Phone line required?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rugbyqueen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Houston, TX
Do you still have to be connected to a landline phone line with DirecTV? Ordering new service and not sure what the status is with that. The D* website made it sound like you had to be connected to take advantage of certain things, but that it wasn't required.

Thanks.

They would LIKE you to have one hooked up, also works for seeing your CID on the TV.
However, with a good part of the population not having landlines anymore ....

If you have a landline phone, they probably will connect the boxes to it when they install. However as soon as the installer leaves, you can unplug the lines and throw the phone cable away if you want. :cool:

My mother-in-law had an install done and the guy stapled the phone lines OVER her bathroom door in her master bedroom to reach the phone jack, it looked really tacky. She complained about it to me so I went and "cleaned up" the mess. Everything at her place works fine, also she doesn't do the PPV thing. It would be required for that* as mdram mentioned (unless you order PPV through the website).

This was with the older HR21 series boxes and before the whole home DVR thing started, I'm not sure how all of that works now and what needs to be connected for that to work.

i think its required for ppv

Not required for PPV but can be used for that. Keep in mind though, if you purchase PPV via the remote over the phone line only that specific receiver gets the PPV. If you purchase PPV over the internet (your online Direct TV account) all receivers on your account get the PPV.

I've never had my receivers hooked to a phone line and both times I've had an installer at my house for the initial install and an upgrade, neither said one word about a phone line connection.

Installers are required to connect a certain % of receivers installed (usually 40-45%) or THEY get charged by D*. D* wants you to have easiest possible access to PPV (with remote from recliner) as a revenue generator. Getting tougher as Jimbo mentioned...fewer and fewer landlines found.

I found you can also call them and tell the the units connected to the internet and the will activate remote ordering; HOWEVER, as said above order from the website is much better, being on all TVs

Do you still have to be connected to a landline phone line with DirecTV? Ordering new service and not sure what the status is with that. The D* website made it sound like you had to be connected to take advantage of certain things, but that it wasn't required.

Thanks.

Not a requirement.

I've been with DirecTV since at least 2004 and have never have had any of my receivers connected to a phone line. I haven't had a landline since god knows when.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)