Pieces & parts of OTA - which components to buy?

PWP

Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Hi!

I've cruised the messages & find nothing that solves my problem of how to split an OTA to 2 tv's & retain signal quality. I'm a regular lurker & have learned a lot in these forums.

I have an Antenna Direct DB4 & get 70% signals which produces an excellent picture. I live 35 miles from antenna farm.

I've added a LG STB & split the OTA RG6 line to this TV. I've used several splitters (Lowes, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc) with no signal passing to either tv. Recut the ends & added new connectors - no change.

I bought a 120db 2.3GHz 4-way splitter & I get 86% signal on every channel on the ASTC tuner when I really only have 5 available channels - what is this all about???

Then by chance I dug a Radio Shack "High-isolation" A/B switch (#15-1217) out of the box of stuff & wow - pictures to both tv's & even increased signals. BUT! I can only have 1 TV on OTA with the switch.

So, the question is: What brand component will split the signal without degradation? Do I need an amplifier? Again - what brand? I've cruised electronics store sites till my head spins...too many specs & I'm not sure what I'm really looking for.

Can anyone help me & point me to a reliable product & where to buy it?

Thanks so much!!!

Maybe the solution to my woes can help you out.

First, if you are using a dish and combining the OTA signal with a diplxer - DON'T. Run two separate lines.

I have to amplify my OTA signal as I live in a fringe area. Here's my simple setup:
ChannelMaster 3020 antenna > ChannelMaster 7777 preamplifier >RG6 to indoor 7777 powered amplifier >3-way splitter to Sat In - TV - FM Tuner.

Only run splitters AFTER the amplified signal.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Thanks for helping. I don't want to combine sat & OTA so I hadn't installed a diplexer.

Will any splitter work if there are amplifiers installed or is there a special brand of splitter that is best? Can you "indoor power amp" by itself or does it have to go with an exterior amp?

Thanks

Splitters reduce the amount of signal, and in areas where you have a weak signal every bit of signal loss hurts.

An amplified signal starts by adding a preamplifier to your outside antenna. The indoor amplifier powers the preamp and pulls this amplied signal through your amp to wherever you choose.

An amplified splitter boosts to existing signal that you have to help prevent loss but doesn't help the signal the antenna is receiving.

You may want to try one of your existing splitters after your Radio Shack "High-isolation" A/B switch. No money to spend there. If your existing signal is weak you may have to go the amplified route in order to get the desired result. Just remember - splitters after the amplified signal.

The 4-way splitter should work fine, but you must use 75 ohm terminators on the unused connections. Why did you buy a 4-way when you needed a 2-way?

I use the 2.3 GHz Zenith digital splitters sold at Lowes and experience no noticeable signal loss.

Whether the splitter is $2 or $200 you'll still lose 3 dB so get the $2 splitter, it makes no difference. What does make a difference is where you split. After the preamp is the only solution. Using the CM7777 is the best thing you can do.

Heres the situation - rural area with little or no resources to browse & compare & educate myself easily.
Local Lowes is a "small" store, so a very limited selection of "Ideal" brand. We bought the 4-way at Home Depot cause that is all they had.

I just traveled (on business) 3 hrs away to a larger Lowes store & just got the Zenith 2-way that I haven't tried yet. They didn't have the CM 7777 or much else, so I'm back to finding one. Any online vendors anyone can recommend?

I was curious -- when a amplifier says a 13db gain does that mean my signal will increase from 41 to 54? If the antenna says 12db gain does that add to the amplifier & signal total? Hmmm.....

Again, thanks for helping!

Your best bet is to go online and look for the items you need. Lowes/Home Depot type stores rarely have the better brands.

Check out solidsignal.com

The gain is indeed the amount the signal should increase - in a perfect world. Distance, trees, hills and other obstructions lessen this value.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts