Picture quality on NFL ST

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

spokybob

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Did anyone experience poor pq today? 704 - 715 were great. I tuned in the Bears/Lions on my local FOX 18. It was in HD Lite. I wheeled in my H24 and 26" tv from the other room for side by side. Poor on both. My H24 has the AM21 OTA receiver, so I tuned it to 18-1 and saw a perfect picture. I have never noticed poor pq with Directv locals before. Just today. Hmm.

I posted on another forum that I thought the picture quality for the Lions-Bears game was pretty weak, and that was on the Sunday Ticket feed. It seemed to stutter once in a while and "flip" between mediocre and poor quality.

My local games (Titans-Raiders, Panthers-Giants) looked better.

It will be blamed on the local provider.

there was a video issue with the colts game and it said "the provider has been contacted" as we could hear the audio but not see the video (I think this was the game) lol

It will be blamed on the local provider.

there was a video issue with the colts game and it said "the provider has been contacted" as we could hear the audio but not see the video (I think this was the game) lol

Interesting, why would you say the local was to blame ?

The OP stated that the OTA picture was great.

The only way to insure a perfect picture is to pick up the first generation C band master. Depending on the quality of your OTA channel (using an antenna) with compression vs sub channels would be the next best thing. Once the signal gets to Direct it get re butchered by Direct from its source. With Direct adding there own compression with the bandwidth they have available. Hence the term HD Lite.

HD lite is no better than a good SD signal looked for years on C band. All these HD services that compress should re brand their selves as SD Widescreen.

Did anyone experience poor pq today? 704 - 715 were great. I tuned in the Bears/Lions on my local FOX 18. It was in HD Lite. I wheeled in my H24 and 26" tv from the other room for side by side. Poor on both. My H24 has the AM21 OTA receiver, so I tuned it to 18-1 and saw a perfect picture. I have never noticed poor pq with Directv locals before. Just today. Hmm.

first thing ... your local over the air will always be better ...because you are picking up your own raw signal & processing it where you are ... the sat signal is processed & sent 23,000 miles up & processed & sent 23,000 miles back & processed again.... not to say that it might have been better at another time before....

first thing ... your local over the air will always be better ...because you are picking up your own raw signal & processing it where you are

That is true only if your local channel don't compress it to death with too many sub channels. Our ABC affiliate in town runs 2 HD channels and one SD. Since they ran out of bandwidth adding the second HD they killed the quality so bad to the main HD channel that it macro blocks like crazy.

Talking about raw (master) signals, here are a few nice screen caps I did from C band:

The C Band HD Master Page

That is true only if your local channel don't compress it to death with too many sub channels. Our ABC affiliate in town runs 2 HD channels and one SD. Since they ran out of bandwidth adding the second HD they killed the quality so bad to the main HD channel that it macro blocks like crazy.

Talking about raw (master) signals, here are a few nice screen caps I did from C band:

The C Band HD Master Page
Those pics don't look pretty bad

I saw a little yesterday and it was perfect as usual. My experience in the past with ST has always been excellent with high pq

I started off watching the Packers & Eagles game in the 700s. Picture quality was excellent and in HD. Then the game got bounced to the local channel, which is normally HD. ...but the game was definitely not HD.

I watched/recorded Bears/Lions it on my Local Fox 9 affiliate and it looked fine. What I dont get is how do people view in the 700's than switch to local. In my case at Noon my local CBS had Pats/Bengals and Lions/Bears on Fox. Both of those games were blacked out on there 700's series number(other than Grumbles69 comment of the game switch by fox).

Unrelated Food Network yesterday looked like it was upscaling the SD picture. Many shows looked like garbage and the normal FOOD HD icon they put in the lower right said only "Food Newtwork"

They were blacked out because your local area was carrying what they consider a local game for you on your local station . That is my guess if I understood your question right .

I watched/recorded Bears/Lions it on my Local Fox 9 affiliate and it looked fine. What I dont get is how do people view in the 700's than switch to local. In my case at Noon my local CBS had Pats/Bengals and Lions/Bears on Fox. Both of those games were blacked out on there 700's series number(other than Grumbles69 comment of the game switch by fox).

Unrelated Food Network yesterday looked like it was upscaling the SD picture. Many shows looked like garbage and the normal FOOD HD icon they put in the lower right said only "Food Newtwork"

Food does do some up-conversion / stretch-o-vision a' la TBS; not all their shows are produced in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts