Pioneer Elite VSX-45

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Decided I'm going to pick up the VSX-45 today. Decided to pick up this one as opposed to the Yamaha since it has 3 HDMI inputs that are HDCP 2.2 compliant. This will be useful when I pick up an UHD player later on. It's basic, but all I need for the bedroom. Will never be anywhere else.

Retail: $450
Features: 5.2 channels, Setup app, control app, wifi, Bluetooth, Spotify, Pandora, V Tuner, airplay, MCACC room correction, DLNA
Power: 80w x 5 @ 8 ohms

Will post more after I pick it up.

S~

Well. I picked one up from BB. Had rewards that had to be used today. A whole other story. Now I know why I don't shop at BB. But with the rewards, it was cheaper than cost. I'll probably set it up tomorrow.

S~

Reactions: dfergie
Setting it up ow. Easiest receiver I've ever set up. Literally plug and play. Nothing had to be done in the menu. Running firmware update now. Then I will run MCACC room correction. After that I'll see if the HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports actually work with the Sony FMP-10. Would like to run everything with 1 cable. HDMI out goes to HDMI 4 on the Sony which supports HDCP 2.2. Just listening to the sat box when just turned on sounded really good.

S~

Wow. They have really improved since my last Pioneer 1020 or whatever it was. MCACC was a breeze. Watching Lone Survivor. I hear sounds, clinks of ammo leaving the rifle, that I did not hear on the Denon 2112 it is replacing. Sound is crystal clear as opposed to the muddleness (new word) of the past Pioneer. Really improved MCACC. HDCP 2.2 works as it is supposed to. Watched a little Daredevil off of NF 4k and a free sample off of Video unlimited 4K. No compatibility issues while I was watching.

Conclusion: Easiest receiver setup ever. Crystal clear sound. Light. Low price. If anyone needs a basic receiver, I would highly recommend this one so far. If you need more, try out the VSX-90.

S~

Pioneer Elite with MCCAC Pro is def the #2 in line for me behind D&M.

I like what they have done lately. If they had offered a quality preamp I would have strongly considered it vs the 7702.

That will replace my Marantz SR6005. For now. Then I'll be ready for a projector. Still have to consider the AV7005. Been 4 years or so since I've replaced audio gear.

S~

First minor irritant. For some reason I can't get auto to remember that 2 channel PCM channsls (i.e. ION) are prologic. When I set it to ProLogic and change back to a DD station (i.e. CBS) it shows ext. stereo instead of DD. Has to be a setting somewhere I'll need to find when I have a little more time. Never had this with D&M. It remembers automatically.

S~

http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/vsx-45-and-vsx-90-preview

Executive Overview
Pioneer recently released two VSX Elite series of AV receivers for 2015. The VSX-45 and VSX-90. We’re curious to see how the recent merger between Onkyo and Pioneer will affect new products, but initially we're pleased to see that they remedied problems with previous features such as lack of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. One of the biggest changes in Pioneer’s Elite line is the revised rear panel layout that’s easier to read and a new icon-based GUI and wireless application to simplify setup. With all these features, plus 4k Ultra HD video ready in a price point starting below $500 for their VSX-45 these two receivers really grabbed our interest. The VSX-90 steps it up with Dolby Atmos for $700 making it one of the most affordable AV receivers with the latest immersive surround sound support.

Last edited:
First minor irritant. For some reason I can't get auto to remember that 2 channel PCM channsls (i.e. ION) are prologic. When I set it to ProLogic and change back to a DD station (i.e. CBS) it shows ext. stereo instead of DD. Has to be a setting somewhere I'll need to find when I have a little more time. Never had this with D&M. It remembers automatically.

S~
teachsac -- Have found a solution to this problem? I just picked up VSX-45 and I'm experiencing the same issue. It keeps switching to ext. stereo instead of DD. There has to be a setting that I'm missing that will enable it to remember automatically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)