Picture quality questions

karl9000

Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
I've had Voom for about 10 months now. Lately, I've noticed a lot of PQ issues that are bugging me. :mad:

First off, the HD side. I'm getting a lot of pixelation (blockiness? :confused: ) on HD movies. Mostly, I notice it in action movies with explosions, but I can also see it on movies that have a lot of light/dark contrast. For example, my wife was watching Bad Boys II last night, and the bar scene with the Ecstacy was just awful. And bright scenes with lot's of action seem to produce the same problems. It makes viewing HD painful... :(

Oh, my TV is a Panasonic 52" rear projection. I've tried both the component video and the DVI/HDMI connections, and I get the same sad results. (I spent $120 on the *#^$%^ DVI/HDMI cable and it didn't help at all... :mad: )I've got the STB putting out 1080i, and the TV is rated for that input. BTW, I don't have any similar problems when looking at DVDs so doubt it's the TV.

On the SD side, I don't get pixelation that I can tell, but the overall PQ basically sucks. It's almost like there is an inherent color "film" over the entire picture. For example, in the Harry Potter movies, there seems to be a green/brown film or haze that doesn't go away. Again, I see it Mostly on the dark or low light scenes. :no

Is this a Voom thing? Is it something with my TV?

When I had the system first installed with the 18" dish, the signal strength was at best a 75. I was getting a lot of picture breakup so, on my own, I purchased a 24 inch dish. Of course, it didn't help that the idiot installer placed the dish so it had to look through some trees down the road. :rolleyes: So when I switched to the 24 " dish, I moved it to a higher point on my house (difficult with a ranch-style house :D ) and made sure it cleared the trees. That at least boosted the signal to a 99 and fixed most of the problems, though that's a subjective opinion. But lately (the past few months), I've really noticed the problems described above).

I've purchased a signal meter to re-peak the dish, and as soon as the weather cooperates (snow), I'm going to see what I can do. I was hoping to get some more opinions from you experts out there if you have similar PQ issues, or if it's just my set up.

I could sure use some help! :confused:

Karl

I know exactly what you're talking about and I dont think it has anything to do with your system components or cables. My guess is that these are artifacts caused by poor encoding of the HD signal or excessive digital compression during broadcasting. It will probably vary from channel to channel and unfortunately there's not much you can do about it. Its definitely more noticeable during certain fast action scenes. Check out "Torque" during the motorcycle chase through the woods and you'll notice the exact same thing...mass pixelation! We need higher bitrates!

Whew, I'm glad it wasn't just my STB. I dreaded having to go the customer service route for a replacement. Thanks for the reply.

Guess we're going to have to see what the Big Dogs do about the future of Voom. I'd hate to see it go, and I hate the idea of having to go back to Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts