Pictures of Joey 3.0?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
a Lot of problems would be fixed if dish put some memory on the joeys for local buffering. Even if it was just a memory card reader. Put 32 gigs on that bad boy. BOOM 4 days of buffer (that’s a joke on their over compression). But seriously, it wouldn’t be so bad if the hopper acted as a ”streaming server” and sent the video feed and have the player act as a streaming box. If it works for Netflix, which relies on your internet, it should work in your house where there’s local network, be it your internet or moca.

a Lot of problems would be fixed if dish put some memory on the joeys for local buffering. Even if it was just a memory card reader. Put 32 gigs on that bad boy. BOOM 4 days of buffer (that’s a joke on their over compression). But seriously, it wouldn’t be so bad if the hopper acted as a ”streaming server” and sent the video feed and have the player act as a streaming box. If it works for Netflix, which relies on your internet, it should work in your house where there’s local network, be it your internet or moca.
Now if only they could integrate a Joey with a Wally. Then, there would be a two-room integrated solution with no monthly DVR fee. That would really kick butt.

That's not how a terminal works. It only passes on to video and audio out that which is sent to it by the Hopper, it is a dumb terminal.

The buffering problems are not in the Joey, they are in the Hopper and the MOCA network.

That's why rebooting the Joey does nothing and rebooting the Hopper temporarily fixes the problems.

Y'all barking up the wrong teee.

Reactions: HipKat
That's not how a terminal works. It only passes on to video and audio out that which is sent to it by the Hopper, it is a dumb terminal.

The buffering problems are not in the Joey, they are in the Hopper and the MOCA network.

That's why rebooting the Joey does nothing and rebooting the Hopper temporarily fixes the problems.

Y'all barking up the wrong teee.

I dont think I ever said that’s how it works... I was only suggesting that if dish integrated memory on the joeys they could take care of the buffering rather than relying on the hopper to do everything.

Reactions: pattykay

Now, if only Dish could introduce a bug that would automatically cause the Hopper to reboot often enough that Joey users would never even see the problem in the first place. :biggrin

I dont think I ever said that’s how it works... I was only suggesting that if dish integrated memory on the joeys they could take care of the buffering rather than relying on the hopper to do everything.
But you would need the Joey to be a smart terminal to add memory. Dumb terminals are simply end devices to pass a signal. You can't add memory to nothing. Consider it this way, your computer sends a video signal to your monitor. Do you think you can somehow add memory to your monitor to do trick play. No you can't because everything is done by the computer and the monitor is passive.

But you would need the Joey to be a smart terminal to add memory. Dumb terminals are simply end devices to pass a signal. You can't add memory to nothing. Consider it this way, your computer sends a video signal to your monitor. Do you think you can somehow add memory to your monitor to do trick play. No you can't because everything is done by the computer and the monitor is passive.

Okay, why is it so bad for a terminal to have some memory for buffering? It doesn’t take a super computer to do trick play, as you call it. Two, since when do “passive” terminals have codec support? It says so right on the picture. ”support for high efficiency codec” a codec which is used for 4K video. And also, how do you think Netflix works on the joeys? If they were just a “dumb video terminal” what’s to stop the hopper from just passing along amazon prime video?

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
Okay, why is it so bad for a terminal to have some memory for buffering? It doesn’t take a super computer to do trick play, as you call it. Two, since when do “passive” terminals have codec support? It says so right on the picture. ”support for high efficiency codec” a codec which is used for 4K video. And also, how do you think Netflix works on the joeys? If they were just a “dumb video terminal” what’s to stop the hopper from just passing along amazon prime video?
Amazon isn't on the Joey because Amazon doesn't want it there. Netflix is there because Netflix is OK with it being there. Actually none of it is there on the Joey, it is passed by the Hopper. If you shout off your Hopper there is nothing on the Joey.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Amazon isn't on the Joey because Amazon doesn't want it there. Netflix is there because Netflix is OK with it being there. Actually none of it is there on the Joey, it is passed by the Hopper. If you shout off your Hopper there is nothing on the Joey.
Well that’s funny, because if I wanted to play prime video on my dumb terminal monitor I could without some abitrary argument about how it shouldn’t be able to have memory for the sole purpose of locally managing playback. I get what you’re saying but there’s no reason why the joeys shouldn't get that functionality. Specially if it takea that load off the hopper.

Well that’s funny, because if I wanted to play prime video on my dumb terminal monitor I could without some abitrary argument about how it shouldn’t be able to have memory for the sole purpose of locally managing playback. I get what you’re saying but there’s no reason why the joeys shouldn't get that functionality. Specially if it takea that load off the hopper.
Nope... Amazon wants the experience to be the same on all devices, and the Joeys can not handle the type of Dolby Digital that Amazon requires.

With that said I do that DISH has been trying to talk Amazon down off that stance because people with Joeys want to use their Amazon Prime service.

Ultimately I believe it will be Amazon's decision.

Well, specifically, the 4K Joey would need to be able to handle the 4K codec, since the 4K Joey is also compatible with models of Hopper that cannot handle or display 4K natively on their own.

Nope... Amazon wants the experience to be the same on all devices...
...and as a result, they are only available on one device, the Hopper 3. Now, it is just a matter of getting every Dish customer to use a Hopper 3 at every TV. You will be assimilated... :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts