Planning to buy a hard drive now? Better wait...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Western Digital has reopened their plant in Thailand ahead of schedule and is ramping up production immediately. They even raised guidance on their stock based on anticipated sales. It is expected supply will soon meet demand. Seagate was less impacted by the floods but still suffered shortages. Elevated pricing that in some cases exceeds 100% will soon roll back to prior flood levels.

I wondered what had happened. I went to newegg a few days ago to check some drives and my jaw hit the floor. I have never seen the prices that high before.

The only hard drive I would want to purchase now is an SSD for my Mac Mini. Other than that the 500GB drive that's in it now suffices just fine. :)

The only hard drive I would want to purchase now is an SSD for my Mac Mini. Other than that the 500GB drive that's in it now suffices just fine. :)

That strikes me as kinda funny. SSD for a Mac Mini. For mini jobs. Hard disks are for real Big Macs doing real big jobs. SSD, bigger than a thumb drive but smaller than a hard drive and priced like money doesn't matter.

This happened:

WD_FloodB_689.jpg

BETTER STILL WAIT

I was in MicroCenter a couple of days ago, and the WD black 2TB internals were $220 @! :eek:

They still had a sign up: "Due to the shortage of hard drives, we request each customer buy no more than two."

I can wait a month or 2. Or 3.

That strikes me as kinda funny. SSD for a Mac Mini. For mini jobs. Hard disks are for real Big Macs doing real big jobs. SSD, bigger than a thumb drive but smaller than a hard drive and priced like money doesn't matter.

The current Mac Mini is only Mini in size, not performance capability.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Well, these high drive prices put me off putting a NAS together and now I am paying the price. A 5 month old WD 1.5TB external just died while sitting on my desk and 800gb of video went with it. Almost none of which I had backed up yet. Some of it I can restore from my personal dvd and bluray's but most of it is gone. I just RMA'ed the bad drive hopefully I get a decent replacement from Western Digital.

I have another brand new WD 1.5Tb I just took out of the box and it is bad too. Now gotta do a second RMA on the Western Digital website. Starting to annoy me. I have a Seagate 1.5tb that is a couple of years old and it is still going strong. Of course everything on it is backed up.

Yep, I am looking now. I normally have things backed up, but I kept putting it off thinking this was a new drive and I could get by until I had more free time. That's what I get for thinking instead of doing. I just have too much data now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)