Physical address change to get different local channels on Dish Network

Get the exact address including zip code of a store or something in Atlanta.
Call dish and tell them that you need your physical address changed but that your billing address needs to stay the same. They might ask if you moved and need an installer. Just say that you do not need an installer at this time. They should be able to change it no problem and your locals should change if your in the Atlanta spotbeam.
If you ever need service or order anything from dish then you will need to call to get the physical address changed back.
Let us know how it worked out.[/QUOTEi
I tried this using my friends address in Atlanta they I told them I moved all the equipment and had everything set up an he said ok let me get your location so I hung up. Are they able to pump on your location like they have a gps on your receiver? That's why I hung up when they said that so I called back to try again later an the csm said I would HAVE to have a technician out an I would be 100 dollars

My understanding is the units have gps especially the new cards. On my commercial account they made me swap boxes about a year ago. They would not send just the cards. Now I see that they "ping" information though my router through one box which communicates to the rest of them. For me no big deal because my commercial account is at the billing/service address. Now my IT guy said the "ping" will only give you a area based on your IP address. But they could do more if my router was not so secured and filtered.

My understanding is the units have gps especially the new cards. On my commercial account they made me swap boxes about a year ago. They would not send just the cards. Now I see that they "ping" information though my router through one box which communicates to the rest of them. For me no big deal because my commercial account is at the billing/service address. Now my IT guy said the "ping" will only give you a area based on your IP address. But they could do more if my router was not so secured and filtered.

I don't really think Dish cares either way. I "move" quite a lot to get different locals from time to time and have never had a problem.
That being said, where did you hear that newer receivers have GPS? I have never heard of that anywhere. They can do targeted advertising on certain "cable" channels now by downlinking ads to reserved hard drive space on DVRs, but that is based on the DMA your in or are assigned to.

Reactions: pattykay
I don't really think Dish cares either way. I "move" quite a lot to get different locals from time to time and have never had a problem.
Dish cares because the Broadcasters care and always trying to catch Dish not following the rules.

We "move" a lot because we do move. Because we don't care about which Locals we get, when we arrive at a new location we just check if we are still receiving the Locals from the last location. If we are, fine. But that burnt us a little while ago. I just checked if the Locals were there and they were. What I didn't observe was they were the SD versions. We were just out of range of getting the HD Locals. That hurt when PTAT didn't work that night.

Right niw we are in Livingston, MT just north of Yellowstone. By the DMA we should be in the Billings MT DMA but all their Locals are SD. So I used the last campground address which put us into the Butte MT DMA and HD Locals.

Dish cares because the Broadcasters care and always trying to catch Dish not following the rules.

I'd like to know how broadcasters could know whether or not your in location A when you say you're physically in location B.
Dish is not going to give broadcast station owners your internal records pertaining to your business with Dish.
I don't see the Raycom, Sinclair, Nexstar, Hearst, etc... "telly police" as the Brits say (for their television license) running around, coming in and checking people's receivers to see what locals they have.

I was a "mover" going back to early last decade and as long as you don't tell them what you are doing , DISH doesn't care. The law says that DISH can't "knowingly" sell you out of area locals. You don't tell them and they won't ask. Just make sure that it is a real address in the town you want to "move" to and you add an apartment number to it. I used a movie theater in the town I wanted and added two different apartment numbers for two of my accounts to get Houston locals. I have since "moved" back to my physical location on my main account, so I could get my own locals for news ,since the ota module isn't reliable for recordings yet. Also my own town has the CW up on the satellite in Hd now , so I don't need Houston any longer. Also keep your billing address where you actually live, so you can get any bills or correspondence from DISH and make sure if you have to send your receiver back to DISH for a replacement , that you specify to DISH to send it to your BILLING address or your receiver will be sent to an undeliverable address. I have had only one situation years ago, where it was sent to the wrong address and it was my Aunt's address on my third account and she sent it back to me.

Reactions: bobvick
I'd like to know how broadcasters could know whether or not your in location A when you say you're physically in location B.
Dish is not going to give broadcast station owners your internal records pertaining to your business with Dish.
I don't see the Raycom, Sinclair, Nexstar, Hearst, etc... "telly police" as the Brits say (for their television license) running around, coming in and checking people's receivers to see what locals they have.
So the major lawsuit that Dish had to fight with the Broadcasters was just a factious story, it really didn't happen.

So the major lawsuit that Dish had to fight with the Broadcasters was just a factious story, it really didn't happen.

I think you are mixing up local into local with distant networks. Two different things. Dish's lawsuit was about selling distant networks to "non qualifying" customers to paraphrase.
Also, your response does not address the fact that they (networks or broadcast station owners) have no way to know whether or not you are where you say you are.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I have a friend who has two homes. One in Oregon & one in WA. They take their receiver back and forth rather than paying for two receivers. One area he gets OTA locals from Portland and the other is out in the sticks with no OTA possibilities, so he uses Seattle locals. In Oregon he gets Portland OTA and well as Seattle Dish locals. In Washington only Seattle locals. That was he is totally covered. I guess both spot beams overlap.

I don't really think Dish cares either way. .
They don't. I "moved" because I wanted the locals for the DNA next to mine to get twice as many NFL game choices. So, I did the usual which was to have my billing address remain the same while my new service address "moved" to the neighboring DMA. Then came the day when I decided to get the Hopper. They were adamant that I couldn't install the Hopper myself so I decided to let the tech come to my home. When there, he installed the Hopper and left. Neither he nor anyone at Dish questioned that they just installed the Hopper at my billing address as opposed to my listed service address.
P.S. I could have easily installed the Hopper myself, what's the big deal?

think you are mixing up local into local with distant networks. Two different things. Dish's lawsuit was about selling distant networks to "non qualifying" customers to paraphrase.
Also, your response does not address the fact that they (networks or broadcast station owners) have no way to know whether or not you are where you say you are.
You are in the belief that because it is difficult for the FCC and the National Broadcasters to determining violations of the SHIVA, SHEVAR, and SHELA acts, makes it legal to do so. There are many illegal acts in life that are hard to catch, still illegal at the end of the day.

You are in the belief that because it is difficult for the FCC and the National Broadcasters to determining violations of the SHIVA, SHEVAR, and SHELA acts, makes it legal to do so. There are many illegal acts in life that are hard to catch, still illegal at the end of the day.

tumblr_mtnpvnynfy1s0wmudo3_500.gif

Reactions: bobvick

Ever copy a CD or drive over the speed limit? Better not cross state lines with that beer either.

It's NOT illegal for the customer to give DISH or DirecTV a false address

It's NOT illegal for the customer to give DISH or DirecTV a false address

Yeah you've got a good point, it would be in violation of their (DTV or Dish) agreements with the broadcast stations and networks. :) Still wouldn't be "breaking the law" per say, just violation of a contractual agreement.

It is still not a "law." Fraud as in "deception or misleading, or an act of trickery" yes.
Unless someone wanted to spin it as stealing. As in your are stealing the amount of money that would have been provided, if it weren't for your act of fraud. It's far fetched. It will never ever be filed, just pointing out what some could argue.

Unless someone wanted to spin it as stealing. As in your are stealing the amount of money that would have been provided, if it weren't for your act of fraud. It's far fetched. It will never ever be filed, just pointing out what some could argue.
Except you are paying for everything you are receiving so you are not stealing from anybody.

The locals you are suppose to be getting isn't getting paid, so you would be stealing from them. And then they would also have lower ratings, so you could be stealing their ad dollars. Not stealing from the provider, but the channel owner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts