Phase III Dish, SL3 mod questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
A buddy wants to put a SL3 LNB on a older 12x24" Phase III dish to take with his RV. I looked up some of the posts with the pictures but have a question?

Is it best to cut the "groove" and seat the SL3 all the way in the LNB holder? I saw posts that did it both ways. One post said they got the best signal seating the SL3 LNB all the way in. I've been meaning to play around with this mod myself but haven't had the time yet.

I know this hardware mod isn't "authorized" by DirecTV installers, but then neither was the Primestar dish / DirecTV LNB set-up I used for several years.

I have been running with this setup for well over a year:up
I opted to grind down the nub that was on the LNB & seat it all the way in the dish arm LNB holder. I get 99 & 103 TPs with signal in the 80s & most 101s are in the 90s.
I did not try it the other way, leaving a gap between the LNB & dish LNB holder, so I wouldn't be able to compare the difference in results...But I can attest to the fact that it works well, only losing signal a couple times, once in winter when the snow was built up so bad that it got between the LNB & the dish:rant:& a couple times when the HEAVY rain first was rolling in....

I'm curious why you want to use a Phase III dish for this. Is it just to save room during storage, since a Slimline doesn't have the issues you are running into.

I'm curious why you want to use a Phase III dish for this. Is it just to save room during storage, since a Slimline doesn't have the issues you are running into.

I agree the Slimline is best for home use, but for RV's it is kinda big and bulky to haul around.

The phase III dish is smaller, and the diameter of the mount fits most existing RV dish set-ups verses the larger diameter of the slimline mount.

My RV dish "stand" I got years ago from a Pegasus store works with the old 18" single LNB dish and the Phase III dish.

Some ppl do use this mod for home use; for patios, window mounts, or similar places where the slimline dish is simply to big and bulky.

I agree the Slimline is best for home use, but for RV's it is kinda big and bulky to haul around.

The phase III dish is smaller, and the diameter of the mount fits most existing RV dish set-ups verses the larger diameter of the slimline mount.

My RV dish "stand" I got years ago from a Pegasus store works with the old 18" single LNB dish and the Phase III dish.

Some ppl do use this mod for home use; for patios, window mounts, or similar places where the slimline dish is simply to big and bulky.

I have read of several setups like yours that work reasonably well. Your reasons make good sense.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)