Pixelation and Picture Drop out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kianrafiee

Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
I've had techs come out 7 times now. Yes thats right, 7 times.

I'm getting pixelation on my local HD channel 11(NBC). Sometimes it's just pixelation for a few seconds with sound drop out and sometimes the channel just drops out and I get a black screen and then the picture and sound comes back after a few seconds. I'm using component cables by the way.

I don't remember now if it occured on any of the other local hd channels. I have had the picture drop out for 1 second on channels like USA and FX so its not that bad on those channels.

So far they've tried rewiring the cable in the room since there cable outlet in my moms room goes under the carpet and to my room across the hall. Then they tried adding a wire from the outside of the house through the window. They said the 103 transponder which is local HD channels should get a signal of about 70. I was getting 63 before. Then they tried realigning the dish which resulted in signal of about 66 on the 103.

Those 3 things didn't work so they then tried replacing the receiver which was an H20-600. Now I've got a H20-100 and the problem still persists.

The next time there coming out there going to replace the dish.

Does anyone here know what could be the problem? Is it the 13 FT length of cable from my moms room to my room being too long and thus degrading the HD signal?

Is it maybe DirecTV's own signal problem with NBC in HD in my area? Is anyone else getting pixelation on NBC?

Well I just noticed sound drop out on channel 2(ABC). It was during an HD broadcast but it wasn't an HD commercial.

Watching the Colt's / Patriot's game last night I had picture and sound drop-out. I've had this forever with HD but have never pursued any calls to Tech support yet.

Hopefully I won't have to go through this many service calls like you. Did they "comp" you anything for all your trouble?

Nope they haven't offered me anything in the 7 times I've dealt with them so far.

Someone is now coming out tommorow to drill a hole in the wall and add a cable through there. Didn't want it to have to come to this but I guess I have no other choice. I hope it works, I'll update here after I see what happens.

You are not alone. I have the same issues mostly during sporting events on my HD locals. It happened during the bucs game and the nascar race. When it happens, I changed to sat 103 and check my signals. They are as steady as they can be. I'm on my 3rd HR20. That's DTV's way of correcting the problem. They have also sent techs to my home and they all say it's not the dish, lnbs or cables. They blame the unit and it's faulty software.
The caller id on my unit is still not working properly. They show under the caller id menu but they don't display when the phone rings. DTV blames my VOIP. BS! Other DTV receivers display the info correctly including my DTV TIVO unit.

I've had this problem with the HI-DEF channels only - Directv sent techs out about 4 times with each one telling me it was a different problem ( 1) neighbors tree blocking signal ? 2) a crimp in the cable. 3) loose connections. 4) dish realignment Ect... _ Problem finally solved when I insisted Directv to replace my receiver - Long story short - The problem is solved with a new receiver. I even had a senior tech come out (he was the one who told me it was a crimped cable???) Good luck -

Have you guys checked the HD local OTA? Good bet it's a local station problem. MY CBS station OTA has video and audio dropouts quite a bit and going on Sat isn't going to make that go away.

You should check your local HD thread on AVS to see if your local station has a problem. Not saying it does but it's a good bet.

They replaced the receiver with one manufactered in august of this year though. But I still get pixelation.

Now I'm starting to feel like putting a hole in the wall to run cable through is a bad idea :(

DirecTV tech came out last week and installed new wiring and put a hole in my bedroom wall for the new cable.

Ofcourse that didn't help at all. Still getting pixelation and picture/sound drop out.

I'm located in Atlanta, GA and I didn't notice any posts at AVS about picture drop outs on channels 11 and 69.

Channel 69 here which is the local UPN/CW suffers the worst from the pixellation and picture drop out. It's happening on and off every 20-30 minutes that I've noticed it so far. I've never watched this channel before but I happened to catch Smallville on in HD and ofcourse I got the pixellation and everything. Now today it's been happening on and off.

Just so the tech doesn't think I'm crazy, I went ahead and recorded the channel with my camera.

Here are 3 clips, theres no sound but you can clearly see where it pixelates and in the second clip the picture completely drops out toward the end.

There small 15 second clips:

http://www.kianrafiee.com/dscn1764.MOV

http://www.kianrafiee.com/dscn1763.MOV

http://www.kianrafiee.com/dscn1766.MOV

Don't know what to do though. I tried calling and asking if they could please give me an HR20 to try out and see if the problem would go away since 3 H20 receivers didn't fix the problem and the lady in retention said she couldn't do that.

Local Mpeg4 Format Problem

The problem you are having is happening all over the country. My HD locals ABC; NBC; CBS and Fox all are doing the same thing..Freezing up making a noise and loosing the sound for about 5 to ten second... My Mpeg 4 system was install in Feb.06 and has been doing it from day one ...seems to be worst at night 7pm on.... This is a problem on DirecTV end... I have an over the air antenna and the local HD channels come in perfect...Directv will not own up to it and the tech you talk to over the phone knows even less about what going on in real world..all they wont to do is sent somone out to waste your time and their money(really your money)...Lot of luck with this problem going to wait until Feb of next year and hope they fix the problem if not I will say goodby to Directv... by the way its not the box or alignment are problem of any equipment on your end..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts