Photos on 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jb1945

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Sacramento, California
The User's Guide from Dish Network includes a simple looking procedure to put photographs on the 622 hard drive for display on the TV. It appears this can be done using any device with a USB connection. Has anyone tried using this feature? Any pitfalls to avoid?

it does not work yet.

However I have seen it working myself at Team Summit, and at Team Summit they said that they HOPE to have it availalable by this fall.

Scott Greczkowski said:
it does not work yet.

However I have seen it working myself at Team Summit, and at Team Summit they said that they HOPE to have it availalable by this fall.

I did get my HD to work via the USB drive (needed to be unix or fat32, no ntfs drives) and it shows up I tried recording using the EXT option, but it still didn't work even though the feature is there. I haven't put any photos on the drive so I don't know if that works currently.

I've done it multiple times with my USB flash drive. It works just fine. I keep hoping they will enable the USB port for copying recorded shows back and forth but it might just be enabled for PocketDish devices :(

Scott Greczkowski said:
it does not work yet.

USB cameras work just fine. Hard drives I don't have any experience with just yet. I have successfully copied pictures from my digital camera to the 622 with no problems.

Cameras and USB sticks work, USB hard drives do not. note on the USB stick the pictures must be in the root directory.

Interesting, a flash drive will work but an external hard drive will not. By root directory, do mean that there can be no folders or sub-folders? Could that be the reason the hard drive will not work?

I had photos in a directory on the flash drive and could not access them until i moved them to the root of the drive. It did not see the folders because all it looks for are picture files.

Thanks for your reply. It is too bad the 622 will not accept folders. It would be nice to keep them organized with a title as I do on the computer, ie: Joe's Birthday Party, Trip to Reno, Xmas 2005 etc. It would be difficult to work with large numbers of photos all in one basket.

jb1945 said:
Thanks for your reply. It is too bad the 622 will not accept folders. It would be nice to keep them organized with a title as I do on the computer, ie: Joe's Birthday Party, Trip to Reno, Xmas 2005 etc. It would be difficult to work with large numbers of photos all in one basket.
On the 622 you do group the pictures in folders. Just will not read them from flash cards that have them in folders.

Last edited:
Don't buy a flash drive from anywhere but online for the best price. You will pay way too much if you go to walmart, best buy or circuit city... I have found that Buy.com to be a pretty good source.

A smart shopper will do some internet research to find the best prices.. imho.

Bought a 512 mb PNY flash drive at Staples. The above poster is correct in that there are generally a good selection and lower prices on the internet. However, I walked into an in-store special: $15 after a $15 rebate. Downloaded some photos in a few minutes, uploaded them to the 622 for a test run. Everything works great.

Two comments, just in case anyone is interested. 1. Creating a new file on the 622 is a slow process if doing more the few shows. 2. The pictures cannot be accessed from tv2.

I was hoping to grab some test patterns off the web and view them this way but two problems....1) only appears to work with JPG files and not GIF......2) The picture, 1920x1080 does not fill the screen. There is a black border all the way around all pictures. Anyone have any answers?

Last edited:
I have done this several times. I remove my memory card from my Canon and put it in a SD/MMC card reader and plug the USB end in and voila, photos are downloaded. I have done it 200 at a time, takes about 5 minutes, it groups them by date.

I would like to know if this takes away from usable space for programming or this space is not available for our use anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)