Phone Line Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

souelle1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
I want to get rid of my landline and was wondering what exactly the purpose of having a phone line connected to the receivers is.

I've heard it's primary for ordering PPV.

Thanks

DTV will tell you otherwise but you can get along just fine without it. My sub has been land line-less since it's installation.

Just order PPV's on their website.

UB. :)

Yeah you don't need a land line at all, and if you order PPV on the website you can view it on all of your receivers rather than just 1. I've never purchased a PPV, but that's what the installer told me.

If you have HR2X HD DVR's and they're connected to your home network and have internet access they're supposed to be able to use that path for handling PPV purchases.

It is basically for PPVs like the other posters have said. I have not had any phone lines hooked up since install with no problem

I want to get rid of my landline and was wondering what exactly the purpose of having a phone line connected to the receivers is.

I've heard it's primary for ordering PPV.

Thanks
AS noted by others, you don't have to have the phone connected... particularly if you have internet connected. As for PPV, even with a phone line connected, that feature has never worked for me. But using the D* website is better anyway IMHO. When ordering there, you can do it ahead of time AND get it to all your rec'vrs. (in my case it's 5) so if you change rooms you can still see the PPV. HTH:cool:

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be charged for not having the reveiver hooked up to a phone line. I remember years ago when I was with dish I got charged a monthy fee for not having the phone line connected, why they did this I'll never understand, Anyway

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I'm dropping the landline.:)

I just went landline less myself and after asking DTV about their requirements they simply said its not a necessity except its easy to PPV etc, but not a requirtement anymore.

I think this goes back to the hacking days when they wanted to be able to check what you watched. Since hacking appears to be a thing of the past,they no longer are so worried.

interactive programming will not work without a phone line, so if your a subscription fan, you might want to give csr a call and see if they can still set you up over the 800 num.

Guys, good thread here. I have a question about the land line regarding sports pkgs. I subscribe to the major sports pks and I remember the old rule that required the land line hookup for any of the sports packs. Is that also a thing of the past? I've been thinking about dropping my land line as well to cut household costs.

interactive programming will not work without a phone line, so if your a subscription fan, you might want to give csr a call and see if they can still set you up over the 800 num.

I have been with Directv for 10 yrs, I have never had a landline hooked up and I have no problem using the interactive functions from sports. I've had hotpass and mlbei and everything works fine. The interactive channels they had for golf also worked fine. The Active button they have now for your weather, etc. works fine as well. Also use the game lounge with no problem

Guys, good thread here. I have a question about the land line regarding sports pkgs. I subscribe to the major sports pks and I remember the old rule that required the land line hookup for any of the sports packs. Is that also a thing of the past? I've been thinking about dropping my land line as well to cut household costs.

I have NFLSF,MLBE,GAMEPLAN,FULL COURT and NCAA Tournament packages and all have worked fine. Just as an aside,I have finally found an installer in my area that knows what he is doing and all is good in DTV land(at least for now):)

souelle1,
One thing that IS an advantage to having a phone line plugged in, is that you get your Caller Id on the TV.

Jimbo

souelle1,
One thing that IS an advantage to having a phone line plugged in, is that you get your Caller Id on the TV.

Jimbo

Yes I thought about that and I will for sure miss it, however I'll save around $40 to $50 a month so I'll have to get use to not having this feature.

I'll just have to start getting off my butt to check my cell phone. :)

Yes I thought about that and I will for sure miss it, however I'll save around $40 to $50 a month so I'll have to get use to not having this feature.

I'll just have to start getting off my butt to check my cell phone. :)

If your saving that much money, I'd say it's a No Brainer :D

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts