Phone connnection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

titanman100

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
I have 5 receivers that are all connected to phone lines. I would like to get rid of my land line and was told by direct tv that I needed to have one of my receivers hooked to a land line since I have 5. This makes no since to me and would like to know if this is true?

updates

The phone lines are used to update and order PPV. Many people now only have cell phones and no landlines. Just pull the plug. Ordering PPV via the TV screen will be disabled but still available via their website and and phone.

Yeah I haven't had a phone line hooked up to any of my receivers for nearly a year. I really don't think it's a necessity at this point.

how will you get updates if you have no phone line? will internet connection allow for updates?

The phone lines are used to update and order PPV. Many people now only have cell phones and no landlines. Just pull the plug. Ordering PPV via the TV screen will be disabled but still available via their website and and phone.

Ordering PPV via the website is much better anyway. A big advantage is that it goes to ALL your receivers in case you want to change rooms during a show. :D

Ordering PPV via phone is extra btw, Online is no extra Charge. Unless you have a TiVo or Non-DirecTV branded box you need the phone line for updates. Else you are good to get rid of your landline service.

Ordering PPV via phone is extra btw, Online is no extra Charge. Unless you have a TiVo or Non-DirecTV branded box you need the phone line for updates. Else you are good to get rid of your landline service.

I think you have that backwards. The Tivo (non-Directv DVRs) need the phone line to authorize updates which are sent via satellite. Directv brand (other than the R10, which is Tivo) don't need the phone line to update.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)