Pico Macom PCM55

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
Has anyone used (or know if it can be used) the Pico Macom PCM55 audio/video modulator with an FTA system.

This was given to me, and I think it is supposed to convert AC3 audio, combine it with video, and output it through coax. The only problem is that the audio input is a standard F coax plug rather than RCA.

Attachments

• pcm55.JPG
    pcm55.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 205
Not sure if it can convert AC-3, but it should work as a modulator. As for the F-fitting being used for video, this is common on professional modulators. The idea is that the F-fitting won't pull out when the unit is pulled out of a rack for servicing, although I don't know why they don't use BNC instead. In any case, its easy to adapt the F-fitting to RCA, BNC, or whatever you want. Radio Shack has the adapters...

Not sure if it can convert AC-3, but it should work as a modulator. As for the F-fitting being used for video, this is common on professional modulators. The idea is that the F-fitting won't pull out when the unit is pulled out of a rack for servicing, although I don't know why they don't use BNC instead. In any case, its easy to adapt the F-fitting to RCA, BNC, or whatever you want. Radio Shack has the adapters...
From what I've read, F connectors were designed to be cheap.
And in a "headend" like that any good tech would already have his F connectors on him. (Shows what I know :p :rolleyes:)

So tell me, why change the connector to something like BNC needed when you have someone who knows F-connectors and can install it properly?

Yes I know BNC is a better connector, but with "cable" guys,
why should they need to carry BNC connectors for something special at the rack
=versus=
1. Using something that works well
2. That the technicians (the end-user) already know
3. That the technicians already carry
4. and works at the frequency that they are going to be using

Most pro gear uses BNC for video connections, and F for RF connections. It is true that F-fittings are FAR cheaper than BNC (I pay about a dollar apiece for compression BNC, versus maybe 15-25 cents each for F). Either way, they are both 75 ohm connectors.

Most pro gear uses BNC for video connections, and F for RF connections. It is true that F-fittings are FAR cheaper than BNC (I pay about a dollar apiece for compression BNC, versus maybe 15-25 cents each for F). Either way, they are both 75 ohm connectors.

I thought that BNC connectors were usually used on 50 ohm cable, like RG52. I doubt that the connector has much affect, and that the cable is what counts most, but most everything I have that uses BNC is 50 ohm, not 75, but I've used RS adapters to go both ways, ie BNC to F, and F to BNC, and never noticed any affects. I just looked at a Wikopedia entry, and it says that now there are also 75 ohm varieties too, so I'll have to look at my BNC connectors to see if I happen to have picked up any of the 75 ohm variety.

EDIT: Off topic, but related to using BNCs for video... I just recently threw away a working monitor that used a cable that terminated in half a dozen or so BNC connectors, ie for signal, different colors, sync pulses, etc, etc. I can't remember the deal exactly, but I wasn't able to use the monitor with any of my PCs, although I think I was able to use it with an old MAC once, but since I never used the MAC, I ended up throwing it away, after the state made it illegal to throw away monitors in the trash anymore.... I think I threw away over a half ton of TVs and monitors, a couple days before the disposal deadline.
But that was a neat monitor. Wish I could have figured out how to use it with my PCs.

Oh, almost forgot. The reason I even read this thread was that the name MACOM rang a bell in my aging brain... Wasn't that the company that originally made the VCII before GI took it over, and after they wrested it away from Oak-Orion, or whatever it was called.

I think I still have a MACOM VCII module in a Channel Master cage out in my garage. Wonder if it's the same company?

Or maybe I'm confusing MACOM with something else.

bj that's it, MACOM.
Name from the olden times lol.
Thanks. I thought that sounded familiar.

I remember that Oak industries had a big lawsuit against MACOM. I think the Canadians used the Oak system at the time. I thought that Oak was going to win the suit, so I bought Oak stock, but I think they went out of business. I think GI bought out MACOM, and they had better lawyers.

Has anyone used (or know if it can be used) the Pico Macom PCM55 audio/video modulator with an FTA system.

This was given to me, and I think it is supposed to convert AC3 audio, combine it with video, and output it through coax. The only problem is that the audio input is a standard F coax plug rather than RCA.

I have work with Pico strip amps, an modulators an not a big fan of Pico, like BT Blonder Toung much better, but for free, an it works that great. also watch the caps in power supply in time will get a 60-cycle hum bar, an its a simple fix.

that is a fixed channel modulator with max output of 55db, which in a home that is a bunch, it is adjust able from 25 to 55db so when you set it up may want to attenuate the out put some, so have a hand full of attenuators handy an a good field strength meter when setting it up. now if any one has messed with the aural an the video mod really you need a scope to set them back right the video modulation is more forgiving than the aural is. an as far as ac3 noop.

now as far as the video input use a 75ohm coax with f-fitting on 1 end an crimp on a male rca on other end, this is common for pico products this way. they also made some frequency agail modulators that you can select you're out put channel but in you're picture is the fixed model.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts