Phillies in Philadelphia AREA on Directtv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

evanwins

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Philadelphia area
does anyone near philadelphia get the phillies through MLB extra Innings AND local Philadelphia networks on directTv? Games are blacked out in my area and just wondering if anyone gets both.

Your best bet is to "move" to NY. You can also keep your fingers crossed that Comcast doesn't keep fighting to keep CSN Philly from DTV post merger.

Nope , D* sucks in the Philly DMA as far as Hocky,Basketball, and BaseBall Go.

If your an Eagles fan, you get plenty of shows.
If you like the Phillies and live in the Philadelphia DMA, the you should get Cable, or Fios

some parts of NY DMA (North West NJ) are blacked out for phillies games too..So pick an address in NY

I was hoping to "move" to a zip code where I would still get my local networks and get the phillies games through an MLB EI subscription. I cannot seem to find the tools to determine what zip code that would be. I would think the Harrisburg area is probably far enough to avoid blackouts but close enough where they still get the philadelphia networks. Any ideas

If your an Eagles fan, you get plenty of shows.
If you like the Phillies and live in the Philadelphia DMA, the you should get Cable, or Fios

Satellite customers from both companies can thank Comcast for that. You guys a little more, than us. DirecTV would actually pay to carry CSN Philly. Our company is openly isolating NYC, and that's the biggest market in America, so I don't think that they would care about Philly if the price didn't fit their agenda.

its not D*, its Comcast and the FCC for allowing an ancient loophole to exist so CSN Philly cant get on satellite. Sure thats been closed now but CSN Philly is probably asking for an absorbant amount of money

and since the OP decided to PM me about 30 minutes after he posted with the same question, I'll post my reponse here

Oof. I dont know if thats possible. The RSN coverage area is usually bigger than what the local market is. So to get the Phils you'd have to "move" outside of the Philly area and what area is "claimed" by the Phillies which can be a pretty big area.
Have you thought of using a AM21 to get the Philly stations OTA?

Iceberg is correct. It's not D* it's Comcast using an ANCIENT loophole to block CSN Philly rights to D*. It's actually a law from 1972 they are using. The original1972 law obviously has nothing to do with satellite television. Further Comcast is trying to leverage the Sunday ticket rights for this channel, which of course D* will (wisely) never give up. In the end its the customers who suffer.

Have you thought of using a AM21 to get the Philly stations OTA?[/QUOTE]

Does anyone have any insight on this. I have PMed iceberg back but I probably should have asked in the forum first.

Has anyone used an AM21 in Philly for this application?

An AM21 gets plugged into the receiver to receive OTA channels (locals). You can use an indoor or outdoor antenna depending on location and it sits right on top of the receiver.
Setup is a breeze. You unplug the receiver and hook the power cord to the AM21. Plug the USB cable from the AM21 to the receiver. There is a jumper power cord from the AM21 that you plug into the receiver. Turn receiver back on and in the menu where you can check your satellite signal there is an "antenna setup" option. Plug in the zip code for your area and thats it. Locals load into the guide for Philly and as long as you have a good antenna signal you can get Philly locals that way. They sell for $50 at the Directv site and would also allow you to get the subchannels that are out there OTA. As example WPHL has "antenna TV" and "This TV" on their OTA subchannels. Both have older TV shows and movies.

So the solution would be this: "Move" to an area where Phillies games are not blacked out. Subscribe to MLB EI to watch the games. Get an AM21 to re-get the local networks.
Got it.
As I watch the games only in one room, I think I will just get a small apartment in NY and take advantage of DirectTv's vacation home program (if it's still active) where I can pay $5 for service at another location. I will just watch the games when I "go to NY"
Soundls like a plan, hope it works.

I think it was called PRISM is what caused the loophole. If i still live in NJ i would have comcast just because of the local sport teams.
The $5 dollars service for another location can you please explain that thanks

its not D*, its Comcast and the FCC for allowing an ancient loophole to exist so CSN Philly cant get on satellite. Sure thats been closed now but CSN Philly is probably asking for an absorbant amount of money
I don't care who's fault it is.
Fact is D* is not who you turn to for Philly Sports.

yep. They are using the old PRISM infrastructure

I'm not too sure about that..PRISM used microwaves..Im pretty sure Comcast upgraded to some sort fiber backbone system (and still was able to maintain the satellite exception)..They were forced to share the service with "fios" in the philly area (because they use no satellite uplink they are exempt)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)