Picked up some dishes today

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markbone100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
IL
Finally got the OK to grab onto these. Been looking at them for months and it finally was pushed through :)

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

The larger one is a 4ft dish, all are fiberglass. The dual LNB is pice though, not sure if its both for the same sat or if its for 2 degree separation. Never seen one like that before on a channel master dish. As you can see, all LNB's have V and H polarity outputs, but the 4ft has its LNB missing.

I put in a request to grab more when available :)

And I officially dont like the photo uploader on these boards, too clunky and wouldnt work

Nice score. Congrats.
The support arm on the 84e doesn't seem to match the mold on the dish like the one on the smaller (75e?) dish. But if it works.........
Were there any markings on the back of the larger one?

Nice haul. Great dishes 'n LNBs.
Stogie5150 had some dual LNB Primestars, one time.
He can tell you more about 'em.

Primestar / ChannelMaster dish info:
size, width x height
1.2m = 48x52 round
1.0m = 40x43 round
84e is 40x30
75e is 37x27 arm: 21"
70e ?? 35x21 Hughes
60e is 32x20

Last edited:
Didnt see a mold stamp on the larger one. The place where it should of been is smooth so might of been a sticker there at one time.

For the request thing......guess you can call it a company perk. It was a small headend that has been deactivated. There is a 12 or a 14ft aluminum smooth panel dish still there, the other two have been dismantled and trucked off. Seen one somewhere that had two actuators....one for east-west and the other for elevation. Talk about getting it dialed in. That might of been a 14 footer

For the two feedhorn setup, looks like it might be for 6 degree separation. Wonder if I could get it to 4 degrees for 97 and 101W

Last edited:
The dual MAY be a HITS dish. Some cable companies (Charter was one of them) used the Cm/Primestar dishes to supplement their cable offerings for a time. Mine came from a local Charter office, I had a connection there and they had a 40 yard garbage dumpster FULL of the dishes. Damn shame to see them thrown away, but thats what happened.

Nice haul BTW. :D

how sharp is it ?

People who are bandwidth challenged (or otherwise annoyed by large pictures) appreciate the thumbnails that the forum upload software supports.
And, it's only awkward the first time; after that, it's pretty simple.

Anyway, placing large pictures in-line is considered ... well, let's just say it's discouraged. ;)
I had trouble scrolling through the pictures myself.
ALSO, the resultant pictures above were not sufficiently large and sharp to zoom in on and see minute details.

While some go nuts loading 4000x4000 pictures directly out of their camera, the mid-sized, sharp-imaged 1500x- or 2000x- pictures are excellent for zooming in on.
A sharp image is really the best revenge. - :up

People who are bandwidth challenged (or otherwise annoyed by large pictures) appreciate the thumbnails that the forum upload software supports.
And, it's only awkward the first time; after that, it's pretty simple.

Anyway, placing large pictures in-line is considered ... well, let's just say it's discouraged. ;)
I had trouble scrolling through the pictures myself.
ALSO, the resultant pictures above were not sufficiently large and sharp to zoom in on and see minute details.

While some go nuts loading 4000x4000 pictures directly out of their camera, the mid-sized, sharp-imaged 1500x- or 2000x- pictures are excellent for zooming in on.
A sharp image is really the best revenge. - :up

The pictures that Mark put up are only 800X600. (right click on his picture / properties)
The ones I have put up in the past thru photo bucket are usually only 640X480.
I wouldn't think they would be much trouble even to a dial up.

Last edited:
I would of put in thumbnails but honestly I dont know how to on this board setup. I tried using the built in picture tool on the boards and all it would do is lock up and not display. f there is some coding that I am missing to create thumbnails im more then happy to learn how to do it.

Back to the dishes....I did get them from Charter. Never really asked about the Hits system but there is a lengthy manual on Hits operation there. Too bad the wife wont let me have a 14ft headend dish in the backyard, but it sure would look pretty there in the fall with colorful trees in the background and a nice blue evening sky. Would like to use the 4 foot dish for 97 and 101 but need to get a double lnb for it. Since the one I seen doesnt work with a 22K switch it would have to either be on the "0" side of the switch or wait and see if I can get two linear LNB's for 97 and 101 that would work on the 22K side of a switch. Need to get me a switch and eventually an HD FTA receiver but I might have a very tough time explaining to the missus on things suddenly appearing in the mail, like a $100+ receiver she didnt know was ordered :)

I have a dual lnb 84e for HITS and it is a 6 degree separation. I feed the four outputs into a 4x4 multiswitch and use two of the 4 outputs to go to into a couple of 4x1 switches (1 for each for a couple of receivers).
I like the feeds so I am aimed at 85 and 91. I have two other 84e's that are single lnb's with dual outputs and use another 4x4 to feed into the 4x1's for the receivers.
In short you hit a gold mine of fta possibilities. Congrats.

. As you can see, all LNB's have V and H polarity outputs, but the 4ft has its LNB missing.

It is interesting to see there exists dual polarity beer can style LNBs as all I have seen in my neighborhood are single polarity beer cans. It is a pity your 4 footer is missing the bottom half of the LNB. That feedhorn and lnb is very finely tuned for that dish. No normal, off the shelf, LNB will ever achieve the same results as the original type designed for that dish.

It is interesting to see there exists dual polarity beer can style LNBs as all I have seen in my neighborhood are single polarity beer cans...

Nice score there, markbone!

guacharaca, I may be misunderstanding you but, the LNBFs that markbone has pictured (with 2 outputs, H & V) are actually referred to as single-polarity, while the beercans with only one output are dual-polarity, that is, they are capable of voltage-controlled switching.

With the separate H & V outputs you can run into a multiswitch and feed multiple receivers, while the single-output can only feed one receiver, but you gain voltage-controlled switching

Around here the 2-output (single-polarity) are much more common, I have only found one that has the single (dual-polarity output).

With the separate H & V outputs you can run into a multiswitch and feed multiple receivers, the single output can only feed one receiver, but you gain voltage-controlled switching

If anyone has one/a few of the dual-LNBF holders for the P* 84Es, I would be interested in trading for or buying them. I have an idea for an all-Primestar Ku multi-dish array, and some of those holders would cut the required number of dishes down nicely. :)

This weekend I will mess with the 4ft one with a spare lnbf and see what happens. Never know unless I give it a fighting chance :) The others I have to think about where they will go. 101 is indeed a possibility with 125 a close second.

But then there is college BB coming up late fall too....

guacharaca, I may be misunderstanding you but, the LNBFs that markbone has pictured (with 2 outputs, H & V) are actually referred to as single-polarity, while the beercans with only one output are dual-polarity, that is, they are capable of voltage-controlled switching.

With the separate H & V outputs you can run into a multiswitch and feed multiple receivers, while the single-output can only feed one receiver, but you gain voltage-controlled switching

Ah yes, Thanks for the terminology. I thought dual polarity referred to the LNB as a whole as opposed to each output. The one I have on the roof is a single output, non switchable, single polarity. Now saying that, mine could be broken and stuck on one polarity and I have erroneously made the assumption that all others are the same.

Markbone: if you can receive S2 signals, go for 125W or 103 W with the 4 foot. That larger elliptical dish would be plenty for 101 even with rain fade.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)