Picture Wont stretch

Videofx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
My 4:3 pciture wont stretch to 16:9 even though I went into receivers Systems Settings / 1. Picture Format - I have tried all options and nothing works.

Any ideas?

Bill

That sucks

My dish 6000 does. I hate the gray bars on each side of the picture and I want the picture to fill the screen. Motorola should have designed the receiver to do this.

Bill

I have seen this as well on hi def 4:3 broadcasts, but I'm not 100% convinced that a 4:3 hi def broadcast is actually being transmitted IN a 4:3 aspect ratio. I think the pillar box is being transmitted with the picture so the receiver interprets it as being 16:9 and thereby doesn't stretch it.

My SD broadcasts are all stretched though.

One thing that I have noticed is that with some hi def broadcasts part of the picture is off my screen. This is noticeable when there is a phone number at the bottom, and only half of the number is visible. I don't know if that's just me or common to everyone.

(I love watching my cats watch hi def discovery .. it's like the RCA dogs)

dledeaux said:
One thing that I have noticed is that with some hi def broadcasts part of the picture is off my screen. This is noticeable when there is a phone number at the bottom, and only half of the number is visible. I don't know if that's just me or common to everyone.

I haven't seen this one. Can you provide a picture of it?

Are you talking about all standard def channels or just the OTA ones. OTA channels are broadcast with the pillars and theres nothing you can do about it. The cable favorite channels should fill the screen as long as you have selected stretch in the format menu. If all of that is correct you need to get your box swapped out. Quick question, are you using a 4:3 tv or a widescreen 16:9? Either way if the above is correct you need a new box I was just wondering.
Justin

If you have a 4:3 hdtv like me you may have noticed the problem in my illustration. If so any advice on how to fix this would be great, Voom and my installer doesnt know, just had a service call today because of the standard def pixelation, bascially he said sorry and left after checking my signal. Thanks for the help.
Justin

Attachments

• tv formats.JPG
    tv formats.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 134
Will try again tonight

I have a 60" 16:9 HDTV When watching SD I have the pillars and just want to stretch to fill the screen.

I have the problem on both Voom receivers.

I will test again tonight on different channels and let you know.

Bill

My toshiba 57H83 wont let me use strectch modes, as the signal is in 1080i. U can set the voom box settings to stretch mode but it is not as good as toshiba's stretch modes.

Check this threadlinkified

I have a 60" 16:9 HDTV When watching SD I have the pillars and just want to stretch to fill the screen.
The pillars are part of the picture signal. A few receivers like the 6000 allow one to crop off these pillars in 16:9 mode, but the vast majority of boxes (DirecTV and cable) do not offer this feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts