Let me ask a question--concerning stretch mode

Ferdy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
Broussard, LA USA
I have 2 stb's----one connected to a 16:9 HDTV and the other connected to a 4:3 SDTV---

On my OTA channels some broadcast in stretched mode (non-high def programming) and some not. Of course, the HDTV shows black/gray bars on either side of the screen when receiving broadcasts in non-stretched mode. But, my SDTV shows them, too---why? Shouldn't the 4:3 SDTV not have the sidebars since that would be native to the set?

I have my settings in the STB set to "stretch" and "squeeze".

It seems that the SDTV would not have the side bars------

This usually happens on HD channels showing SD programs. The side bars are part of the HD picture...

Ilya said:
This usually happens on HD channels showing SD programs. The side bars are part of the HD picture...
Yes but you can eliminate them on the already outdated hughes e86 reciever. SO why not with voom's new reciever?

Ilya said:

Yes, but we're not talking about an HD picture---we're talking about a SD picture OTA---

Again, why would there be side bars on a SD set?

Ferdy said:
Yes, but we're not talking about an HD picture---we're talking about a SD picture OTA---

Again, why would there be side bars on a SD set?
You see, it's not actually SD, it's an upconverted SD. The program is SD, but the channel is HD. The broadcaster is upconverting it from SD to HD and adding the side bars. So, from the point of view of the box, this is a 16:9 HD picture and it sends the entire 16:9 image to your SD set as well, including the side bars. Switch to ESPN-HD that has more artistic side bars and you will see what I am talking about.

Of course it would be nice if the STB had zoom modes for HD channels, no question about it.

Didn't realize they upconverted---so that explains it.

I sure hope this software update addresses this, but from I've read here, it doesn't :(

the only option I've seen to get arount this is set the Wide to Narrow to CROP. This will chop off the sidebars, and will keep the aspect ratio for the 4:3 program correct. BUT, the overlays are not rescaled properly (at least on this version of the software) so that the left and right areas of the program guide are cropped off as well. Also, when watching SD programs, it will crop off the edges. I wish there was a quicker way to switch between CROP and LETTERBOX modes, that way we could switch on the fly depending on the program we are watching. Even if they had a discrete IR code for this, so we could at least use a specialized remote for it, since there is no button on the VOOM remote for it.

I have a similar issue when viewing material on my 4:3 SDTV. However, No matter what I choose for picture settings, the picture is squeezed onto the 4:3 set. In other words, everyone looks tall and thin. unless it is an actual SD program, then it looks right. The Today show has black bars on the side and everyone is squeezed in. I've tried setting it to Crop and letterbox and nothing changes. Any ideas?

On your 4:3 set you must also make sure it is set for "Auto" mode for the resolution. I found that mine was vertically stretched unless it was set for Auto. My Crop works if I want to eliminate side or bottom black bars on my 4:3 set.

You are referring to the little red button correct? I'll try that. I have it set for 480i now (bottom light lit). I'll try the auto mode (all lights lit).

Thanks.

Thanks a lot. Changing the display resolution to automatic (all 4 lights lit) did the trick. I can now use letterbox or crop for 16:9 material on my 4:3 SDTV.

Thanks again!

CraziFuzzy said:
I wish there was a quicker way to switch between CROP and LETTERBOX modes, that way we could switch on the fly depending on the program we are watching.

Guys, can you please tell me where in the menu this crop option is? I have only see where you can set the zoom for the 16:9 and 4:3 sources. Perhaps I have to select 4:3 first? My plasma gets pretty bad ghosting from the sidebars on 4:3 letterboxed 16:9 Digital OTA transmissions, and this may be a solution. Thanks.

E. J.

ejfiii said:
Guys, can you please tell me where in the menu this crop option is? I have only see where you can set the zoom for the 16:9 and 4:3 sources. Perhaps I have to select 4:3 first? My plasma gets pretty bad ghosting from the sidebars on 4:3 letterboxed 16:9 Digital OTA transmissions, and this may be a solution. Thanks.

E. J.
It only works with the S-Video or Composite outputs going to a 4:3 set. It's in the setup menu under Video Options or something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts