Pixelization

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lowleadman

Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hi

New to the forum.

My problem is moderate to severe pixelization.

I have a Hitachi 65SWX20 high def rear projection. A few weeks a go, Directv came and set me up with a new dish (5lnb) and their latest set top box so I could receive
local channels in hd. The picture is suberb, but I experience pixelization on both hd and sd channels. It's not constant, but every minute or so I get a patch, sometimes as big as half of the screen size. It lasts only a second, but it is quite annoying. I had to purchase a hdmi/dvi cable to make the connection between box and monitor. I checked the signal strength and all of the satellites are registering 80-85. The tech who replaced my dish moved it further up the roof to avoid a few trees that could obstruct a clear signal. Is it possible that the pixelization is caused by the cable? Everything else seems to be in order. When I get the pixelization there is no audio dropoff, just video.

Also, is it better to set the box to "native"? I assumed that in doing so, the box would just switch to the correct incoming signal from the broadcaster. Is it better to leave in "native or not?

Any guidance as to what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lowleadman

I had a pixelation problem that 3 techs couldnt figure out. Whenever I called Directv, they told me to reset the receiver (unplug it for 15 seconds) and the pixelation would dissapear for awhile. Eventually it would reappear. In the end Directv replaced my receiver and the problem is gone.

Thanks John

I hope you are wrong though. The set top box is brand new with one week of wear and tear. When the Directv tech brought the equipment over, all boxes were sealed, but I will try your recommendation.

How did you eventually stop this from happening, or do you just periodically reset the box?

Lowleadman

Not sure what type box you have, but iof you got the 5LNB you have most likely got HD package, so I'm assuming you have an H20 Receiver. This happened with a replacement H20 I received, and after going through TONS of tweaks & tricks with D* Techs, and after 2 hours on the phone, they deemed the box defective. They immediatley sent me a new one.

IMO the H20's have too many problems and should be recalled & replaced. If it's not too late, (first 30 days) (might want to threaten cancelling since its ok for 30 days w/o contract pay out) and tell them you want to upgrade to DVR, and get the new HR20, you should get that free as a new sunscriber right now, but I could be wrong.

If the box is ok, then it's possible the installer did a crap job on the dish install.

lowleadman said:
Thanks John

I hope you are wrong though. The set top box is brand new with one week of wear and tear. When the Directv tech brought the equipment over, all boxes were sealed, but I will try your recommendation.

How did you eventually stop this from happening, or do you just periodically reset the box?

Lowleadman

The only way it stopped was by swapping out the receiver. Once Directv sent me the replacement, the pixelation dissapeared. My original receiver was brand new also. I had the techs that Directv sent out insisting it was a neighbors tree, but in the end it was the receiver.

I think John is right, I have an older Hughes Box, and don't have any pixelization on that TV, but with my H20, which is less than 6 months old, the problem persists...

I will probably have DirecTV swap it out in the near future...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)