Pixelation...?

Rixta

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
NYC
I'm sure this question has been asked many times before so apologies for that....but I'm new here so you will have to excuse me.

Does anyone have a decent explanation of why severe pixelation can occur on certain HD channels at certain times? For example, a couple of nights ago UHD had crazy pixelation, but the nexy day was perfect...then last night it was ABC's turn. It only affects 1 or 2 channels at a time and all of the others are ok....seems weird.

Thanks
Rick

Rixta,

welcome to the forum. I do not know why you are getting pixelation. I know UHD is a very poor transmittion everywhere - sat or cable. I never liked the channel (except for BSG). So I really do not watch that channel. It is about the only channel that I do not watch because it always display poor PQ for me in either cable/satellite.

I do not know about ABCHD. I find myself watching mostly HBOHD, showtimeHD, StarzHD, INHD and YESHD and I haven't experienced any heavy pixelation on those channels. It is sometimes to explain pixelation especially when it is not consistent in one particular channel. When you do actually see the pixelation --- explotions, fast action, etc?

Hi Sean,
Thanks for the reply....after reading some other posts I decided to go and get an inline amplifier yesterday. I think I have resolved it now.

Before connecting it I checked if I had any bad channels and sure enough, ABC & UHD were again in bad shape, but everything else was ok.

I then connected the amplifier and kaboom, those channels came in perfectly...

I then found out how to check the signal strength on the cable box (SA8300) and found that before the amp was in, the signal was -20db on some channels. After the amp went in it went to -5db.

So...I obviously have some signal issues but I think it is due to the cable length and the fact that there are probably 4-5 splitters around the house - I bought the house that way!

Anyway, let's hope I can watch BSG happily again!
Thanks
Rick

It was just a standard Radio Shack one for $30....nothing special I don't think.

R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts