Plasma Sparklies

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
I just went to a friend's house who had a Samsung Plasma TV, (sorry, don't know the model) he asked me if the sparklies he was seeing were normal. When I saw what he was talking about, I told him it was definitely NOT normal. He asked if it could be repaired, and what kind of costs would be involved. These lessen slightly the longer the TV has been on, but are always there, mostly along the outer portions of the screen. He's only had it a couple of years, and he said it's been like that for about a year and gotten worse. Here's a few pictures I took.

Attachments

• plasma1.jpg
    plasma1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 509
  • plasma2.jpg
    plasma2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 542
  • plasma3.jpg
    plasma3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 372
I get them sometimes on my Hitachi. It has to do with the automatic contrast/brightness control. If the picture is bright the ALC is happy. If the room is dark and the picture is dark the ALC boosts the black level to hell and creates sparklies. When you disable that feature the sparklies go away, but then you have some other issues with the contrast in variable light conditions. If the room is bright it won't happen either.

See ya
Tony

Poor quality cables perhaps? If it is degrading slowly perhaps the connecter is slowly corroding. Remove the video cable(s) and clean the connectors. Let us know if it helps.

I agree about cables. Also is he using a A/V receiver and running the signal through it? Some receivers add noise to the picture because of poor video conversion.

Supposedly Pioneer is dropping them, Vizio has and neither Sony or Toshiba make them. Leaving only LG, Panasonic and Samsung.

The sparkling on the Plasma TV screen may be a problem called Error Diffusion. It is a common problem with Samsung Plasma TVs, evidently heat and voltage related. A technician may be able to adjust the sparkles out by adjusting the voltage on the power supply board. You could also try using a fan to help cool it down.

The sparkling on the Plasma TV screen may be a problem called Error Diffusion. It is a common problem with Samsung Plasma TVs, evidently heat and voltage related. A technician may be able to adjust the sparkles out by adjusting the voltage on the power supply board. You could also try using a fan to help cool it down.

I'll pass that on to him too. Thanks.

Supposedly Pioneer is dropping them, Vizio has and neither Sony or Toshiba make them. Leaving only LG, Panasonic and Samsung.

I didn't expect PDPs to be a long term solution, but I'm really surprised at how fast they're fading.

I didn't expect PDPs to be a long term solution, but I'm really surprised at how fast they're fading.

Me too. I love my Panny Plasma! I originally bought a Samsung plasma last year and read about the sparkles on avs forum. Many owners ended up calling Samsung and got their board replaced under warranty. I took mine back and went with the panasonic and never looked back. Just my $.02.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts