Status
Please reply by conversation.

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
i was thinking why doesn't Directv have this technology for like sports? thanks

There is another thread on this.. but I do it by having a 42" LCD under my 106" FPTV; it beats ANY PiP hands down! All you need is an extra receiver and the line to feed it; easy as pie and well worth it. Plain old PiP is virtually dead.

During football season I actually do 3 sets; 2 42" LCDs under the FPTV and all the friends come over and we draw to see which games go on which TV

They would need to activate both tuners at one time.
That would cause other issues, like not having a tuner to Record with while watching something else.

Now if they had a tuner with say 4-5 tuners in it ....

Here is the image that gave me the idea; mine isn't near as fancy nor permanent.

Attachments

• Projector-Room1-1024x768.jpg
    Projector-Room1-1024x768.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 193
They would need to activate both tuners at one time.
That would cause other issues, like not having a tuner to Record with while watching something else.

Now if they had a tuner with say 4-5 tuners in it ....

i would think that would be given if you were watching 2 lines at once you wouldn't be able Record anything, do you think we will every see a box with 4-5 tuners in it?

i would think that would be given if you were watching 2 lines at once you wouldn't be able Record anything, do you think we will every see a box with 4-5 tuners in it?

Only if they are SMART !
However, I think they prefer at the moment to work with getting the MRV and the other stuff going solidly ... somewhere I heard about the H34, but haven't really had time to look into it to see what it does differently yet.

The HR34 is the 5 tuner receiver that will be the centerpiece of a whole-home solution. Essentially trying for one main HDDVR Receiver and all others essentially a dumb client, known as a remote viewing unit (RVU).

The HR34 is to have PIP, but only on the main TV that the HR34 is connected to. Timeline, probably six months or more till they start with HR34s.

The HR34 is the 5 tuner receiver that will be the centerpiece of a whole-home solution. Essentially trying for one main HDDVR Receiver and all others essentially a dumb client, known as a remote viewing unit (RVU).

The HR34 is to have PIP, but only on the main TV that the HR34 is connected to. Timeline, probably six months or more till they start with HR34s.

Can you have just one HR34 and use 5 tuners ?
1 for viewing and 4 for Recording ?
Can you use it with existing HR24's ?

Yes, 5 tuners however you want to use them, but any live viewing on an RVU would use one.

As for integration with existing HR2x, probably, but haven't heard anything yet. I would imagine it would combine playlists like it does with everything else today.

In a nutshell: because PiP sucks. It was an annoying fad feature of the late 90's that quietly died and went to wherever useless features go when they die (joining similar fad features such as 'strobe view' and 'twin pic').. Go to your favorite big box store and look at their tv wall.. Out of the entire selection, you MIGHT find ONE that has PiP. Most likely none of them will have it.

Last edited:
In a nutshell: because PiP sucks. It was an annoying fad feature of the late 90's that quietly died and went to wherever useless features go when they die

Actually it is one of the most useful features I miss from my E* DVRs.

The Red Sox are down 15-0...so I basically give up for the time being and tune into a show I really want to watch. I pull up the pip every 10 minutes or so when I know they are up to bat, to see if they are rallying. If it starts getting good, I pause and swap. Dish is way ahead with the dual tuner start/stop technology with integrated pip.

(Doubleplay is a joke.)

It is not "fad" tech. It is must have tech (that some people just need to learn how to use effectively.)

Most D* people I know that care enough, just get the extra box for their pip tvs...

In the end, the current advantages of D* outweigh my desire for pip, but it is one thing I'd love to have again.

It is not "fad" tech. It is must have tech (that some people just need to learn how to use effectively.)

Yes it was fad tech. Notice its conspicuous absence from nearly all current models, and its absence from nearly all provider's boxes. Nobody cares about it, which is why they don't bother with it. With the realtime score apps available for just about every smartphone, there's no reason to sacrifice a part of the picture to another channel. Oh, and double play works just fine. Just press pause before you press down.

Actually it is one of the most useful features I miss from my E* DVRs.

The Red Sox are down 15-0...so I basically give up for the time being and tune into a show I really want to watch. I pull up the pip every 10 minutes or so when I know they are up to bat, to see if they are rallying. If it starts getting good, I pause and swap. Dish is way ahead with the dual tuner start/stop technology with integrated pip.

(Doubleplay is a joke.)

Most D* people I know that care enough, just get the extra box for their pip tvs...

In the end, the current advantages of D* outweigh my desire for pip, but it is one thing I'd love to have again.

???

How about hitting the Record Button ?
Then you can stop and start all you want.

I guess I"m in the minority, but I have always been a PIP fan and miss having PIP on my newer TVs and equipment. If I had it I would definitely use it. I think the reason PIP enabled TVs are rare is because manufacturers look for every way possible to reduce production costs, and not installing a 2nd tuner is just another way to reduce those costs. Sort of like why the remotes that come with most TVs are crap- just another way to lower costs. Just because manufactures make crappy remotes doesn't necessarily mean I want a crappy remote.

I guess I"m in the minority, but I have always been a PIP fan and miss having PIP on my newer TVs and equipment. If I had it I would definitely use it. I think the reason PIP enabled TVs are rare is because manufacturers look for every way possible to reduce production costs, and not installing a 2nd tuner is just another way to reduce those costs. Sort of like why the remotes that come with most TVs are crap- just another way to lower costs. Just because manufactures make crappy remotes doesn't necessarily mean I want a crappy remote.

Not even close. Dual-tuner PiP was rare even back when PiP was a bullet-point worthy feature, and it was only found on high end TV's. For a majority of the TVs with PiP, you had to have an external source/tuner hooked up to an input besides the built in tuner in order to use it.

PiP is 100% software, therefore it doesn't cost anything to implement.

With the realtime score apps available for just about every smartphone, there's no reason to sacrifice a part of the picture to another channel. Oh, and double play works just fine. Just press pause before you press down.

There are plenty of reasons. I switch during a commercial to news and when the game comes back on I just needed to hit swap. It was that easy (instead of randomly flipping back and forth.)

Also, when following two football games, I'd make them equal size and then zip off to the breaking action on one game while pushing the second game up in the corner and then a few seconds later I could swap back to the other game.

I used pip every single day.

Maybe it wasn't something that you used, but it is still a very useful feature. I'd much rather keep an eye on the game and watch another program on one big screen than watch a program while starring at my smartphone...

And yes, double play does work - it is just not intuitive nor as functional as the E* implementation (particularly because there is no pip.)

PiP is 100% software, therefore it doesn't cost anything to implement.

Windows 8 is 100% software, yet it is going to cost a billion dollars to implement. You point is moot as resources cost money, period.

But I do find it interesting you are waging a vendetta against something you don't use, care about and claim costs nothing...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)