Peyton Manning

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
I decided the news surrounding Peyton needs it's own dedicated thread.

The Colts must make up their mind by March 8th as what to do with Peyton Manning as he's due an option bonus. They also sit with the #1 pick in this year's draft and a very highly touted QB by the name of Andrew Luck will be available.

On one side, a player of Peyton's caliber NEVER becomes a free agent. It just doesn't happen. But this may very well be the case if the Colts decide that his past neck surgeries are too risky to move forward with him. But Peyton's been a lifelong Colt. He's the face of the franchise and city of Indianapolis itself. If you've ever been to a game at Lucas Oil, 95% of the fans wear Manning's #18 jersey. They couldn't possibly be thinking of moving on from Peyton, can they?

One thing's for certain though: There's been a lot of changes this past year for a once steady organization. And Peyton doesn't like it. He recently spoke to the local paper about some of his thoughts:

"I'm not in a very good place for healing, let's say that. It's not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody's walking around on eggshells. I don't recognize our building right now. There's such complete and total change.''

Oh, and in regards to Rob Lowe's scoop, Peyton is NOT retiring.

*With that said, please discuss everything that is, Peyton Manning....

Peyton Manning: Irsay, not Grigson, will decide his future with Colts | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Even Joe Montana left his team for another, IMO with all the firings they are in a rebuilding mode. I think Peyton will be gone maybe he will go to the jets or the broncos.

Yes, life does move forward. Peyton should really consider walking away from the game. It seems he is one good hit away from paralysis.

I remember seeing Joe and his Kansas City Chiefs take the 49ers down one Sunday afternoon. It seemed so odd. Of course, SF went on to win the SB against SD that year.

I don't expect him back. Who knows what the team will look like when free agency hits, but it's rebuilding time in Indy. They aren't going anywhere for a while as the Texans get deeper and work on securing the division for the next few seasons while other teams reload.

Money aside if Manning feels he's healthy enough to put in a couple/few more seasons to try and win a second ring, Indy isn't the place to be.

After following Irsay on Twitter for a while, I also wouldn't be surprised if he paid Manning the $28m then traded him to New England for a 4th round pick and some claim chowder either. That guy is a little crazy.

meStevo said:
After following Irsay on Twitter for a while, I also wouldn't be surprised if he paid Manning the $28m then traded him to New England for a 4th round pick and some claim chowder either. That guy is a little crazy.

I think he wants to be like Jerry Jones, the center of attention for his team.

at least irsay sets some of his ego aside and has a GM. something jerry needs to seriously consider.

I think someone will talk him out of coming back. The very last thing ANYONE wants to see is that one hit that might leave him paralyzed on a field on LIVE TV. I have read how competitive professional athletes are and I am not gonna sit here and assume how true that is....but that guy has made his money and time to live it easy before taking a coaching or TV analyst job.

...I sure as HELL do not wanna see him getting the sh** knocked out of him on TV and having his career end right there on the spot. A guy THAT classy and that professional does NOT deserve to end his career that way.

He has 28 million reasons to try and come back, or to force the Colts to make that decision for him... I see this as the Colts turn to make a move, not Manning. The most surprising thing out of all of this would be for him to retire before the bonus is due. That won't happen.

I think someone will talk him out of coming back. The very last thing ANYONE wants to see is that one hit that might leave him paralyzed on a field on LIVE TV. I have read how competitive professional athletes are and I am not gonna sit here and assume how true that is....but that guy has made his money and time to live it easy before taking a coaching or TV analyst job.

...I sure as HELL do not wanna see him getting the sh** knocked out of him on TV and having his career end right there on the spot. A guy THAT classy and that professional does NOT deserve to end his career that way.
I agree. i don't want to see it end like that for him either. problem is if doctors say he can play then i don't see him retiring. trent green was told he was ok to play until the next big hit. knowing he was at risk of his brain becoming Swiss cheese did not stop the guy from coming back a few times. Head injuries and neck injuries are no joke. I hope he considers retirement even if the doctors say he's ok to play. You got nothing else to prove at this point.

My take on what Bill Polian said this morning seems to say that Manning will probably not know in a few weeks if he can come back. It certainly doesn't sound like he knows now....

"I've been asked this since September, and I've given the same answer. I don't know," says former Colts general manager Bill Polian, appearing on the "Mike and Mike" show on 1070 The Fan. " This is the most troubling, the most vexing, the most difficult injury situation I've faced in 35 years of professional football."

Manning told the Indianapolis Star this week that he will not retire without trying to come back from his neck injury, but Polian quoted Manning's surgeon in saying there is no way to know if that can happen. "There is no potion, there is no medicine, there is no modatity, there is no series of exercises, there is no test and there is no surgery that can predict accurately when a nerve will regenerate."

Polian: No Way Of Knowing Peyton Manning's Future | Indy's News Center - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis - Live. Local. First.

He has 28 million reasons to try and come back, or to force the Colts to make that decision for him... I see this as the Colts turn to make a move, not Manning. The most surprising thing out of all of this would be for him to retire before the bonus is due. That won't happen.

i wonder how good those 28 million reasons will look when he permanently screws himself up after the next big hit. pretty risky....

If the nerves haven't sufficiently regenerated enough by March 8 when the bonus is due, you would think he would have to be released by the Colts.

If they have and he's deemed recovered enough I believe he will be released by the Colts anyway, primarily because of the recent house cleaning the organization has gone through.

March 8 is all of a sudden not that far away... ;)

i wonder how good those 28 million reasons will look when he permanently screws himself up after the next big hit. pretty risky....

That's happened how many times in how many generations of football though? It's probably still exponentially more dangerous and riskier to drive or take the team bus anywhere before the game.

That's happened how many times in how many generations of football though? It's probably still exponentially more dangerous and riskier to drive or take the team bus anywhere before the game.

of course it is but that's not we're talking about here. its entirely up to him if he wants to risk further injury to his neck. one big helmet to helmet hit may do it or it may not. personally i wouldn't take the risk. but that's me.....

of course it is but that's not we're talking about here. its entirely up to him if he wants to risk further injury to his neck. one big helmet to helmet hit may do it or it may not. personally i wouldn't take the risk. but that's me.....

I think we're really overstating the risk though, and how often are QBs drilled with a 'big helmet to helmet hit' in this day and age, especially as a QB who camps out in the pocket like Manning who has averaged ~55 yards rushing per season (this average has dropped to 20 yards/season since 2003)? He's also pretty durable, as the hits he has taken haven't caused him to miss a single game in 13 years prior to this season. Every player is a bad concussion away from ending their career on any given play, the current rules and the era that he is now playing in help minimize the risk.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)