Physical address change to get different local channels on Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tallcool1

Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
WI
Hello,
I have been researching for a long time on how to get different local channels. After reading many threads, I called Dish and changed the physical address. I went from New Richmond, WI to Chippewa Falls, WI. Well, it didn't work. I am not recieving the Eau Claire/ Lacrosse locals. In fact, I recieve NO local channels from anywhere. Obviously, I have no idea of what I am doing. Apparently, Chippewa Falls is not available in my area. So...can someone tell me straight out...What phsyical address/ area / zip code can I use? I just want to recieve something else than the Minneapolis/St Paul locals.....(I can receive them with an over-the-air antenna)
For years, I have been trying to get the Packer games when the Vikings are playing at the same time. The Antenna i have is not working 100% of the time. I must be on the edge of it's range.
I really don't understand the spot beam area stuff and very confused on what my next step should be.
Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks

Hello,
I have been researching for a long time on how to get different local channels. After reading many threads, I called Dish and changed the physical address. I went from New Richmond, WI to Chippewa Falls, WI. Well, it didn't work. I am not recieving the Eau Claire/ Lacrosse locals. In fact, I recieve NO local channels from anywhere. Obviously, I have no idea of what I am doing. Apparently, Chippewa Falls is not available in my area. So...can someone tell me straight out...What phsyical address/ area / zip code can I use? I just want to recieve something else than the Minneapolis/St Paul locals.....(I can receive them with an over-the-air antenna)
For years, I have been trying to get the Packer games when the Vikings are playing at the same time. The Antenna i have is not working 100% of the time. I must be on the edge of it's range.
I really don't understand the spot beam area stuff and very confused on what my next step should be.
Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks

you should be getting LaCrosse/Eau Claire locals in New Richmond. The spotbeam covers the eastern part of the Twin Cities along with the area its suppose to cover

What type of dish do you have? Does it face SE or SW? Reason I ask is Minneapolis locals are on both arcs (Eastern and Western) while LaCrosse is only on Western Arc (110/119/129). If it faces SE then you are on EA and that wont work

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks for such a quick reponse!
I have a TURBO HD DISH which is a 1000.2 I believe. It is facing SE.
Since it is on EA...what can I do now?
What are my options?
Thanks

Last edited:
1) Move back
2) Get a western arc LNB assembly for your dish, and reorient it.

yeah unfortunately you would need a different dish to get LaCrosse

The other option is either Madison or Milwaukee. But I dont know if the spotbeam reaches your location. Check on the signal map (menu 6-1-1) 61.5 satellite transponder 5 (Madison) or 9 (Milwaukee). Make sure where it says "transponder" that it changes to "spotbeam" when showing a signal

I followed your instructions: (menu 6-1-1) changed to 61.5 satellite and transponder 5 (Madison). "Transponder" changed to "spotbeam" when showing a signal - the signal strength was 41
Changed to 9 (Milwaukee). Signal is 18
My current settings: transponder 19 and satellite 72 signal strenth is 47 - which is still the Chippewa Falls address (Eau Claire/LaCrosse)

Does this mean madison will not work?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A few years ago, a friend was doing the FTA "thing". He was able to get the local channels from all over the US with DNetwork. How was that possible without moving the dish? Was there changes with the digital transition? Can a legal FTA setup capture "national" broadcasts (Fox Abc NBC CBS) or some local channels from somewhere?

What really sucks is all I want to do is get free over the air tv in my own state. Does anyone have an opinion of Slingbox or something similiar?

Thanks to all for your assistance!!

A few years ago, a friend was doing the FTA "thing". He was able to get the local channels from all over the US with DNetwork. How was that possible without moving the dish? Was there changes with the digital transition? Can a legal FTA setup capture "national" broadcasts (Fox Abc NBC CBS) or some local channels from somewhere?

What really sucks is all I want to do is get free over the air tv in my own state. Does anyone have an opinion of Slingbox or something similiar?

DISH locals are broadcasts on spot beams and if you don't live in that beam area, you cant pick up signal for those locals. There are some national feeds from NY and SF I think but not many more. If someone had a slingbox and locals from another location, that would work to view them remotely. I think that's more work than what it would be worth, in my opinion but I'm sure a slingbox would work to get locals from across the country but you just need someone located in those other areas with a slingbox.

You have to do some research on what spot beams are in your area before you go ahead and "move". The first time I tried it, I could not "see" the HD spots for the market I wanted and then I had Dish reset my extra dish from 61.5 to 129 and then the HD spots were "visable" and I made the "move" and it worked. I have had them for about three years now with no problems.

Hello, I am back with an update.
Recently, I had issues with a tree blocking my reception (The Dish was mounted pointing over a tree that eventually grew - imagine that) Anyways, I had to have a Dish Tech come out and take a look. Well, rather than move the Dish somewhere else, he pointed it SW. Now it uses 110, 119, & 129. If I make the "move" now, should I be able to pick up the Eau Claire/ Lacrosse locals?
Thanks!!

Does anyone have an opinion of Slingbox or something similiar?
The Slingbox is wonderful but you would still need to have your antenna and receiver installed somewhere where they could pick up the locals you wanted.

The best and most above board way to change what locals you get is to physically move to an address in the appropriate DMA.

Hello, I am back with an update.
Recently, I had issues with a tree blocking my reception (The Dish was mounted pointing over a tree that eventually grew - imagine that) Anyways, I had to have a Dish Tech come out and take a look. Well, rather than move the Dish somewhere else, he pointed it SW. Now it uses 110, 119, & 129. If I make the "move" now, should I be able to pick up the Eau Claire/ Lacrosse locals?
Thanks!!

It looks like the spot-beam will reach almost all of Wisconsin.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...l&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=E14_SBB12.jpg

Sounds like hack talk. Only way to get all the locals was to steal the DISH signal. Thread should be locked for talk of hacking!

Get the exact address including zip code of a store or something in Atlanta.
Call dish and tell them that you need your physical address changed but that your billing address needs to stay the same. They might ask if you moved and need an installer. Just say that you do not need an installer at this time. They should be able to change it no problem and your locals should change if your in the Atlanta spotbeam.
If you ever need service or order anything from dish then you will need to call to get the physical address changed back.
Let us know how it worked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts