Plasma owners - clicking?

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...
For you plasma HDTV owners, I have a question:

I've had my new 58" plasma set now for about a month and roughly 7-10 days ago, it began making a "clicking" sound for about the first hour after I turn it on. It's intermittent, not a constant "clicking". It doesn't affect the picture or anything else...it's almost like the cabinet is expanding or something. The "clicking" isn't all that loud and I can't see anything going on (like sparks or arc'ing) going on inside the set during the time that it's making the "clicking" sounds.

Has anyone else experienced this with their plasma tv's? If so, what the heck is it?

Thanks!

Sounds like it could be arcing; reminds me of computer monitors I've had. Tech told me it was caused by dust in the connection from the tube to the screen. But I don't know enough about plasma TVs to tell if this is the problem. I'd have it looked at by a knowledgeable tech. Good luck.

my 58' panasonic has never done anything like this. if i were you, i would get on the phone right now to the tech support people connected to your set, and get it logged in, so that it will be covered on the warranty.

I've got a 50" Panasonic and I've read that some Panasonic owners have experienced this and when they called tech. for warranty coverage their plasmas were fitted with a "felt kit". From what I've read the clicking is from expansion of some of the parts and the felt kit basically absorbs the expansion and noise.

A "felt kit", huh? That sounds interesting. The first 2-3 weeks I've had this new hdtv, it didn't make these sounds. Then about 5-8 or so days ago, it started making a "clicking" or "popping" sound during the first hour or so after I turn it on. It doesn't sound like cabinet expansion though...my former hdtv, a DLP, would occasionally make a loud pop or crack as the cabinet underwent heating or cooling, but this is a different sound...

It sounds like heat expansion to me and I do not think it is specific to plasmas. But if you don't think thats what it is, you might as well get it into the shop.

From what I understand the clicking some of the Panasonic owners have experienced is quite distracting (can be heard loudly during shows). I get some clicking from expansion but nothing that distracts me and it only lasts a few minutes. I'm curious as to what the techs find. Keep us updated!

The tech said this is "definitely not normal behavior" and now we're trying to determine if it's coming from the speakers in the set or if it's something else inside the tv...

So, this afternoon, after the panel had been off for about 2 hours, I turned it on and muted the audio. Still heard a few quiet "clicks". I then went into the settings and set the speakers off completely, just to make sure. Sat there and watched the silent tv, listening for "clicks" and heard a quiet one after 6-7 minutes. Turned the speakers back on and haven't heard any "clicks" at all for the past 20 minutes...

So, I can't call it conclusive yet. I'll do another test tomorrow and get some conclusive info...

If this is an expansion-related problem, the intensity and frequency of the clicks will likely be a function of the temp. differential between the "cold" TV and its normal operating temp. You might want to try to factor that into your experiments. It might also explain why the problem took some time to show up. You bought the TV during warmer weather. Now that it's cooling off in the fall there is a greater possibility for a larger temp. differential. Try a warm start vs. a cold start to see if there's any difference...

The intensity/frequency of the clicks seems to be a function of temp and time. The longer the set is on, the less frequent the clicks occur. In the first hour or two of operation, they are more frequent and maybe a little louder (subjective observation) and after 3-4 or more hours, they taper off to being both very infrequent and far more quiet, or so it seems to me.

I'm still conducting tests based on speakers muted vs. speakers off at various times of operation and temps to try and isolate the issue.

Well, it's definitely inside the TV. I can hear the clicking during the first hour or two of operation with the speakers both muted and off.

I've contacted the tech and Monday they'll talk it over and decide what to do - take it in and figure it out or replace it. I'm for the latter, since it's only been in my house about a month...

No idea... It's not a localized sound. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the left side of the tv, sometimes the right side, sometimes somewhere around the center... Never happens when it's off...completely silent when off (which makes sense)...

Here's the solution:

Today, they replaced my month-and-a-half old plasma hdtv with a new one, same make and model.

The clicking/popping was getting worse and was beginning to affect the picture at times, so they decided to just replace it with a new one and let the manufacturer deal with the problem.

The new one is working fine (it's ought to be, it's only been on for a little over an hour). :)

So we'll see how this one does. Hopefully it'll be just fine...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)