Photos from Team Summit 2005!

jollygrunt said:
In what way(s) are they planning on going wireless? :what

Will they be connecting the stb to the net like SBC & Verizon are planning to do with their boxes for more interactive services than what they currently have with opentv?

the way it was put from the meeting this morning was....."wireless the way we're(dish) is moving. why should we spend more money in the field when we have means to make a complete wireless system. customer don't want more wires they want less".....

Finally, we are advancing to the next state of satellite and television technology. The leap is being made foreward.

Would the MPEG-4 reciever also be MPEG-2 until all the recievers got swapped out? Wouldn't having the reciever MPEG-2 compatable as well raise the production cost of the reciever? Its about time that they launch all recievers in MPEG-4 HD. This was a prediction I made a while back that they would soon launch an HD reciever that would become standard in all installations. I am also going to guess that all recievers that go bad will be replaced by this new reciever. Perhaps Dish Network could sell the current MPEG-2 recievers to another company that could use them with their service.

I suspect that they will start changing channel packages over to MPEG-4 over time. For example they will change the HD Package over first. They will probably have some channels in both MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 at the same time like they used to do with QPSK and 8PSK. Eventually they will turn off the MPEG-2 versions. I suspect that they will then move to premiums then work their way down the AT packages. AT-60 (and internationals) might stay MPEG-2 for many years as they slowly let all the old boxes die.

Remember when they switch from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 for the non HD channels they will also be switching to 8PSK and that will give them about 50% more space per transponder, so they will be able to offer a lot higher PQ and more channels at the same time.

With the gain from 4PSK to 8PSK it's 2:1, with MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 it's another 2:1 or so, we're looking at give or take an aggregate 4:1 assuming they eventually encode everything with MPEG-4.

Cheers,

"They will probably have some channels in both MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 at the same time like they used to do with QPSK and 8PSK."
Are you sure ? It will requred double bandwidth !
BTW, latest development push new modulation 16APSK and 32APSK for MPEG-4 stream.

mike123abc said:
so they will be able to offer a lot higher PQ and more channels at the same time.

Its sad to say but you will never see higher PQ. If noone is leaving specifically because of poor PQ, why just give away the bandwidth? If the average person cannot see the diff between D* and E*, then they will continue to provide the lowest "acceptable" level of PQ. Sad but true.

This isn't a huge dish, it's a dish smaller than a superdish, it's very similar to D*s triple sat

Heh, maybe bnaivar meant 8 foot as in the length (width), with all these dozen LNBs on it, but still 18" or so high with these newer satellites being high powered. Now that would be an odd sight in our backyards. :)

Smith said:
"They will probably have some channels in both MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 at the same time like they used to do with QPSK and 8PSK."
Are you sure ? It will requred double bandwidth !
BTW, latest development push new modulation 16APSK and 32APSK for MPEG-4 stream.

Well I suspect that they will have the MPEG-2 versions on 61.5 and 148 for a while during the transition and if they get approval on 129, 129 will have the MPEG-4 versions. This is like when they went from QPSK to 8PSK. QPSK was kept on the wings for a while while 8PSK was on 110. I have not seen any announcements of 16APSK or 32APSK yet, but it would probably be hard to get it all worked out before the fall when I suspect Dish wants to release MPEG-4 with the firing up of 129.

I think Dish would be smart to make the 411, then skip directly to a 444. A whole house solution. Heck with the dual tuners. Take two lines off the DPPTwin and seperate them into 4 tuners.

Then you make the Dish Pod work just like USB-Memory sticks do. Just plug and play, software onboard. That'll make any 411-444 into a DVR, with upgrades to the Dish-Pod in the future instead of the receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)