Photos from Team Summit 2005!

Did you notice that the 411 info card states QAM-capable on it? Maybe we could take a basic cable feed into the box and be able to also get the cable HD channels without having to use cable's HD box? Would be a nice alternative to have, all in one box...

Well I have a friend that’s thinking about going from Direct to Dish. But he is looking at the 942 is it going to be MPEF4? Or should I tell him to wait and see if they will come out with a MPEG4 HD receiver with DVR built in. I’m just glad to see the 411 since I’m on an 811 but I know some folks want to have a model with DVR so they can record their HD stuff.Right now Im thinking of telling him to waite untill this summer or first of May or August.

calikarim said:
Boy am i glad i upgraded to Dish 942 after voom, and got Americas Top 120. I almost got Direct TV because of the new spaceway satellites campaign. It looks like dish will be the leader in HD .

If this rumour is true, that there will be a Voom 10, and onl Dish network, tomorrow we should all get wasted. What a day, Voom lives on again

I am crossing my fingers, I am glad i picked Dish not Direct TV. Boy MPEG 4 and Voom,

Dish network could be our saviour. Why didn't they tell us before to swtich to Dish and not pick any carrier. What about those that signed to a year of direct tv, that isn't fair.
Well Cali, if you had ponied up some cash to support this site, you could have been a Pub member and known a week ago that this was possible.

DishBacker said:
Did you notice that the 411 info card states QAM-capable on it? Maybe we could take a basic cable feed into the box and be able to also get the cable HD channels without having to use cable's HD box? Would be a nice alternative to have, all in one box...

Assuming the QAM capable means it can decode QAM encoded hd feeds.. It will be possible to receive the unencrypted hd channels from your cable hookup. This usually means your local ota channels. Cable encrypts the rest so you cant get an "all in one" solution.

I notice from the 411 Info Card that Dish is making the same PR mistakes again. Looks like it says USB 2.x compatible. Everyone will jump on that for a potential archive solution, then holler if it isn't activated.

DishBacker said:

Unlikely. I suspect the QAM refers the MDU QAM capability.

Well just got off the phone with Dish and the lady told me the new 10 Voom channels should show up once they go active. So basically if your a HD subscriber they will show up in your guide so keep a eye out. Also whay kind of Inputs does the 411 have?? Like DVI,HDMI so on??

Nevermind I see what video inputs the 411 have now. I shold have looked closer at the picture. Again thanks Scott for all the info! :)

mdonnelly said:
I notice from the 411 Info Card that Dish is making the same PR mistakes again. Looks like it says USB 2.x compatible. Everyone will jump on that for a potential archive solution, then holler if it isn't activated.
That's probably just for the Dish Pod portable viewer (works with, or will work with, the new E* DVRs) if it's not a mistake. Since this is not a DVR, I think it might be a misprint. Unless the Dish Pod can "offload" stuff in realtime.

DishBacker said:

The 811 is QAM capable too, and it is used to distribute Dish network programming (like in a hotel) over cable. I doubt they would ever want to program it to pick up cable HD.

I am curious about the dish 1000, is this going to be replacing the superdish (specefically at the 121 area)? Reason I'm asking is my locals were just added to 121 but because of the size of the superdish it's not a good option for me.

Thanks

No, It's a new 3 DBS dish combo, not replacing a superdish or anything like that, and also why it's not called a superdish

Does anyone else think it is interesting that the 411 info card say that it is a future replacement for the 811 AND 311.

Could this become the 'standard' Dish receiver with an eventual plan to move everything to MPEG 4 (Many years out of course)?

Also since the 411 design mimics the 942 design, my guess would be that they will re-release the 942 with MPEG 4 compatibility. What a day...all this news! :D