phone line and using internet phone system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

obeythelaw

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
New Jersey
A friend of mine currently has cable which includes cable internet and cable phone. He wants to switch to Directv. However, the phone, even though it uses the land based phone wiring/jacks, is actually a cable modem. Would you still be able to plug the satellite receivers into the phone jack?

A friend of mine currently has cable which includes cable internet and cable phone. He wants to switch to Directv. However, the phone, even though it uses the land based phone wiring/jacks, is actually a cable modem. Would you still be able to plug the satellite receivers into the phone jack?

Just let D* know that you don't have a land line.
Once they know that , they note it on your account and then proceed normally.

Jimbo

I also have Vonage and have no noticeable problems. But your friend needs to know that if he switches to D*, he will either need to contact his local baby bell or keep paying Comcast for the VoIP service. It may seem obvious, but I have heard sillier situations ;) And his Comcast bill will go up a little by dropping the TV portion of the service, as he will no longer be fully bundled. It may ultimately be cheaper for him to drop TV and Phone, keep high speed internet, and sign up for a service such as Vonage. I know in our area, Comcast Digital Voice is being offered at an introductory rate of $36/month (when bundled) and then goes up to about $40 after intro period is over. Vonage is $25/month, no if's, and's or but's. And here's another money saving trick with Comcast...downgrade to lowest possible TV service, keep the Internet service, and your bill will actually be lower than Internet alone by about $1-$3/month. ;)

Vonage also has a $15 monthly service with 500 free minutes. Since we use much less than (empty nesters) that I picked that plan. The calls made by the Directv receiver are to a toll-free number and don't count in the total (neither do incoming calls).

you can use a cable modem based phone system with directv.

you would just disconnect/cancel the cable tv service portion, use the existing phone system/lines, and connect a phone line to the directv unit.

not an issue.

I use time warner for phone, verizon fios for internet. If the cable phone bill goes up after the year I would just ask for another year for the same price. if they say no I would tell them to stick it and go with another provider.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)