Pilot On / Off setting

pitman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Lightning Capital
Trying to locate the Canadian feeds that were relocated to F3 @ 118.8W on 4020V and haven't been able to get a signal. My receiver has a Pilot on or pilot off setting for DVB-S2 which I never understood what it means or does. Does anyone else out there have a pilot setting on their receiver to get a DVB-S2 signal? I don't know if it should be on or off. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: a33
My osmio4k defaults to pilot off when using positioner setup. There's no setting for it on blind scan.

Hate to ask the obvious but did you try both off and on? I remember only having the frequency and symbol rate on my AZBox Elite and had to find the FEC. I ran through each FEC once with the pilot off and then with the pilot on until I got the signal. Good old trial and error.

Pilot is a parameter of a DVBS2 signal to optimize sync. If enabled in the downlinked signal, the receiver must be configured in order to decode.

In blind scan mode the pilot detection is automatic.

Here is an old archived post link that has a great definition. DVB S2 "Pilot" signal

My Rebox receiver has this setting also, so I'm trying to understand this, but have still some difficulty to do so.

Is this Pilot on/off a necessary setting for finding a frequency during scanning?
For getting a lock on that frequency?
Or for receiving the programs of that frequency?

So, I don't understand the consequences of the pilot setting, at various moments..

Greetz,
A33

My Rebox receiver has this setting also, so I'm trying to understand this, but have still some difficulty to do so.

Is this Pilot on/off a necessary setting for finding a frequency during scanning?
For getting a lock on that frequency?
Or for receiving the programs of that frequency?

So, I don't understand the consequences of the pilot setting, at various moments..

Greetz,
A33
As I understand it,if you are manually entering a transponder,you must set the pilot correctly to get a lock.If you are blind scanning, the receiver will detect it automatically.In either case the pilot must be set correctly to get a lock on a transponder where the pilot is used.

Reactions: Titanium
unfortunately I have not been able to hit it trying it both on and off. I'm searching for it so I'm not exactly sure that I'm not hitting it, I could be going by it and missing it. Is it supposed to be on or off for the 4020 freq on F3. I've been trying searching trying both with no luck, hoping to get this parameter to help my chances on locking it. Thanks to all

As I understand it,if you are manually entering a transponder,you must set the pilot correctly to get a lock.If you are blind scanning, the receiver will detect it automatically.In either case the pilot must be set correctly to get a lock on a transponder where the pilot is used.
I left mine in the default setting of off and locked onto the signal with no problem. I don't know what receiver the OP is using but I have an osmio4k and I went into Menu->Setup->Tuners&scanning->Positioner setup->Tune, set the parameters and then had the dish search west from 107W and it locked on.

So, with blind scanning, the receiver has no problem to cope with pilot on or pilot off;
but with a manual scan it has a problem and needs the correct input-setting pilot on/off?

Why would a receiver need that input, when with blind scan it can easily cope without any pilot on/off setting?

I fail to see any logic in it, so far. Is there an easy explanation? Does anyone know more about this?

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: primestar31
So, with blind scanning, the receiver has no problem to cope with pilot on or pilot off;
but with a manual scan it has a problem and needs the correct input-setting pilot on/off?

Why would a receiver need that input, when with blind scan it can easily cope without any pilot on/off setting?

I fail to see any logic in it, so far. Is there an easy explanation? Does anyone know more about this?

Greetz,
A33
I would assume that during a blind scan the receiver checks for all parameters of a signal to get a lock.
When you manually enter a transponder you have to supply the parameters for the receiver to find what you seek.

Reactions: Titanium
That's really odd, because my Mio is running TNAP 4.0, and on a MANUAL scan, Pilot is set to AUTO. Which to ME, means it'll sense whether it needs to turn ON or OFF while scanning...

If that feature works the way you describe it would certainly be a nice feature. Most receivers I've seen it needs to entered manually except when doing a blind scan since I haven't seen "auto" when doing manual scan. Good info, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts