion about wanting to eek out every last year playing the sport they love, but if I was ONE hit away from paralysis, I think it would be an easy decision. He has a ring, he has nothing to prove to anyone. The guy should retire a Colt, and let his team rebuild for the future.

In the end it's Irsay's money. If Peyton was healthy & the Colts kept him & Luck together for next season,& the Colts played just as badly next season as they did this previous season,would Manning's trade value drop as a result(especially if they decided to just go with Luck as a starter the rest of that season)?

Of course the next vexing "hair pulling" scenario for the Colts with both Manning & Luck on the roster would be if the Colts played close games against their opponents,but could never get the victory(like the Dolphins have been doing the past few seasons),& just to make it worse,end up 8-8 for the season like the Broncos did. People will scream that the Colts have too much money tied up in 2 QB's to get the Free agents they need to rebuild & at 8-8,it'll be very hard to get that franchise player in the draft without trading Manning to move up in the draft. I can just hear the nay sayers now.

Of course the next vexing "hair pulling" scenario for the Colts with both Manning & Luck on the roster would be if the Colts played close games against their opponents,but could never get the victory(like the Dolphins have been doing the past few seasons),& just to make it worse,end up 8-8 for the season like the Broncos did. People will scream that the Colts have too much money tied up in 2 QB's to get the Free agents they need to rebuild & at 8-8,it'll be very hard to get that franchise player in the draft without trading Manning to move up in the draft. I can just hear the nay sayers now.
It's not going to happen so why do you keep posting streams of consciousness like this??

It's not going to happen so why do you keep posting streams of consciousness like this??

Because the success of the transition from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers proved that it can be done. The same can be said for the transition from Joe Montana to Steve Young. Give it a chance,the universe won't collapse just because Manning & Luck are on the same team for at least 1 season. This is equal to the argument of whether the earth is flat or round. If you chuck Manning,who are you bringing in to transition Luck to the pros? Cam Newton & Andy Dawson are anomalies who benefited from the lockout & NOBODY being ready for the football season to start. That certainly won't happen again next season with Luck if he is immediately "thrown to the wolves" without apprenticing first under one of the greatest QB's ever.

Aaron Rodgers' rookie contract was a 5 year $7.7m deal... and the whole Favre situation is the furthest from what a team wants to go through to transition from a legend to a rookie. Hardly the template any team wants to follow.

Here's another nicely worded breakdown of the impact Manning has on the salary cap:

Peyton Manning's Contract: Possible Impacts on the Colts | January

Peyton Manning's contract included $51million in bonuses, a 20million dollar signing bonus (which for cap purposes is spread evenly over the 5 years of the contract), a 3million dollar roster bonus in 2011 (which goes against the 2011 cap) and a 28million dollar option bonus (the cap hit of which is spread over the 4 years remaining on the deal).

Right now the Colts have paid Peyton 23 million in bonuses, and only had 7million count against the cap leaving 16mil outstanding. The Colts have to take this money against the cap, and if he's released or traded they have to take it over the following 2 years. 16mil is a lot of dead cap, but what happens if Peyton is still on the Colts roster when his option bonus is due, March 8th?

With 28million more paid to Peyton in March that would bring the outstanding bonus money to 44 million, making releasing or trading Peyton between March 8th and the 2012 season totally impossible. During the 2012 season 1/5th (4mil) of the signing bonus and 1/4th of the option bonus (7mil) will be counted against the Colts 2012 cap, reducing the outstanding bonus money to 33million. Still a monsterous cap hit to take, enough to cripple a team trying to transition to an Andrew Luck era. In 2013 another 11mil of that bonus money is paid on the cap getting the Colts within shouting distance of where they are now at 22mil. Cutting or trading Peyton after 2014 would leave 11mil of dead cap, by which point Andrew Luck will have sat on the bench for 3 years.

To recap:

Cut or Trade Peyton before March 8th: 16mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after March 8th: 44mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2012: 33mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2013: 22mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2014: 11mil of dead cap

After 2015: Peyton's contract expires

Because the success of the transition from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers proved that it can be done. The same can be said for the transition from Joe Montana to Steve Young. Give it a chance,the universe won't collapse just because Manning & Luck are on the same team for at least 1 season. This is equal to the argument of whether the earth is flat or round. If you chuck Manning,who are you bringing in to transition Luck to the pros? Cam Newton & Andy Dawson are anomalies who benefited from the lockout & NOBODY being ready for the football season to start. That certainly won't happen again next season with Luck if he is immediately "thrown to the wolves" without apprenticing first under one of the greatest QB's ever.
How much did Rodgers and Young play while they were QBs in waiting?? How can you be certain that they benefited from holding a clipboard for a few years, instead of getting valuable playing time to sharpen their skills?? Maybe they would have had even better careers if they had played right away...

I say Newton and Dalton are prime examples of that. Surround them with some decent players and run an offense that plays to their strengths. I think that a first overall pick should be a starting player for his team, no matter what position he plays.

You also have to think about it realistically, from a business perspective. The idea of having both Luck & Manning there is fantasy football owner thinking, not concerned with building the rest of your team. To rebuild properly, you need the cap space to do it and spending more than $50M on your QB position (that only one can play ;)) is not smart...

We also have the rookie wage scale to contend with. Players are going to leave college in an effort to get to their 2nd contract quicker, because despite that first one being worth potentially millions, that second one is the monster payday that they can earn.

It's harder to earn that if you ride the bench for 3-4 years and do little to create leverage for your 2nd contract.

There's also a lot more pressure to start unproven that have had a lot of hope foisted (I had to look it up) onto their shoulders.

I'm sure that right now people closest to Peyton Manning are quietly whispering into his ear & compelling him to retire("look how it worked out for Brett Favre not retiring"). One example that comes closest to me if the Colts unceremoniously dump Peyton(even though it can be considered apples & oranges) is how Jerry Jones unceremoniously dumped Tom Landry almost immediately after he bought the Cowboys. I know Tom Landry was a Head Coach & Peyton is a QB,but dumping Landry like he did is what originally turned me off to Jerry Jones,no matter how many Super Bowls the Cowboys won afterwards. If (Peyton Manning forces) the Colts (to) unceremoniously dump Peyton Manning(/him),how will the fans initially react?

I'm sure that right now people closest to Peyton Manning are quietly whispering into his ear & compelling him to retire("look how it worked out for Brett Favre not retiring"). One example that comes closest to me if the Colts unceremoniously dump Peyton(even though it can be considered apples & oranges) is how Jerry Jones unceremoniously dumped Tom Landry almost immediately after he bought the Cowboys. I know Tom Landry was a Head Coach & Peyton is a QB,but dumping Landry like he did is what originally turned me off to Jerry Jones,no matter how many Super Bowls the Cowboys won afterwards. If (Peyton Manning forces) the Colts (to) unceremoniously dump Peyton Manning(/him),how will the fans initially react?

Depends entirely on how dirty it gets. Irsay today called Manning a politician and suggested any discontent should be kept in-house. Sounds like he's already in damage control mode for the potential move. Press seem to think it's likely they'll release him.

If (Peyton Manning forces) the Colts (to) unceremoniously dump Peyton Manning(/him),how will the fans initially react?

It seems that you really don't understand the options here. Manning can't force the Colts to dump him.

He's stated his desire to play there. If the Colts want him they will pay Manning the $28M on March 8 that will activate the remainder of his contract. If they decide to move on, Manning becomes a free agent.

There really can't be a sign & trade transaction because then a good chunk of Manning's contract count towards the Colts' cap. Also, Manning wouldn't want to weaken his new team by them having to trade existing players and/or picks to get him.

I wonder if Peyton might decide to NOT play this year and do something else, Broadcast booth/ESPN / sell more product for a year, while continuing to completely heal and come back next year ...
At that time he would be going somewhere else, he would be a FA if the Colts don't retain his services, which seems likely with Luck in thier future ... (or maybe Griffin III)

Totally different scenario. Young had already been a starter when he was with the Bucs.

It seems that you really don't understand the options here. Manning can't force the Colts to dump him.

He's stated his desire to play there. If the Colts want him they will pay Manning the $28M on March 8 that will activate the remainder of his contract. If they decide to move on, Manning becomes a free agent.

There really can't be a sign & trade transaction because then a good chunk of Manning's contract count towards the Colts' cap. Also, Manning wouldn't want to weaken his new team by them having to trade existing players and/or picks to get him.

You could of just stopped there.

I think the Win/Win situation in all of this would and could have been simple. A first name change, hello = "Coach" Manning.

He already runs the offensive, and no one is better at it then him, He can read a defense like no one else. It would have been the perfect situation for him and the Colts.

and not to mention Luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)