Phoenix HD Upgrade Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sundevil

Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
For those of you in Phoenix with the new dishes and receivers - did Directv call you to upgrade or did you just do it on your own ? I have the old Samsung HD receiver and thought I read somewhere that Directv would contact you to upgrade to MPEG-4 when HD locals were available.

sundevil said:
For those of you in Phoenix with the new dishes and receivers - did Directv call you to upgrade or did you just do it on your own ? I have the old Samsung HD receiver and thought I read somewhere that Directv would contact you to upgrade to MPEG-4 when HD locals were available.

That was long ago. From the way I read it, they tried and tried to keep people from calling way in advance and bogging them down; thus them calling users, BUT as always no one respected that and flooded them with calls anyway, so out the window went their plan; and now users call them. Not sure if that is 110% true, but it sure would be no surprise. Call them ASAP.

Reply I got from Directv:

Thanks for asking about MPEG-4-capable equipment. A replacement offer is not available today because we have not yet started to convert any of our MPEG-2 programming to the new MPEG-4 transmission standard. As we get closer to converting channels, we will notify customers who may lose DIRECTV HD programming to contact us to schedule an upgrade. We hope to begin converting some channels this summer, but do not yet have a definite timeline. Until then, your current DIRECTV HD equipment will continue to deliver the great DIRECTV HD programming you receive today.

In the meantime, we are offering the MPEG-4-capable equipment at a substantially reduced price for current DIRECTV HD customers in select markets who want to add the new local HD programming. Visit our web site at DIRECTV.com/Local to see if HD locals are available in your area.
The current price to replace your primary HD receiver and dish is $99, then $99 for each additional HD receiver replacement. If you live in an area where we have launched local channels in HD and would like to replace your equipment now, you can order now by calling 1-800-DIRECTV.

Yep that sounds like the same old deal to me; no 100% freebie from what I have read unless you are a new customer or until the day arrives that it becomes mandatory, a they said. I THINK I may have read of someone getting the $99 back one a contract extension, but I am not sure on that. You would need to call them directly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)