Phoenix E* HD, thinking of D* HD switch -- many questions!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swartzfeger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi all,

Currently a Dish subscriber in a very remote corner of Scottsdale, AZ. Dish's HD content is ok, but the lack of HD LIL is *killing* me (can't get OTA because I'm about 35 miles out and surrounded almost 360° by mountains).

It sounds like DirecTV is very close to rolling out mpeg4/HD LIL in the top 12 markets (with Phoenix being #14, I think). Anyway, with HD LIL being imminent and XM close at hand, I'm seriously thinking of switching. A few questions though:

1. Do current D* HD customers get priority over new customers when the mpeg4 rollout occurs in a metro area?

2. I definitely want a HD DVR. If I bought now (mpeg2), would D* upgrade my DVR for free in Spring 06 when the mpeg 4 DVRs are released, or will I have to pony up more $?

3. Would it be more beneficial ($) for me to simply signup for D* HD now and transition to mpeg4 once the rollout occurs in Phoenix, or should I just sit tight until it happens?

4. Is it true you can get a HD DVR through DirecTV now for $99 after rebates/incentives? I'm seeing lots of threads about this here and on other forums but Direc's site still says $499.

5. Any word on a phoenix mpeg4 rollout? Other threads guessed that Boston may not happen before December, so I'm guessing that would push Phoenix out until early '06.

Despite not having any commitment/contracts with Dish now, signing for a 2 year with Direc wouldn't bother me if I could get a good DVR deal now and be able to upgrade for free in the spring whenever they're released.

Any thoughts, recommendations, advice etc is greatly appreciated!

1. Do current D* HD customers get priority over new customers when the mpeg4 rollout occurs in a metro area?
No.

2. I definitely want a HD DVR. If I bought now (mpeg2), would D* upgrade my DVR for free in Spring 06 when the mpeg 4 DVRs are released, or will I have to pony up more $?
Think if you have HD TiVo they might give you a discount on new HD DVR. Have they stated in writing free HR20 (or whatever model) for your HR10-250? If you have R10 or R15 I imagine the upgrade will not be free .

3. Would it be more beneficial ($) for me to simply signup for D* HD now and transition to mpeg4 once the rollout occurs in Phoenix, or should I just sit tight until it happens?
No, Maybe, I guess so. They will have to install a new dish and new receivers. If you install now you will know that you have line of sight to most of the sats' and the wiring will be pre-installed. You get the new customer discounts only once - not a big deal, but can vary if you need muliple higher end boxes.

4. Is it true you can get a HD DVR through DirecTV now for $99 after rebates/incentives? I'm seeing lots of threads about this here and on other forums but Direc's site still says $499.
I thought that ended. Keep watching here and at TCF to see if people are getting the deal. I thought existing (long term) subs were getting the retention offers to get it at $99.

5. Any word on a phoenix mpeg4 rollout? Other threads guessed that Boston may not happen before December, so I'm guessing that would push Phoenix out until early '06.
Denver (DMA 18) stations were talking before SuperBowl, but I find that optimistic. Kinda depends on how many H20s and new dishes they can make. The logistics for the backhaul/uplink is not trivial - but hopefully preplanned for all 24 markets.

Despite not having any commitment/contracts with Dish now, signing for a 2 year with Direc wouldn't bother me if I could get a good DVR deal now and be able to upgrade for free in the spring whenever they're released.
The new HD DVRs are going to be available in the Spring?? Both the HR10-250 and R15 slipped a few months due to the fact these are complicated products (and unlike Dish, DTV likes to ship a working product ;) ).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)