Place your bets...7 new TMP HD channels at 110.

Maybe they could upconvert and stretch all the old Charlie Chats and Tech Chats and put them in a loop. Chat HD.

I can sympathize to some extent about more HD. But I really think it far more important that the HD we have become "real" HD, not some weirdly stretched version of "HD." Just look at the Food Network. Some of those shows almost look great. But the edges of the screen are stretched, and you get this weird video "wobble" in a pan. And Rachael gains and loses weight as she moves across the set.

Time, I suppose, will ease these problems. At least we're past the old idiotic arguments of the past, where there were claims that ATSC "would never work" or HD "had no market."

Stretch?

I don't have dish HD yet, but what is this stretching you describe? Why is a stretched image coming from the satellite? Usually it's a result of having your tv in the wrong mode...

Did anyone read in Scott's Satellite Dish, he said that MavHD in now in MPEG4. I didn't even know that we had this channel.

It's been sitting there unavailable in the channel guide for a while now (it's been there since I subbed to HD Absolute back in July).

And I wonder if the those 8 HD PPV's that launched a couple of weeks ago on 77 will turn into the EA equivalent of the new Temp Channels...

Last edited:
MTV HD aired the VMA awards in HD during the live broadcast. All 1000 repeats were in SD.

See, this is unforgivable. It's awful that, for example, Cartoon Network hasn't shown their HD programs in HD, but at least they suck consistently. We know that "Cartoon Network HD" consists of one piece of equipment in a rack.

But if MTV actually produced and broadcast something in HD, why not the reruns?

Did anyone read in Scott's Satellite Dish, he said that MavHD in now in MPEG4. I didn't even know that we had this channel.

That's not the same thing as MavTV. It's an RSN (Dallas Mavericks) that's in a weird position.

My seven picks would be
#1 Speed Channel
#2 FOX News
#3 FX
#4 Outdoor Channel
#5 CMT
#6 AMC
#7 Turner Classic Movies

I don't have dish HD yet, but what is this stretching you describe? Why is a stretched image coming from the satellite? Usually it's a result of having your tv in the wrong mode...
Click the stretch-o-vision link in my signature for the most basic explanation.
2461322417_38a2b99475_o.gif

Were these perhaps the new mpeg4 channels replacing the old HD mpeg2 channels?

Nope. The 7 new HD channels are new streams running at 1 megabit...which means they are slates. The bandwidth of the other MPEG2 channels really didn't change that much since nothing was really added to the bandwidth load with the 1 megabit slates. So the quality should be really great for right now, don't expect smaller recordings just yet, maybe in a couple of days ;)

Probably the new Comcast offerings plus some Showtime HD. Hope I'm wrong. Just about all netlets are into reruns for the holidays anyway so whether any new national HD is forthcoming this month isn't very important. E* needed a marketing splash at the start of the holiday marketing season; it never materialized. Very strange behavior. I would not be surprised if new national HD doesn't appear, premium movie channels excluded.

See, this is unforgivable. It's awful that, for example, Cartoon Network hasn't shown their HD programs in HD, but at least they suck consistently. We know that "Cartoon Network HD" consists of one piece of equipment in a rack.
Hasnt Cartoon Network been running Star Wars: The Clone Wars in HD the past few weeks?