Physical address change to get different local channels on Dish Network

Unless you're in their designated market area. Now I am not saying that I agree with any of this, just an argument that could be made. Remember, I hate the FCC and DMA's.

I call total bs on any gps chip because of cost vs. So few who bother and Dish not caring. (Not the poster whoever told him) There is nothing illegal as in any law broken. Dish would care if you were Stacking only. Yes it probably is against the agreement. In fact Dish has made it easier than ever since not having Distants for rv and.truckers to just call them and give a location.

Reactions: TheKrell
The locals you are suppose to be getting isn't getting paid, so you would be stealing from them. And then they would also have lower ratings, so you could be stealing their ad dollars. Not stealing from the provider, but the channel owner.

Anyone that followed that logic had better start a campaign to confiscate all TV antennas. If I put up a tall antenna here I can get locals from Tupelo-Columbus, and Huntsville, even though I am counted in the Birmingham DMA.
By that logic, if I watched CBS on WCBI or WHNT rather than WIAT, I would be "stealing" from WIAT even though I can get Tupelo-Columbus CBS and Huntsville CBS as well as WIAT CBS Birmingham.

Well... there's real stealing, then there's stuff that can be called stealing because of the Byzantine, convoluted, special interest driven regulations that have grown into a mess over time like all regulations tend to do.

Need to have a group of intelligent, insightful legislators rewrite the whole thing...oh, wait... forgot no such creatures exist.

Reactions: bobvick
Hey, if extortion is allowed from the de-regulation of media ownership, then stealing should be allowed from other regulations.

My point being, it doesn't matter whether there is regulation or no regulation, people are going to try to take advantage of the system. At least regulation attempts to make it harder to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
I call total bs on any gps chip because of cost vs. So few who bother and Dish not caring. (Not the poster whoever told him) There is nothing illegal as in any law broken. Dish would care if you were Stacking only. Yes it probably is against the agreement. In fact Dish has made it easier than ever since not having Distants for rv and.truckers to just call them and give a location.

The source that told me about the GPS chip was the Dish tech at Solid Signal. Also the Dish cops have audit accounts for stacking issues. Now I did not ask about different DMAs vs location codes because this is a non issue for me. When I asked why my commercial account required a tech visit to replace receivers instead of mailing cards, they said that my current system was not compatible with the new packages. When the tech came out he wanted to remove one of my dishes and I said no because the EA has the high definition locals and WA and standard locals. If a heavy storm came in the two system dish would alway allow me to get locals He agreed we did the update. I asked him about the GPS and he stated yes they do. Again I see that one box by wireless connection pings to Dish. This was not there previously. The Internet ping gets through the locked modem since it is below the Windows security level of the modem. Again in my case the boxes never move so I am fine with that. Now if this is for DMAs or Stacking I don't know. But the set up is 3 boxes 3 TV's on a commercial account The package is the top 200 plus sports. Again only one box pings on the internet the other two do not.

The source that told me about the GPS chip was the Dish tech at Solid Signal. Also the Dish cops have audit accounts for stacking issues. Now I did not ask about different DMAs vs location codes because this is a non issue for me. When I asked why my commercial account required a tech visit to replace receivers instead of mailing cards, they said that my current system was not compatible with the new packages. When the tech came out he wanted to remove one of my dishes and I said no because the EA has the high definition locals and WA and standard locals. If a heavy storm came in the two system dish would alway allow me to get locals He agreed we did the update. I asked him about the GPS and he stated yes they do. Again I see that one box by wireless connection pings to Dish. This was not there previously. The Internet ping gets through the locked modem since it is below the Windows security level of the modem. Again in my case the boxes never move so I am fine with that. Now if this is for DMAs or Stacking I don't know. But the set up is 3 boxes 3 TV's on a commercial account The package is the top 200 plus sports. Again only one box pings on the internet the other two do not.

Were you already on the eastern arc? If so, I don't see why they would have had to change any equipment. Anything that works with EA should be current and work with any new smart cards.

Were you already on the eastern arc? If so, I don't see why they would have had to change any equipment. Anything that works with EA should be current and work with any new smart cards.

Yes instead of swapping cards they replaced all of the receivers. I owned the originals and the new ones they brought out. That was the agreement.
Again the only difference is one of the three has a wireless modem built in that pings on my internet. All of the slots for Internet hookup are vacant on all three receivers. I can not complain because everything is working great

Yes instead of swapping cards they replaced all of the receivers. I owned the originals and the new ones they brought out. That was the agreement.
Again the only difference is one of the three has a wireless modem built in that pings on my internet. All of the slots for Internet hookup are vacant on all three receivers. I can not complain because everything is working great

What model receiver is it? What model did they replace?

I had posted earlier that putting GPS receivers in the LNB is something that BOTH providers if they could do it in the next few years, likely no. It was a quick theory but it would cost them a ton of money and guess what, higher bills. If anything it's is the RSN's enforcing sports blackouts . I believe the NFL no longer blacks out the games on CBS/FOX even though the game is not sold out asen the crappy teams sell out. Dish or Direct don't give a hoot as long as you pay your bill on time.
Does Dish even offer DNS networks anymore?.

The only real issue of "moving" is when a box breaks or you need a new remote they want to roll a truck. What a waste of money, just mail the damn access card, the new or replacement receiver and return box if they want it back. You would have to convince them to mail it to your billing address. Back in the day I needed them to send a box when removing a receiver from my account. I explicitly told the DirectTV CSR to mail it to my billing address, but of course it went to my "service" address which was phoney. The UPS guy was very confused but I told the UPS where to send it to my billing address which UPS did. Once Direct wanted to do a truck roll for a stupid remote replacement!, but I convinced them to send it to my billing address which they did. They always promote the movers special with the Genie but I told them I don't need a receiver system to watch 5 or more programs. Told them that's way too much TV and was happy with my current setup.

If you can find a significantly viewed DMA that gives you a 2nd set of locals the hell yes go for it!. Comes in very handy when one is pre-empting network programming (Google WRTV interrupting Bachelor in Paradise due to tornado warnings, viewers were livid that show did not air) so you can get your second set or locals for net programming just in case. If you can your real locals OTA and don't have an AM21 or older receiver to record them, just another DMA is all that is required and that they are in the spotbeam for your area. Real nice if your favorite NFL team is carried on the 2nd set of locals, who needs NFL Ticket. Do research and when you make the change, it will reward you with better locals especially if yours are crap!. I did and it has come in handy quite a few times. I am so in favor of "moving" and unless the NAB wants a total crackdown on this practice which the sat companies will not go for, then screw the NAB and do the "move"!.

I always change my service address back to my billing address before dealing with any equipment or shipping possibilities. No chance of a mishap.

The only exception is this past month where I allowed my new G4 smart card to be shipped to my service address (parents), as I was visiting them the following week.

I always change my service address back to my billing address before dealing with any equipment or shipping possibilities. No chance of a mishap.

The only exception is this past month where I allowed my new G4 smart card to be shipped to my service address (parents), as I was visiting them the following week.

I was had in the back of my mind that they would be suspicious. I told them my service is at my other address and go to my billing address to get special packages that cannot be sent to my fake service addy. They seem to have bought it.

Yeah, but a truck roll will always go to the service address. No exceptions.

If I ever get questioned on why I'm changing my address, I just say I'm taking care of a sick parent and won't know how long I'll be there. It also helps that I only have one receiver.

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
A person can just purchase a new receiver themselves and change it over. I have a 211k. New they are $99 the last time I checked. So no big deal. The insurance is 20 months equals the $100. But if a person has Hoppers, I do not know if they can be purchased.

I tried changing my address to one in the Pacific Time Zone so I could watch local games earlier in the day.... it didn't work. :(

Reactions: Tampa8
A person can just purchase a new receiver themselves and change it over. I have a 211k. New they are $99 the last time I checked. So no big deal. The insurance is 20 months equals the $100. But if a person has Hoppers, I do not know if they can be purchased.
Hoppers can be bought.
As well as all Joeys.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

This was before I moved but I when I asked them why do you need to send a truck to replace a remote that probably cost them $5.00 to make?. Dead silence for a couple of seconds, then we will mail it out. I don't think it's an official policy or a mis-informed CSR. Only had them come out once is to install the 5 LNB slimline dish, which later I replaced with a 3 LNB one and peaked myself and connect the new HD DVR's and HD receivers only. If I had a major catastrophe then I would have to move back if things can't be shipped to and back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts